Whooping Cough Vacccine

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrs_lynn.c

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wondering if any ladies received their whooping cough vaccine. Today in working with a pharmacist she told me about the new research that pg women should be given another dose of the whopping cough vaccine around 27-32 weeks of pg. I read online and it seems that the majority of deaths attributable to WC are in infants 1 month or less and our children cannot get the vaccine for the first 2. Given this, I want to ask my doc on Wednesday about getting it. Just wondering if anyone else has received their vaccine already.

March 18th, 2013, 03:22 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have not had one, nor has my doctor even mentioned it to me.

March 18th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will at my next appt. Waiting until I fall in that window of transmitting some of the antibodies to baby. I actually almost got it in the 1st tri because I was overdue for it, but then I had a cold so we waited, and then the new recommendation came out so I was glad we waited! I am soooo afraid of pertussis for newborns, and I live in an undervaccinated community (under 85% of kindergardeners are fully up to date in this county), we have pertussis, measles, etc outbreaks pretty frequently, so I feel it is super important for me to get all my shots and make sure my family and babies get their shots too.

March 18th, 2013, 03:34 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is also known as TdaP. I got mine before being released from the hospital with Bourne. They wouldn't give it to pregnant women at the time. Those are very new regulations regarding giving it to pregnant women.

You can have titers run to see if you have immunity to pertussis. If you have immunity, then that immunity should be passed from the placenta to baby without the need for additional vaccines. If my ob insisted on giving me the vax while pregnant (she hasn't mentioned, so she may not) then I would request the titers first before receiving the shot.

I didn't even realize the CDC now recommends all pregnant women receive it, regardless of prior immunization
March 18th, 2013, 03:43 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I had my titers done by my midwife when I had my labs done. I'm immune.

March 18th, 2013, 03:46 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I haven't, but I was planning to ask my doctor about it at my next appt.
March 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Here is the link to the CDC recommendation. Vaccines: Pubs/Guidelines for Vaccinating Pregnant Women Just information for whatever preferences of each.

March 18th, 2013, 04:30 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a Tdap booster done 3 years ago. I think its supposed to be good for 10 years? I will talk to my OB about it... thanks for the heads up!

March 18th, 2013, 05:13 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my TDap before I was released from the hospital when I had Kiefer.

March 18th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Veteran
I had mine today.

March 19th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
My son's pediatrician recommendedthat we get it when he was a newborn since babies aren't fully vaccinated until their 3rd dose at 6 months. I didn't get it in the hospital. So hubby and I had ours when my son was about 4 months old. He works as a high school teacher and I didn't want him bringing it home to us. That commercial with the woman holding her baby that is coughing so much scared the crap out of me.

March 19th, 2013, 07:03 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
My doctor wanted me to get mine even if it wasn't due so getting it at my next appointment 29 weeks. Also had my SO get one too.
March 19th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Huh, I didn't even know that was a thing I was supposed to do...no one has mentioned it to me.

Although, on the topic of immunity, I did find out that I'm immune to chicken pox...which is pretty cool.

March 19th, 2013, 07:17 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got mine right after delivery and they said we should be good as long as I was breastfeeding. I guess I'll see what they say this time.

March 19th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Mrs_lynn.c's Avatar Expecting#5
My doctor wont give it to.me until 28 weeks but im getting as soon as i can because my kids school.was sending whole classrooms of kids home for WC and i dont want to tak no chances.
zkat likes this.
March 20th, 2013, 08:11 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_lynn.c View Post
My doctor wont give it to.me until 28 weeks but im getting as soon as i can because my kids school.was sending whole classrooms of kids home for WC and i dont want to tak no chances.
YIKES! I would be getting it ASAP in this situation also. Whooping cough is one of the vax's we did on time because it is so scary in babies.
March 20th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
I will at my next appt. Waiting until I fall in that window of transmitting some of the antibodies to baby. I actually almost got it in the 1st tri because I was overdue for it, but then I had a cold so we waited, and then the new recommendation came out so I was glad we waited! I am soooo afraid of pertussis for newborns, and I live in an undervaccinated community (under 85% of kindergardeners are fully up to date in this county), we have pertussis, measles, etc outbreaks pretty frequently, so I feel it is super important for me to get all my shots and make sure my family and babies get their shots too.
Yikes!!

March 20th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the heads up I didn't have a clue and my dr. has not mentioned it. I wrote notes to take to my dr.

March 20th, 2013, 09:51 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never had any TDap vax while preg with DD and it wasnt even mentioned to me. But different state and different OB. Will see what my new OB says. We are late vaxers and DD hasnt been on schedule for any vaccines. So i will have to see how many cases of WC happen in my area.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search