Making cloth wipes- help

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 2 Post By MerinSun
  • 2 Post By edgeofelise
  • 1 Post By 4hearts

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Rochelle
I need to supplement my stash of 2 dozen cloth wipes with at least 3 dozen more. I've never attempted to make any before but I understand it should be pretty easy. Just surge the edges. Here's my question:

DH wants me to use old cotton or hemp t-shirts. Is that really going to workout? I feel like that's a silly question but WWYD?

I know there's a couple different ladies here who mentioned making their own and how easy it was but I'm sorry I can't remember exactly who you were.

Thanks for any help. I'd like to get it done asap and have one less thing to do. I have to try to tackle a homemade boppy pillow next month and I'm super novice and scared of sewing machines!
March 19th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It really is very easy. And you're lucky that you have a serger. You certainly can use old t-shirts or even old towels. Whatever feels soft and you think will grab up the BM. I don't see the point of hemp because it takes extra care and you don't really need extra absorbancy while wiping poop.

I used flannel to make my wipes because I wanted to be pretty, lol.

You just cut whatever material you are using into squares or rectangles in whatever size you think will be the most useful. I cut mine into narrow rectangles to fit into a disposable wipe container. Some people like to make theirs bigger (8x8 inches or so) so that they use fewer wipes but I've seen some sold as small as 5x5 inches.

Because I don't have a serger what I did was flip the flannel (two pieces) wrong side out, did a simple straight stitch all around except for an inch or two, popped it right side out again and then straight stitched the last couple of inches (taking care to tuck material down inside so no ragged/raw edges visible). I then sewed a diamond shape in the middle so that the material wouldn't bunch in the wash. In the course of about 1 X-Files episode I can do about 10-12 wipes, lol.

For $18 I bought enough material to make about 80 wipes. I'm gifting some of that to a friend, lol.
4hearts likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Rochelle
Thanks for taking the time to give me all that info, Merinsun

I've seen someone on here (maybe you) mention hemp needing extra steps but I don't understand that. The hemp t-shirts we have feel mostly like cotton but a tad more durable. I have hemp doublers and throw them in with the prefolds to wash. Why does hemp need extra care and what should I be doing?

Did you use cotton flannel or poly?

Sadly, I don't have a serger. I know nothing about sewing machines and just assumed there was a stitch setting to make it do that serge-edge. Ah, oh well.

I will have to take a look at the t-shirts we have stored in a bag. I know some of them are tye-dye which would be pretty. Thank you for the tutorial. That sounds very doable for me and I'll probably keep them in a disposable wipes container as well. For my previous newborn I was ended up using disposable wipes and this time I'm going to steer clear of that.

This makes me want to start on it right now! But, I have a bunch of chores first, bleh..
March 19th, 2013, 11:13 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
There is a zig-zag stitch, but it depends on the type of material you are using on whether that will be good enough to keep it from fraying. Without a serger and using cotton, I would suggest turned and topstitched. I have made a few cloth wipes out of flannel. I used two different colors to be pretty. I have heard some use cotton terry, flannel, or sherpa.
4hearts likes this.
March 19th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Rochelle
Thank you Courtney.

"I would suggest turned and topstitched." What do you mean by this? Sorry for my ignorance. I am like a 10 yr old learning the machine for the first time. I have avoided it like the plague so much so that I went out of my way to hand-stitch things even though it took waaay longer!
March 19th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hemp as a doubler or insert is prone to build up and can hold onto smells much longer and may need to be stripped periodically. If you have hemp things and they don't stink then you don't need to worry, lol.

Because it's a hemp t-shirt it probably is a blend. Even if it's not and it feels soft then by all means, use it

I believe "turned and topstitched" is something similar to what I was describing you do. That's where you straight stitch two pieces together and then turn them right side out again and stitch on top of it again. Or maybe you fold down the edges of two pieces and then straight stitch them together.

My flannel is all cotton
QueenCrafty and 4hearts like this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 20th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Rochelle
Thanks again Merinsun. I may get some cotton flannel cuzz I loves it and maybe do one side that and the other side cotton or hemp t-shirt.

I will keep you both posted!
March 20th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks for asking this bc I was curious too. I will be asking my mama to make me wipes bc I don't have the time or patience. I was wondering what material is best to use.

So do you ladies think cotton flannel is the best?

March 20th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's just what I use. I also use toilet paper to clean up my toddler's sticky BMs because I don't want to spend time spraying them off the cloth, lol. Other people use bamboo velor or terry cloth (towels) because it grabs a bit better. I was going to chop up one of my old ratty towels this weekend and make a few (otherwise I'd have to throw it away, lol). I went back to look at websites I first visited and a lot of moms like to just cut old t-shirts and many don't even bother to sew them, you just size and cut.

March 20th, 2013, 11:02 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Using old t-shirts is easy. It's a cotton interlock, so there is very little raveling with it. For me, I think of turned and topstitched like making a little pillow case. Put the right sides together, stitch along the edge (1/4" seam allowance) except leave enough space on one side so that you can go in and turn it right side out. Once you have that, fold the open edge in, pin it, and stitch along the top to close it.
March 20th, 2013, 12:41 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just cut up old flannel receiving blankets, no sewing. They frayed a lot but I really didn't care as it didn't affect their performance at all. T-shirts would be even better and that's what I'm using this time because they won't fray nearly as much and we have a lot more velcro in the NB stash, but I just don't see any point in making them pretty when they're used to wipe up poop, lol.
MerinSun and 4hearts like this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

March 20th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Rochelle
I totally forgot abou that! I was soo going to do that and it slipped my mind. I will do one side t-shirt and one side old receiving blanket Save moolah
edgeofelise likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search