BTDT Moms... Breast pumps

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2013, 08:45 PM
~*Kudzu*~'s Avatar ~praying for a miracle~
I used the Medela Pump in Style with all 3 of mine. With both girls it was to store when they couldn't eat enough. I was like a milk cow... even after they weaned I fed them out of the freezer for months! I would pump first and then nurse b/c I had so much that if I only fed them I wouldn't empty. With DS, he was a preemie so I had to pump and take it to the hospital. I used the Medela storage bottles and bags. They worked great, but I did not use those to feed with. I preferred the Gerber drop ins at the time. I am thinking about TommeeTippee bottles.
The electric (or battery) is essential and double pumping is great! Gets it done in half the time. I wish I had known about the hands free attachment when I was pumping. That sounds AWESOME!

10/2001 09/2002 05/2003 01/2011 10/2012
March 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy220 View Post
I am interested in everyone's replies because I have been researching the Freestyle and I was worried because a lot of reviews said it does not hold up to everyday use and that the Pump in Style is much more reliable so I was pretty much scared away from the Freestyle...
My Freestyle was a work horse with a minimum of 8 times a day for 6 months and it was still going strong. My Pump in Style, on the other hand, died after less than two months of that kind of use. I don't know if my experience was an anomaly or not, but the Freestyle was amazing and I am all ready to bust is out to use again.

March 22nd, 2013, 12:12 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
I got the Ameda through my insurance. I hope it works well. FTM so I have no clue what i am doing ha.

I got the storage bags with it.

So fill me in ladies. I will pump into the 2 attached bottles on pump then dump into the storage bags and freeze them?? What is the best why to unthaw the bags? I have a cheap bottle warmer on my registry but I assume that only works for bottles?

Just wondering the best procedure.
March 22nd, 2013, 12:30 PM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
When I was breastfeeding I did not work. Although I did have a manual pump, it did not work very well for me, and if I had some reason to "pump", like when I was making their cereal, I just hand expressed the little bit I needed.

March 22nd, 2013, 01:16 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
Medela Pump n' style.

When you buy the pump you get bottles and all you need to store your milk on the go. You can buy the extras at Target or really anywhere. What I didn't do until the end (and I wish I did it earlier) was when I got home to pour the pumped milk into a plastic baby bottle, freeze it, and then keep adding the ounces until I filled a bottle into a single serving. This way I didn't have to thaw out the little bottles to pour into a separate bottle for serving.

I believe the medela bottle openings are pretty standard size so you can use other milk storage bottles. You don't need to use the same bottles as what you use to pump.

Just lurking reading about pumps.. wanted to give you a heads up that you shouldn't be adding warm milk to frozen milk. I'd refridgerate both bottles then combine them (if that makes sense?) Just won't want you to ruin milk because it really is liquid gold. LOL

March 22nd, 2013, 04:37 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bobbie - to answer your question. I would pump and refrigerate I would add to it next pumping until I had a full bag. Then I would mark the date in the bag and freeze.

To thaw, I would usually just out in the fridge until it thawed but sometimes I would set it on the counter if I needed it faster. It is not recommended to microwave breast milk for a cople of a couple of reasons. It destroys the anti bodies and it is hard to get even heating and you could have hot spots.

When I pumped at work, I usually stored in the fridge and dropped off with Bourne the next morning. My frozen stash was mostly for when I traveled overnight.

Kat
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search