BTDT Moms... Breast pumps

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What pump have you used? Manual, double electric, single? Brand?

Do you work outside the home?

Stay at home moms-- what have you used? How often did you pump? Did you pump to store?

Do you use bottles of the same brand?

I feel so overwhelmed about this. I don't know what I'll need. HELP ME!
March 19th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
It really depends on how you plan on feeding. I tried to pump with DD to get my milk to come in and on occasion after that but I never responded well to the pump at all. I didn't go back to school till she was 9 months old and by that time she could go the 3 hours I was away without eating and also was ingesting some solid food.

If your home all the time there really isn't any big reason to pump (unless your out or away often). I know some people like to share the responsibility of feeding baby with family/partner but considering you have to pump for the feeding your missing it doesn't sound like all that much of a break to me (just personal opinion though).

You also have to be careful not to pump yourself into oversupply, which for some people can happen relatively easily. I was personally quite happy to just exclusively breastfeed, and had no real reason to ever pump a stash, although I know that is not realistic or possible for all mothers.

The pump I did have was the medela swing, although I could always get more from hand expression. Not sure why.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
March 19th, 2013, 09:27 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I had a Medela Harmony manual pump with my last, and I LOVED it. Or would have, if I hadn't ended up exclusively pumping. A single manual pump + exclusively pumping = lots of time pumping. But it worked better than the little electric one I had an I never had a problem with not getting enough pumped for my son.

This time around I intended to get a double electric (not sure which one yet) in case of similar latch issues so I can spend less time pumping. If *knock on wood* there are no latch issues this time, I'll still pump to keep up supply and build up a stash for when DH is alone with the baby, etc.
March 19th, 2013, 09:31 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I'm a SAHM and EBF, but planned on pumping for bottles. The BF'ing relationship was most important, so we waited before introducing the bottle. By the time we did, he wanted nothing to do with it (or anything fake, no paci's, no fake nipples at all!) I wasn't too sad about it, and DH didn't seem to mind.

I have a single electric pump from Medela (can't remember what it's called), and it worked well for me. I had a TON of bags of frozen breast milk I had saved up, I ended up giving it away since he never used it. I would usually pump after he was done feeding, and I would do both sides just to make sure they were completely empty and there was enough hind milk in the bags.

ETA: I was an overproducer and never had any issues with milk supply. My supply would increase when I pumped too often (I didn't do it often, it was a PITA lol)

March 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Medela Pump n' style.

When you buy the pump you get bottles and all you need to store your milk on the go. You can buy the extras at Target or really anywhere. What I didn't do until the end (and I wish I did it earlier) was when I got home to pour the pumped milk into a plastic baby bottle, freeze it, and then keep adding the ounces until I filled a bottle into a single serving. This way I didn't have to thaw out the little bottles to pour into a separate bottle for serving.

I believe the medela bottle openings are pretty standard size so you can use other milk storage bottles. You don't need to use the same bottles as what you use to pump.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 19th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Rochelle
I have a double barrel electric pump that a friend handed down to me. I love it for when we are on outings. I pump in the car and the baby has fresh pumped milk in the car. Also while we're on errands so we don't have to constantly find a place for me to nurse. I don't think there's anything wrong at all whatsoever with NIP but I don't enjoy it myself but will do it if necessary. I can't stand being in public period and any extra attention I get from people sends my anxiety levels through the roof. It's hard for my milk to come when I'm anxious anyways.

The brand I have is "The first years" but I'm sure there's better one's out there. I have never had a good time with a manual pump and I wouldn't recommend them.

Last edited by 4hearts; March 19th, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
March 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought a Medela Freestyle Double Electric as i will be probably exclusively pumping(due to nipple issues) It is considered the top of the line the best pump you can get so Ive been told by many moms.
With DD i used some cheap single electric pump and it didnt work well enough I only managed to pump for 2 months before my supply dried up. And I couldnt get more than 8 oz of breast milk a day that way....and DD was drinking alot more than that a day. I did not use the same bottles I used Playtex Ventaire Advanced they have two nipple styles...standard and ones that are bigger like the breast....I used the bigger ones and will again. DD never had a problem with gas or colic or ear infections using those bottles. Everyone Ive recommended them too now swears by them.

March 19th, 2013, 11:07 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I've used a double electric- Medela Pump In Style and Ameda Purely Yours. Both are very good. At the time I used the Ameda, I was working and pumping exclusively for a few months. It definitely did the job just as well as the Medela.

I've also used a single hand pump before. No idea what brand, I just needed a cheap one for a weekend when I forgot to pack my electric pump. At the time, Abri was 18 months old and only nursing twice a day so not a big deal. I was actually surprised how well it pumped, so I will be keeping that one handy if I happen to be out for an afternoon without baby and need to pump for a missed feeding.
March 19th, 2013, 11:11 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First, I had the Medela Pump in Style Advanced. I very quickly realized I hated being bound to the plug and the bag. It also didn't get that great of an output. Luckily, it broke after 2 months. I got a Medela Freestyle after that. LOVED IT! If you end up pumping a lot or, for some reason, have to exclusively pump, this is the one to use, no doubt. The battery and hands free options made it a lot more user friendly and my output about doubled. I was like a ninja cow. I pumped 8-10 times a day (every 2-3 hours when I was awake, 1 night session for a few months, then did away with that) for 8 months and at that point, had enough in the freezer to get DD through the first year all on breast milk. We froze in the plastic storage bags. We would fill bags to their max and, if there was an amount left that wouldn't top off a bag, we would keep it in the fridge until I pumped the next time and could fill the bags. (I exclusively pumped b/c direct nursing was not working out.) We rotated the milk so we were using older frozen milk and saving the newer stuff. It was quite a system, but worked very well for us.

I worked outside of the home three days a week. Because of what I do, I was driving from place to place throughout the day. Whenever I got in the car to drive somewhere, I hooked up the pump, threw a jacket over myself, and pumped on the way. Then I would unhook, put the milk in the cooler, and go on my way. DH helped by getting my pumping supplies for the day packed for me every morning.

I did not use the Medela bottles. We tried them and even the slowest flow was too fast and DD had a lot of issues with spitting up when we used them. We switched to Tommee Tippee and the problem went away instantly. She loved them, we loved them. Actually, all of their products were used were amazing and I think we used everything they had at the time (they have since come out with a single electric breast pump, but I am def not interested in switching pumps).

A note on breast milk storage bags: The Lanisoh ones are cheaper and hold more. There is a reason for that. We didn't find out until we were thawing them (which was after my milk had dried up since we didn't discover them until late in the game) but they leak. And when you put the bag in a cup of water to leak, there goes the milk. We ended up throwing out whole bags bc of it since the water in the cup had to be mixing with the milk in the bag through the holes. We ended up having to put a bag of milk into a ziploc if we were going to thaw in water.

I am really glad that I did the pumping and didn't just give up when we had issues with nursing and I am fully prepared to do it again. I would like to be able to nurse more this time around, but know I will have to pump for when I work and if DH and I are going to have any time out together. The Freestyle is one of the more expensive pumps out there, but it is worth every penny and more. I am so glad we got it.
MamaSkunk likes this.

March 19th, 2013, 12:14 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
What pump have you used? Manual, double electric, single? Brand?all of my kids have had nicu stays so I've used about everything. My favorite has been the medela freestyle that I bought with my last baby. I liked it even more than the hospital pumps. I was pumping every 3 hours for 3 months then was able to cut back to every 3-4hrs..

Do you work outside the home?no but with a premature baby I was still pumping and trying to nurse

Stay at home moms-- what have you used? How often did you pump? Did you pump to store? Yes, I stored as she couldn't drink it all at first.

Do you use bottles of the same brand?yes and no. I used breastflow bottles but this time I'm going to try the medela calma nipples

The nicu gave me tons of containers to store milk in but they took forever to unthaw so I started freezing in the bags in 3oz increments. I agree about the cheap bags, they leaked.
MamaSkunk likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
March 19th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I worked, I used the Medela Pump In Style and it was great for me. I used it 3x/day at work and pumped directly into the Medela bottles. DD wasn't fussy about her bottles, so I didn't need to try out different nipple shapes or anything. I would pump at work, then drop off the bottles of pumped milk at daycare that afternoon when I picked DD up. Then take home the empty bottles she drank that day and wash them to take to work the next day. If I managed to get extra, I'd just freeze it...and I ended up going through my freezer stash because I got pregnant again before she turned 1 and my supply went way down.

With DS, I just got the Medela Harmony manual pump. I was a SAHM, so there was no need to pump, but I wanted to have a little bit of a freezer stash so DH and I could go out without the kids every so often. Worked great!
March 19th, 2013, 04:04 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have two medela pump in styles. With my first I exclusively pumped so I always wanted one to have at work and also incase of a breakdown. Which happened one night! Medela was amazing and 24hour'ed a brand new one out to me the next day without even recieving the broken one first just from listening to the pump over the phone. I can't say enough good things about them.

March 19th, 2013, 04:22 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work outside the home 7-8 hours a day so I did ALOT of pumping with DS. I only pumped some with DD because I was going to school 3 days a week. With both of them, I used the double electric Medela Pump n Style. I absolutely loved it. It comes with the bottles for storing until you get home. Once I got home, I would pour all the milk into the freezer storage bags and freeze the milk that way to save room. I found it easier to thaw them out for taking to daycare than bottles.

This time around, I had to break down and buy a new pump because the motor finally went out on my pump n style. This time I bought the Ameda Purely Yours because I have heard just as many good things and it was less money. Plus, I like that the bottle attachments are pretty universal for this pump so I could theoretically pump straight into a bottle for feeding if need be.

March 19th, 2013, 05:27 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Medela pump in style advanced, double electric. I had a battery adapter pack for times when I didn't have electric. I traveled a lot when DS was little, so I did a lot of pumping. I will be using it again with this one.
March 19th, 2013, 05:46 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used a Medela Pump in Style advanced. I am a teacher and I pumped while on maternity leave 1-2 sessions just to build up some freezer supply. Then, when I went back to work I pumped there like 2-3 times a day. I used the Medela freezer bags or storage bottles to bring milk to daycare.

I am interested in everyone's replies because I have been researching the Freestyle and I was worried because a lot of reviews said it does not hold up to everyday use and that the Pump in Style is much more reliable so I was pretty much scared away from the Freestyle...

I will look into the Ameda now.

Thanks!

March 20th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What pump have you used? Manual, double electric, single? Brand? Medela Pump - double electric. This was 10 and 8 years ago. Get another one though. Electric is required if you are pumping several times daily

Do you work outside the home? I worked full time. Pumped several times per day at work five days a week until each child turned one.

Stay at home moms-- what have you used? How often did you pump? Did you pump to store? N/A

Do you use bottles of the same brand? [COLOR="Magenta"I think I did. However, I would then store in another container.

March 20th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What pump have you used? I can't remember but it was a single breast, electric and cost me like 60 bucks.

Do you work outside the home? No I do not.

Stay at home moms-- I only pumped to dump breastmilk down the sink if I decided to like, go out to the bar the night before or something. I would pump until my milk was clean again.

I used Dr Browns Bottles when I had to to reduce gassiness or excessive spit up.

March 20th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have the medela pump in style backpack double electric & used it with dd. I loved it! for the 1st 3-4 weeks I EBF and after I was done breast feeding I would pump for a little bit to get my stock pile up. At around 4 weeks I started pumping more. I introduced bottles and did a mix of the boob & bottle. When dd got a bottle I would leave the room completely and not say a word bc of she saw or heard me she wanted the boob. I did this to prepare to go back to work.

I worked outside the home with dd and was gone 10-11 hours a day with drive time so I pumped on the way to work and 3 times at work. This time I will work mostly from home but outside the home 2 maybe 3 days a week.

Stay at home moms-- what have you used? How often did you pump? Did you pump to store?
I will still pump when I stay at home to build a small stock pile.

I used Dr. browns I LOVED them and will use them again this time. I just the medela storage containers that came with the pump and I bought these http://http://www.target.com/p/medel...16&term=medela to freeze my milk. I liked the bottles bc I think they froze better and kept the milk longer plus easier to work with, pour ect. Also they are standard size opening so if you wanted you could jus stick a nipple on it.

I feel so overwhelmed about this. I don't know what I'll need. HELP ME!

March 20th, 2013, 06:29 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
This is a good thread lots of info...thanks
March 20th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Manual

No

Just a cheapo manual pump from Target. Not sure of the brand. I pumped occasionally to relieve engorgement when DD was older and crawling, she would have these random on/off days where she'd feed nonstop for a day or two, pull in more supply, and then be too busy playing and crawling around for hours the next day and refuse the breast, and I needed relief!!! Lol. She never ever would drink the milk at all if it was not directly from the breast. And by then she was eating solid foods anyway so it was no big deal. I would usually keep it in the fridge for a day or two before dumping it. It was only ever a few oz at a time.

Now I find it easier to get milk by hand expressing, I used to barely get any, but I think maybe my nipple pores or whatever where the milk comes out have gotten bigger over time?? I can seriously milk myself now and it just didn't work before. My nipples are bigger and longer too. So I might not bother with the pump at all this time. I hate washing dishes and it was a lot of washing up every time I used the pump.

I think we did get some bottles of the same brand to make sure they fit well. We got glass bottles. But like I said, we never used them really

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search