Finding a new doctor stinks!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2013, 09:50 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really liked the office of midwives I was going to in Pittsburgh, but here in Indiana PA (much smaller area) there are only male doctors from what I can tell. I've only ever had a female gyne and I'm really uncomfortable having a male doctor and having a man deliver this baby. I'm hoping with a little more research I can find a female doctor, or at least another office of midwives, but right now it's not looking so good.

March 20th, 2013, 09:55 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I would give a male a try. I know a lot of moms who prefer them. I will see what I can find.

March 20th, 2013, 09:58 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a male OB/gyn with DD and he was amazing. Much more sympathetic than the female drs. I wish I could have him again he was so amazing and i have been trying to find someone who works for me. The first OB i had wanted me to get on my seizure meds that are known to cause birth defects and stillbirth...uhm F no! The midwife I tried turned out to be a flake who has had numerous women have to go in for emergency c sections cuz of complications. So I am currently trying a new OB who i havent met yet. Last appt she was delivering a baby so i wont meet her til April 1st. As Ultrasounds arent done in office here. Which i have to have another since lil man is a stubborn stinker!

March 20th, 2013, 10:00 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I'm not sure how this will come up
https://www.google.com/search?q=indi...&client=safari

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...rp.rWjDGgLMbeg

March 20th, 2013, 10:01 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
I would give a male a try. I know a lot of moms who prefer them. I will see what I can find.
Exactly. This. I prefer males cuz females are usually kinda like oh this aint so bad or this doesnt hurt etc. Males are typically more empathetic cuz they dont know what its like and usually are more gentle

March 20th, 2013, 10:24 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I have to say, I LOVED my male doctor, and was so sad when he stopped the OB part of his practice. He delivered both of my boys and was wonderful. I do have a female doctor this time around, and have no problems with her at all, but I would go back to my old doc in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity. I definitely wouldn't rule out a doctor just for being male ... but you have to do what is comfortable for you.
March 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I hope you are able to find someone you're comfortable with!! I have to say that I also prefer a female, and a midwife more specifically. But I was pleasantly surprised with 2 of the male OBs that work in the same office as my midwives. I have seen them both a few times and they were great.
March 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I went to a group before and had many drs and my fav was actually the old guy who should have retired 10 years ago but still does it bc the love for babies. He didn't deliver me a female did and it was ok. Now I have a male dr again different office and I love it! This time just 1 main doctor and a high risk who is also male. There a few females he works with and I will meet them here in a few weeks but man my dr is always very catering to me

March 20th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Aw, switching doctors this late in pregnancy must be rough I ditto giving the male docs a chance though. They can be extra careful and sensitive because they are afraid of complaints. In some states there has to be a female nurse or health assistant of some kind present whenever they examine you, too, not sure if PA is one of them. I had a great male OB with DD and then we moved away, now I have a great female OB. It is more about the individual than the gender for me, I find I can tell a lot just from how attentive they are in conversation and whether they have the "I don't have time for this" attitude or not. Good luck finding a care provider you like and trust!!!

March 20th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Kinda funny. They keep giving me the female docs in the practice and I am FIGHTING to get the male doc. Not due to his gender. The females are just younger and in my own opinion are not as well trained. The male doc I have is truly the top. He is completely on top of all the new research. I feel comfortable with him. I have had a perfect pg to date. However a problem cannot alway be predicted in every case. From what I have felt the female docs in the practice are more wait and leave it to nature. I feel if there is a problem this male doc knows exactly what to do on autopilot. I know a lot of people feel comfortable with the same gender. For me, I just want the person (male, female, pink, purple) who is going to recognize any problem and then react with the optimal care.

March 20th, 2013, 06:15 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope you find a doctor that you are comfortable with, male or female, because that is what is most important!

My OB is male, it took some getting used to last pregnancy but he was fantastic and I wanted him again with this pregnancy. I wouldn't want anyone else as my OB

March 21st, 2013, 08:10 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. I guess that I just need to suck it up and not worry about a guy other than my SO seeing my junk. Somehow I doubt I'm really going to care who sees my hoo-ha when I'm pushing this kid out, and I know they've seen a hundred different hoo-ha's and mine isn't going to be memorable. Lol. Plus, I guess until this baby is making her way into the world, he's not really going to have to look at it anyway. It's all by feel. I have experienced some female doctors that I wish were a little more gentle, so maybe a male doctor wouldn't be so bad. Just have to wait til my medical comes through. I'm anxious to go back to the doctor since I've missed my 28 week appt.

March 21st, 2013, 08:30 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I hiope you find one soon! I know I felt the same way about male OB's....until I had a a bunch of female one that I really disliked. I haven't had a male OB yet that i've disliked.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search