Teachers I need help

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2013, 09:56 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I feel like I am getting no where wih David in his reading. I just need suggestions, book suggestions, I am willing to take all the help I can get.

March 21st, 2013, 10:24 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im not a teacher but Id suggest some easier books that may be something hes into. And read to him every night...you could read to all of them or just him. But 15 minutes every night is said to really spark a child love of reading. DD likes the Splat the Cat books. Marley books(Charles Grodin). Dr Suess as basic as they are Ive found all kids love the rhymeiness of them. The Stinkyface books are good as well(David would prolly like these as they are about a boy his age)
One thing I do with DD when i am reading with her sometimes is to point out each word as I am reading it aloud and occasionally I will point to a word...spell it out...and say it out loud...example...that sign says Stop. S.T.O.P that spells Stop. And I didnt think it was really working but shes 2 and 5 months and she can point out at least half of the alphabet and sometimes will pointto something and spell it out...which to me says Im doing something right lol. Good luck hun!! He will get it!

March 22nd, 2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks we have read nightly to him since he was very young and he still hates it. He is now calling himself too stupid to read. So I need to get his confidence up.

March 22nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Veteran
lurking from May

My ds 2 has reading problems. He is in the 3rd grade and reads on a 2nd grade level. There is a reading program called readingeggs.com and he really enjoys it. They offer a free trial without needing to use a credit card.
March 22nd, 2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks I will check that out

March 22nd, 2013, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There's another website, Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics that the kids down here use in school. It's got several different reading levels, and it talks to the kid, and does a little celebration when the kid gets things right. They use it a lot in Kindergarten down here. You might want to give that a try. Because it gets him reading, without realizing he's reading. There's a book series that the kids LOVE to read down here, and I can't remember it off the top of my head, when I think of it, I'll come back and post it, but it makes the kids excited to read, mostly because it has a rhythm, and it has YouTube videos for it, so that may help too.

It's Pete the Cat!! The First Graders I sub for all the time LOVE Pete the Cat. Maybe try and find him at the library, or you can find him on You Tube.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
March 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
Veteran
Lurking again

I agree Starfall is a good program
March 22nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Regular
I remember you talking about David having a hard time with reading, but I can't remember what grade you said he was in. I am a third grade teacher and I have found phonics to work very well with kids who are struggling. Really work on sounding out words rather than just memorizing whole words.

I hate to hear that he thinks he is too stupid to read I would suggest reading books that are below his level every once in a while and doing some kind of comprehension activity to go with it. That way he can see that he is able to read and he can even remember what he reads. It will boost his confidence level.

I have a website for you that you can try if you would like. It is A to Z readers. It has books at all different levels that you can print out and each book comes with different worksheets and activities to go with it. I will private message you with my username and password so you can try it out. I would have my student read the same book two or three times and do a different activity with it each time.
I have also found it helpful to print out a few different books at the level that I want the student to read and then let them pick which book they would like to read. It helps to give them ownership of their reading and make it more of their choice to read.

I hope this helps. If I can think of any other tips an tricks I will let you know.
March 22nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Regular
I remember you talking about David having a hard time with reading, but I can't remember what grade you said he was in. I am a third grade teacher and I have found phonics to work very well with kids who are struggling. Really work on sounding out words rather than just memorizing whole words.

I hate to hear that he thinks he is too stupid to read I would suggest reading books that are below his level every once in a while and doing some kind of comprehension activity to go with it. That way he can see that he is able to read and he can even remember what he reads. It will boost his confidence level.

I have a website for you that you can try if you would like. It is A to Z readers. It has books at all different levels that you can print out and each book comes with different worksheets and activities to go with it. I will private message you with my username and password so you can try it out. I would have my student read the same book two or three times and do a different activity with it each time.
I have also found it helpful to print out a few different books at the level that I want the student to read and then let them pick which book they would like to read. It helps to give them ownership of their reading and make it more of their choice to read.

I hope this helps. If I can think of any other tips an tricks I will let you know.
March 22nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I 2nd the readinga-z program. I love it and my students love the printable books. They have worksheets to go with them and I do use them some but my kids are SPED and most of the time the worksheets are too easy for them because their reading level is so low but they still love the books.

Biscuit my first books are good for re-readings. Focus on breaking down and chunking parts of words. Sometimes kids get so caught up in the individual sounds that they stress over that. It is still important they learn them and know them but I know from a SPED perspective that it can be a source of stress for my students and they do better learning to chunk. A came that my kinder and 1st graders love is See Spot Spell. It's a great blending game and it has different levels to it. Starting at 3 letter words and moves up to 5 letter words.
March 22nd, 2013, 09:45 PM
^^ this is what his teacher said, that he stresses himself out over sounding out every word. And he is very type A with everything, so when he doesn't get something he gets very frustrated then gives up. We signed up for the trial for reading eggs and he loves it. And it's actually quite good. He is big on learning games so this will help break up just reading.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search