Do babies really need names??? (warning longish rant)

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By lalap
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By crawmommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2013, 02:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! That is how I feel right now!!
So last night I brought up names again bc we do not have girls names we agree on and newsflash these babies could come at any time and we are not even close and I do NOT want to be arguing when I am trying to labor about **** names or even worse once they are born! Dh is stuck on Natalie which is not a bad name better than summer that I said absolutely no but all the girls I have known named Natalie are big 'ol B's!! I asked him to think of other names bc seriously he has come with 2, Natalie and Summer and nope..nada he will not even give it a thought to think of something else when I ask he says Natalie that's it. He cannot even pry open his dang brain to utter not even 1 other name but I have come up with I bet close to 20 names and he shoots them down without a thought! Julia Claudia Juliet Olivia Charlotte Sophia Penelope Scarlett Lucy Hannah Layla Amelia Sophie Violet I know there is more and no no no!!! Ugh! So last night while looking I was looking I saw the name Claire...I thought CLAIRE, I like it! I asked him and he said it wasn't as bad as the rest but he liked Natalie. Right now I wish that name never existed!!! So then I tell him it is pretty crappy that he will not even be open to other names he picked the boy names and I really liked them so we are set there but he is a spoiled brat and always thinks he is gonna get his way. So then he blows it out of proportion and says well fine I can just pick the name he doesn't want to have anything to do with it blah blah blah and when the kid grows up he will tell them that he didn't pick I did and that's why they hate their name. I was like really how old are you?? He totally did not get the point. I WANT A NAME WE BOTH LOVE!!!! Not just him not just me...us! So I had to squash the convo bc he was getting all stupid. But seriously do babies really need names?? I mean we can just call them A and B and be done with it. I never thought it would be this hard.

Sooo that it is thanks for listening I just had to get it off my chest. Wish me luck with this battle or just pray we have 2 boys!!

March 23rd, 2013, 02:37 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh hun yikes!!! Well I agree both his picks for girls names are awful. If he picked both boys names then why dont you just pick two girls names that you like...i personally also liked Olivia and Charlotte(they would go great together) And Claire is beautiful also. He needs to understand you need to love the names also. Its not all about him. But the way i feel about names is...yes its great to have the dad be on board with the name and have a mutual love for the names...However....your the one going thru pregnancy and delivery so in the end YOU should get the final say so on names. Your their Momma afterall. And tell your DH to stop being so childish! Or i will come kick him in the butt for you!
crawmommy and Mia88 like this.

March 23rd, 2013, 02:44 PM
lalap's Avatar Super Teacher
Take him up on his offer to just let you pick the girl names. He'll forget all about it within weeks of birth. Men..
Mia88 likes this.
March 23rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think there are so many beautiful names on the list you have. Could you get him to agree to make Natalie a middle name and go with a first name you like? I'm sorry he's being such a butt. I agree that if you just pick girls names, he will forget about it after he holds them. Good luck with it! I hope you get it figured out soon!

March 23rd, 2013, 03:34 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I could have written this myself. We had a list of 5-6 names that we both liked and I really thought we were making progress...until he decided he liked the name Katie. Katie is a fine name except I have a stepsister named Caitlin who goes by Caity. I brought that up and he freaked out. He said I was being unreasonable and that he "liked" all these other names that I liked to make me happy so why wouldn't I just consider this one. Then because I nixed Katie, he nixed pretty much everything else we had been considering. Just like a freaking child. Men suck!!! I'm so glad this is the last baby we ever have to name together...this is the 3rd go round and every single time it is an ugly battle.

March 23rd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran
I love Claire! That was the name we were going to use had we been having a girl. When DH and I sat down to discuss names we each made a list. Two hours later I had 13 boy names and 19 girl names... DH had 1 boy and 1 girl lol. Luckily my DH is laid back and while I didn't get my number 1 pick for this little boy, I got my close 2nd and we are both satisfied. My husband was the opposite though, it was frustrating as heck to get any opinions out of him on names. He would just shrug, he was the same with our first son so needless to say our sons wouldn't have names if it was all up to DH. It will work out and I agree, he will forget about it once they are born.

March 23rd, 2013, 04:00 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalap View Post
Take him up on his offer to just let you pick the girl names. He'll forget all about it within weeks of birth. Men..
I am stubborn and vindictive, so I would probably do the same! If it makes you feel better, we decided on Henry with a coin toss. DH wasn't willing to budge on Gabriel and I wasn't willing to budge on Henry. So a coin toss made it official.
March 23rd, 2013, 04:34 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow, I am so sorry he is acting that way! He should know that both people have to compromise!! It sounds like he is just digging in his heels so he can get his way! I have an easier dh, I feel like I could pretty much talk him into any name.

March 23rd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
I think there are so many beautiful names on the list you have. Could you get him to agree to make Natalie a middle name and go with a first name you like? I'm sorry he's being such a butt. I agree that if you just pick girls names, he will forget about it after he holds them. Good luck with it! I hope you get it figured out soon!
GL!
March 23rd, 2013, 05:22 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
And if all else fails and he wont budge....you can break into hysterical preggo woman tears...thats how I got my first name pick and DH didnt even fight or argue. He was like whats wrong? And I kept sobbing about how I only liked three boy names and they were names he had previously said he wasnt crazy about. He asked which three and I told him and he then picked my fave. Hahaha I am soooo not above using tears to get my way...specially when im preg and hormonal
crawmommy likes this.

March 23rd, 2013, 07:54 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
And if all else fails and he wont budge....you can break into hysterical preggo woman tears...thats how I got my first name pick and DH didnt even fight or argue. He was like whats wrong? And I kept sobbing about how I only liked three boy names and they were names he had previously said he wasnt crazy about. He asked which three and I told him and he then picked my fave. Hahaha I am soooo not above using tears to get my way...specially when im preg and hormonal
I'm about to this point. I may have to start crying to get my husband to decide on a name or to agree to a name that I like. We have NOTHING for this poor baby boy. He keeps suggesting names that I end up liking and then be changes his mind. I may just have to start crying, because that would totally work with my husband. Haha.

Sorry that you are having such a hard time with girl names! I agree, if he won't help you and have a serious discussion about it and he picked the boys names, I would just pick the girl names!
March 23rd, 2013, 09:29 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
It was so hard to come up with a boy name this time. Kyle was stuck on Cornelius. I hated it so so much! Hugs ladies I hope you all come up with the names that are perfect for your babies.

March 24th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I'm so sorry hon. Men can be so pig headed. I got lucky that we had a boy name we both liked and the girl name he wanted I didn't really like but I got lucky when I came up with Chloe which he liked too. I hope he comes around for you. I like the idea of using Natalie for a middle name too.

March 24th, 2013, 05:54 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does he realize there could be 2 girls? Would they both be Natalie? I think you picked the girl names since he picked the boy names. And if you need girl names, whip them out at the hospital after the birth. He will be so in love at that points he will go with it

I love a lot of the names on your list.
March 24th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love the names on your list. Claire was our girl name if we had boy/girl. I found naming twins to be SO hard. We wanted something that went together but not matchy matchy. So before we knew what they were we were trying to agree on two boys, two girls and the a boy/girl name set. All we had chosen was Claire and Corbin if it was boy/girl. My DH wasn't set on any names he just didn't like anything I suggested. Seriouly I think out of a list of 25 boy names I liked he liked2 which was Nolan and Corbin.

I hope you guys can come up with something soon. I know how you feel about them being here any day. I feel like we have so much left to do and more than 50% of twins are born right around 35/36 weeks. I feel like it needs to all be done by 32/33 weeks just in case.
March 24th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh. I totally understand. Once again we have a name picked out for a boy but still bicker about a girl. I finally put my foot down and said I didn't want any more serious discussions about girl names until I have the baby. Obviously a little girl is someone we need to look at in order to get the right name for. Both my son's name and this one's name (if he/she is, in fact, a he) have nicknames that we both really like so that made it super easy. Names for girls are a lot more tough, I think.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
Gosh I love your thinking! I have thought about using these tactics and may have to go to extreme measures!
MamaSkunk likes this.

March 24th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies for listening to me rant I feel better! Yea I just need to sit down with him when he is not pms' ing and try to have a grown up convo with him and if that doesn't work I will just have to pull the big ol Bness out bc I'm just not sure if tears will work in him since his mom has been a cry baby his whole life so he is immune lol! I will keep you ladies posted!

March 24th, 2013, 12:08 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oi Vey!! So frustrating!! I'm in the same boat and about to just tell DH "forget it, I WILL NAME HER!!" I'd love for us both to agree, but I can not have a serious conversation with him, he just suggests the most stupidest names! The one name we agree on I love, but I love a 2nd name now and he won't even entertain it. He's one of those "ok decided, move on" type of guys. If that were the case with DS his name would be Ean (Ian) instead of Vaughn, but I kept looking and he LOVED Vaughn and started calling him by that name by the time I was 6 mos pg - never did that with any of the other names. ARGH! So yea, I feel your pain.

GL!! And FWIW, I totally feel the same way about that name...I may be biased by DH's ex-fiance, but she lived up to the adjective in EVERY way!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search