Baptism/dedication

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 11:00 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are a very traditional Catholic family and baptize immediatly. Ds was baptized a week after birth and we will try to do this baby as soon as possible. The Catholic Church teaches that you cannot get into heaven without baptism so Catholics are encouraged to baptize as soon as possible in case the baby dies unexpectedly. I love it! So beautiful! Its important to us to raise our children as the Church teaches, in the faith. We have to be the example and instill a love of God and the faith in them so they are prepared for that time when they are responsible for themselves.
March 27th, 2013, 11:10 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I am sure at some point this will come up, and I'm not sure how we will handle it. DH and I were both raised Christian, and DH still attends a christian church, but i have stopped going and sort of gone my own way and adopted a much broader concept of religion. It is quite a sensitive subject! My older 2 kids go with DH to church when they feel like it. I am sure it will be a long, long time before our new baby goes to his church.
DS: '98, DD: '00, DD: '13, & TTC #4

March 27th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
We will be baptizing by the time baby is 3 months old. Not even necessarily because either of us is particularly religious, but to go to school at DDs school he has to be baptized in the ukrainian orthodox church

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
March 27th, 2013, 03:36 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We're LDS so we wait until she's old enough to know what it's all about. We will be having a baby blessing though. It's mainly just to bless her with health and let everyone know what name we've chosen. Family usually come but we may do it while she's in the hospital.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
March 27th, 2013, 09:21 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH and I are both atheists so we won't be doing either. In fact, he's adamant that our children NOT go to church, even with friends when they're older. I think that's silly; it's their right to choose for themselves and they should be free to explore and make their own decisions.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

March 28th, 2013, 12:01 AM
PurpleStar's Avatar March 2015 DDC Co-Host
DH & I are not religious, however I was raised Catholic. Although as an adult I have walked away from Catholicism and organized religion as a whole, I am spiritual in my own way without believing in one great deity/dogma/doctrine. Having said this, though, I am thankful for my religious upbringing and do not resent my family having me do my sacraments or putting me in private school. It didn't take anything away from me, I don't feel robbed of a decision and am actually grateful for it for various reasons.

Having said this, my son was baptized when he turned one and my LO will be too.

March 28th, 2013, 06:27 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
we will hopefully be doing a dedication. we are both baptist and have been going to this church now for a couple of years but have not officially joined. i think that is something we should do here soon! we do not believe in baptizing infants.

March 28th, 2013, 07:45 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
Atheist family here as well... so no.
We're firmly against indoctrination. When our kids get old enough to consciously make a decision about whether they'd like to follow a religion, that's all them.
I used to be super religious (pentecostal holiness), and when finding my way to reason I threw myself into the bible and spent nearly four years studying and dissecting the bible and figuring out where I stood. After that I explored and studied many many other world religions, took classes, and attended meetings at the places of worship themselves and I have a pretty firm understanding of most of them and I plan on teaching both of my children about the basics of all religions through out their childhoods (dd is already experiencing this). One day a week I choose a 4 year old friendly topic from one of the many religions of the world and we do an activity or a worksheet I made or found
(there are so many things like this you can find through any number of humanist groups). And we also do Science Sundays, which are her favorite.

I totally just kept on typing on and on and on, but I get really excited about Science Sunday!
Joanne Nicole likes this.
March 28th, 2013, 07:45 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Nope, my oldest was the only one baptized in the church. We are agnostic..

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

March 28th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope, we will raise him to know the Lord and pray that he makes that choice when he's old enough to understand.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search