Baptism/dedication

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2013, 08:54 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Will your baby be babtized or have a dedication ceremony?

Last edited by navywifey2003; March 25th, 2013 at 06:53 AM.
March 24th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope, since I'm Christian and DH is not, we're leaving religion as something that the child will choose for himself when he gets older. We don't believe in indoctrinating children before they're old enough to think for themselves, so baptism will be something he can choose to do on his own when he's older, if he chooses that route. Of course, I'm making DH tell his super Catholic parents all of this if the subject is ever brought up....
zombiemommy likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
March 24th, 2013, 09:58 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep our lil man will definately be baptised in the Catholic Church. We dont go to church hardly ever tho but DH and I both feel baptising them doesnt hurt any. Little mans godparents will be my cousin and her DH.

March 25th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We baptize early - hopefully within the first 10 weeks.

March 25th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I go to a Methodist church and they give you the option of doing either. I personally don't think baptism is necessary for a baby since there were no infant baptisms in the Bible. So we did the baby dedication for my son and will do the same for this baby. Then they can be baptized when they decide for themselves when they're older.
MarylandMama likes this.

March 25th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Mrs_lynn.c's Avatar Expecting#5
We will not have this baby baptized. When he gets older he can decide if thats what he wants to do.
zombiemommy likes this.
March 25th, 2013, 08:14 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We also do dedication. I want my children to be baptized when they are old enough to know what it really means and are making the conscious choice to dedicate their lives to following Christ. With DD, this made some waves w/ DH's family, who were pretty angry. They wanted her to be baptized (the Methodist church where they go ONLY does infant baptism and won't do a dedication, the Methodist church where I grew up was happy to do it). They finally accepted it and the dedication was lovely. We are going to a non-denominational church now, so there may be more issues about the loud worship music, but oh well. We did just start going there, so we will have a few months to make sure that's exactly what we want to do.
Karen78 and overlinmommy17 like this.

March 25th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have no plans to do a baptism or dedication. We are not a religious family and will be leaving the decision up to our children when they are old enough to choose. They will, however, likely go to the (elementary) school that SO went to, which is a catholic school, because the public schools here are pretty awful and all the private school are religion-based.

#1, 4, 5, 7
March 25th, 2013, 09:49 AM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
Gracelyn will be dedicated. There won't really be a ceremony because we've always done it during regular church so everyone's already there and family is welcome but it's not a huge party or anything.

March 25th, 2013, 11:17 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We'll be doing a baptism in the Catholic Church. DH is Catholic (I grew up Baptist) and feels strongly about our children being Catholic, which is funny because he never goes to church. DH's sister will probably be godmother, but we don't know about the godfather yet. We don't know many Catholic people around here, and my SIL attends a Methodist church anyway, but technically still Catholic?
March 25th, 2013, 11:49 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think we'll be doing a baptism, but no dedication. Neither one of us want to have godparents simply due to the competition that it would involve on both sides of our families. I personally would wait til the child is old enough to choose, but SO is pretty religious and I was raised in church, too, so I see no harm in doing it. Especially if it keeps things calm and happy around the house!

March 25th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
We talked about dedication but no baptism. We feel that will be the child's decision when he gets old enough to actually understand what baptism is all about.
March 25th, 2013, 12:27 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope. We are a mixed religion family, so we will leave that decision up to each child to make for themselves when they are older.

March 25th, 2013, 04:39 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are a catholic family and will be baptizing our child within the first three months. Our church only does a baptism weekend once a month so it depends on which one falls best within the schedule.

As for letting them choose their religion etc as they grow older - I believe it is important to lay the foundation for them and to allow them to explore. My father was presbyterian and I spent one week at bible camp each year and did my catholic ccd classes on sunday throughout the year. I was exposed to both and choose myself the catholic religion when I was in 7th grade and completed my confirmation. Catholics do not fully choose the church until 6th/7th grade so I have no problem letting my kids see all the aspects of it growing up rather than making it a big task later on in life. It is a rather daunting task for an adult to undergo all the sacraments. My cousin has been trying for a little over a year.
MamaSkunk likes this.

March 25th, 2013, 04:53 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We are Catholic and will be taking baby to be baptised as his/her first outing, sometime within the first two weeks after birth. Choosing godparents will be a trick, though! Our oldest two children are Lucy's Godparents; they might stand for this baby as well.
MamaSkunk likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 25th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Rochelle
No, neither. Not our thing.
March 25th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Super Mommy
absolutely our faith is very important to us. baby girl will be baptized probably around 4-6 months. it is a very special day for us and we will do a lunch afterwards.
March 26th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both DH and I are atheist, so we won't be doing any kind of baptism or confirmation.

DH was raised very strictly Catholic, and I was raised even more strictly LDS (Mormon). So we've got pretty different views on baptism. Mormons don't get baptized until they are 8 years old - old enough to know the difference between right and wrong and to understand the concept of repentance and forgiveness. I don't really understand the point of baptizing an infant who has never sinned and has no concept of sin. I thought baptism was about accepting Christ and washing away your sins and starting life anew.

Either way, it doesn't really matter for us, since we won't be doing it.
zombiemommy likes this.

March 26th, 2013, 08:33 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We won't do either. But we do plan on laying the foundation and hope that our child will choose to be baptized when they are old enough to decide that's what they want. I also made the decision myself.
Hopeful2BMommy likes this.

March 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Veteran
We will baptize this child. Out other three all were too. My husband was raised catholic. I was raised without any religion. No church no influence nothing. I personally believe the baptism doesn't really matter but like many have said the foundation and values are laid. We do go to church with semi regularity. Even to give kids a sense of commitment is a great value.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search