If you're feeling like you won't be a good parent, just remember:

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can always do better than this:

Baby left with note in car as mom shops - UPI.com

Quote:
A cell phone photo of an infant left in a car while kits mom was shopping has sparked outrage in New Zealand over the weekend.

A note -- "My mum's in doing the shopping, call her if I need anything" with a cell phone number -- was left resting on top of the baby's blanket as the child snoozed in the car.

A passerby spotted the child Saturday in a parking lot of a Pak'n'Save market in Porirua, north of Wellington, and snapped a photo, which quickly garnered outrage when posted on Facebook.

Police told the New Zealand Herald that no investigation is likely, since no one has lodged a complaint or come forward with information.

"We don't know who the people are, we don't know the phone number, we don't know where to start," said national police spokeswoman Anne Coughlan. "We would launch an investigation if we could but at this stage no one's come forward."

The man who took the photo said he waited with the child while others called the mother.

"We waited there for a little bit, wondering if the mum was just going to be two seconds and come back. And my wife said, 'I'm not going in without someone being here with the baby'."

Porirua police sergeant Justin Rakena said even if someone came forward, prosecution wouldn't be likely.

In most cases, he said, the best solution would be support for the parents from Child, Youth and Family Services.

Read more: Baby left with note in car as mom shops - UPI.com
I did a little quick search on wunderground.com and the temperature that day in Wellington, New Zealand was 68 degrees. At that temperature it would only have taken a few minutes for the car to be in excess of 105 degrees (the temperature that can prove fatal for small children and pets). At 70 degrees the car will heat up to 120 degrees within 30 minutes. Even with windows cracked or partially rolled down. And this baby was well bundled.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 25th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow.
March 25th, 2013, 08:52 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
W.T.F??!?!
How ****** stupid do ya gotta be really?! Doesnt matter if its hot or cold. You absolutely shouldnt ever leave any child alone in a car...not even if your just running in to a gas station. My DD gets taken out and comes in with me even if its just for a quick stop. Even what you think may be a quick trip into pay a cashier for gas....your car could be stolen with your child or any other scenarios. Ugh. Some people!
Mrs_lynn.c likes this.

March 26th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was shocked to see this from my own mother:

Quote:
Actually, I think the "bystanders" made the right decision here, primarily because they allowed common sense to make the choice. Clearly the mother was not deliberately neglectful, just irresponsible and inexperienced. Firm guidance and gentle disapproval by those involved were surely more effective, in this case, than a horrible scene involving the police, news programs, and the baby being placed in temporary foster care. In days gone by, "the village" taught these lessons to younger members through loving mercy and, again, common sense, NOT by involving the authorities to mete out "justice". We all make mistakes. Should EVERY error in our learning curve be met with possible jail time? No. Once again, the idea of letting "the state" take over our communal obligations to one another, diminishes us greatly as a society and as caring human beings.
My response:
Quote:
She left her baby unattended and her letter clearly announced her intention to let others keep an eye on her baby for her. Strangers. Who weren't even aware of the obligation except by happenstance. No, she was willfully neglectful and as an adult human being there is no excuse. This is no different than letting your kid play in traffic and assuming that other drivers will be responsible for you and swerve out of the way. And as I said, that baby would have been dead within a half an hour if somebody hadn't of HAPPENED to see it. Dead. Boiled alive. "Gentle chastisements" are for parents who let their kids play in the snow wearing t-shirts and shorts. The police need to be involved because the home environment needs to be examined. If the mother is woefully ignorant of how to adequately care for a baby then she would be assigned a social worker (in the USA) and provided with training and literature. Otherwise it can only be assumed that later that night mom put her baby in the tub with running water and then went to answer the phone.
This is also coming from the same person who regularly left her cat in her car when driving to and from the vet's office (the office is an hour away from her home) in order to eat or shop. I "gently chastised" her several times and once when I was with her I refused to get out of the car. It was frikkin middle of SUMMER! I printed off information about it for her and everything. Well, lesson learned. Next time she does it I'll just call the cops on her and remind her that I did show her mercy before and obviously the "village" wasn't making it clear enough for her.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 26th, 2013, 08:13 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Wow that is just, yikes!

March 26th, 2013, 08:25 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow.

March 26th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Super Mommy
Ugh, just horrible. I could never do that. I won't even leave my boys in the car if I have to run in to go pee at a gas station. You just never know what might happen.
March 26th, 2013, 02:31 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm almost as shocked by the lack of an investigation into the incident. Get with the program, New Zealand!

March 26th, 2013, 05:12 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We had a local incident years ago where a parent forgot their child strapped in the carseat in the middle of the summer. Awful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search