Nursing bras

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 08:49 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Have you purchased any nursing bras? What kind? What types do you recommend?

March 26th, 2013, 09:04 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like the Jillian O'Malley from Target if I can find the right size.

Last time I spent big, big bucks on a nursing bra (Because that is what all the "experts" said I needed) just before I delivered and that was a huge mistake. My size changed multiple times in the 12 weeks postpartum and I had this $50 nursing bra that was a 40F and I finally settled in at 36D. It had no support and looked horrid under my clothes, especially t-shirts. I hated that thing. So moral of the story - find one or two that fit you well and be prepared to keep buying more until your size settles in, usually around 12-16 weeks PP. The $18 bras at target fit me so much better than the $50 bras from Motherhood maternity.
March 26th, 2013, 09:11 AM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first 2 I purchased several nursing bras and never really liked any of them, with dd I just bought a bunch of sports bras they were easy to just whip a boob out of and didn't cost as much as nursing bras either!!! so I'm going to get me a few more sports bras to go with the others I have..I have small boobs neways...

March 26th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
I like the Jillian O'Malley from Target if I can find the right size.

Last time I spent big, big bucks on a nursing bra (Because that is what all the "experts" said I needed) just before I delivered and that was a huge mistake. My size changed multiple times in the 12 weeks postpartum and I had this $50 nursing bra that was a 40F and I finally settled in at 36D. It had no support and looked horrid under my clothes, especially t-shirts. I hated that thing. So moral of the story - find one or two that fit you well and be prepared to keep buying more until your size settles in, usually around 12-16 weeks PP. The $18 bras at target fit me so much better than the $50 bras from Motherhood maternity.
Agreed. I got a variety of sizes of cheap ones from Walmart and my size shifted a ton. It took like 4-5 months to completely settle down so I used all those sizes. The 2 nice ones from Motherhood are way too small, I got hardly any use from them.

I did get 2 LLL super stretchy ones this time, from Moms Milk Boutique online. They are super adjustable. I can wear them now on the smaller band setting. The cups are not very supportive but just hold a nursing pad in place, which I like, I am small breasted and leaky

Honestly though I usually just wore a stretchy cami... I don't need much support and bras in general are not comfy for me. I have mostly pretty loose fitting nursing tops and didn't worry much about show-through or shaping or whatever. I just needed something occasionally to hold a breast pad in place to prevent leaks if going out for a long period of time, or if I wore a more fitting shirt for some reason. As a SAHM I am usually dressed very casually anyway

March 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do you know what size to buy???
March 26th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Rochelle
I've got one that's pretty worn and I think was a hand-me-down and I plan to get another but not until a few weeks PP. Like Zkat said, I want to wait to see what my boob size levels off at. Around the house, I don't wear a bra anyways and that's where I am 93% of the time. They do come in handy for NIP though.

Features I like: wide shoulder straps and the snap-closure. I don't care for the kind where you pull the boob out and the rest is squeezing at the underarm area. The pressure makes it hard for my milk to come down.

This is very similar to mine except not so sports-bra like. But the straps and the snap-closures are the same. In fact, I may get this one, looks comfy.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bestform-M...-Pack/13055806
March 26th, 2013, 11:18 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2BMommy View Post
How do you know what size to buy???
I'd get fitted. I was measured and found decent nursing bras at JC Penney last time. I can't have underwire in my nursing bras or else I end up with clogged ducts/mastitis. Once I knew my size, I picked up a few more Target nursing bras. I love the Target nursing tanks. They were comfy and actually looked like a real shirt instead of being too thin like some of my other nursing tanks.
March 26th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
I'd get fitted. I was measured and found decent nursing bras at JC Penney last time. I can't have underwire in my nursing bras or else I end up with clogged ducts/mastitis. Once I knew my size, I picked up a few more Target nursing bras. I love the Target nursing tanks. They were comfy and actually looked like a real shirt instead of being too thin like some of my other nursing tanks.
They'll get bigger after the baby comes though, right? So do you wait until then?

Last edited by Hopeful2BMommy; March 26th, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
March 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2BMommy View Post

They'll get blogger after the baby comes though, right? So do you wait until then?
I would wait. With my first, I was told by a few people (including nurses at the hospital BFing class) to go buy a couple good ones halfway into my 3rd tri because that would be my eventual size. Well I was a 34A still then (my boobs barely grew at all my whole pregnancy) and I ended up at 36C for over a year while BFing my daughter, soooooo yeah.

March 26th, 2013, 12:38 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second the Target nursing bras. They are soooo much better than the high dollar ones, plus you end up leaking a lot the first few weeks and I just hate to ruin expensive bras.

I usually wait until after baby is born to go buy any. I have a few different sizes left over from last time that I will be taking with me to the hospital for once my milk comes in (my milk usually comes in veeeeerrrry quickly). Those can at least get me by until I can get to Target to get some more.

Last edited by ashleykathleen; March 26th, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
March 26th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Yep. Target bras are great! And I was very surprised at how much bigger my ribcage got during and after pregnancy. Normally, I just need a 34, but I had to get a 38 size, and even then it was occasionally too tight. The Target ones are nice cuz the fabric is stretchy which accomodates the changing boob size. My tiny boobies didn't change at all last time until I started BF. When in doubt, go up at least 1 cup size though.

March 26th, 2013, 02:22 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My cup size hasn't changed at all, but I've had to up the band size twice. Baby is sitting high and my chest seems to get bigger over the course of the day. My bras fit fine in the morning, but they are squeezing the life out of me by the time I get home. I bought a couple of bras from MM, only because they were on sale. Now I need new ones again.

March 26th, 2013, 05:41 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I initially got HUGE, but once the initial engorgement phase passes, you will deflate a little. Also, the longer you nurse, the more adaptive your breast becomes so the full water ballon becomes a semi deflated regular balloon until you get engorged.
March 26th, 2013, 09:22 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a couple from target that were like sports bras with the snap-down cup. They were comfortable and worked well until my size settled down, but there was so much coverage that you could see the top under almost all of my shirts and I felt really frumpy. I got a few that were a little prettier (again, target) with underwire and somehow I wore them forever, although now when I try them on the underwire drives me insane. My favorites ended up being regular, wireless, soft up bralette styles. I have a great one from anthropologie that got really stretched out; I'm so bummed because they never keep the same styles. Right now I am obsessed with the Gap's modal wireless bralette. It's the most comfortable thing I've ever worn and I'm sure it'll work great for nursing once I'm past the leaky stage. I kept those first ugly nursing bras from last time just to see me through.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

March 26th, 2013, 10:54 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I've had horrid luck with them. I have large boobs that look like saggy water balloons all the time and they don't get perky or do anything with breast feeding. I don't care for target bras but I did find some large nursing sport bras that actually lift my lame boobs up and give support with a crisscross back. I wish I could wear pretty bras.

March 27th, 2013, 08:18 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I've been wearing nursing bras for so much of the last 13 years, when Lucy was a year old I got rid of them and vowed I would NEVER wear another bra with any flap of any kind, LOL! I will just use either sport bras or soft-cup bras that can be moved out of the way as needed.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 27th, 2013, 11:13 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
I have been thinking a lot about this topic as well. My breasts are also pretty large while pregnant.... i have gone from a 34 barely B to a full 36C maybe closer to a 38 actually I usually end up being around a 38 DD when my milk comes in. I have never worn the Target brand bras so i may try them this time.!

March 27th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
With my youngest I just wore sports bra style ones I found at babies r us. I also have two nursing tank tops from target that I wear. I'll stick with these this time around too. I haven't found a pretty nursing bra that fits yet since I'm in a D now.

March 27th, 2013, 02:21 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I always found it easier to just pull my bra up rather than having to fiddle with clasps and openings. My boobs have changed so many times over the last few years, I've given up and just buy sports bras without any underwire. I saw the bras from tv that claim they fit any cup size and I'm thinking of trying them. That way, they'll still fit if I go from a DD to an A.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search