Clingy toddler?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Super Mommy
DD (3yr. old) has become so clingy, cuddly, and needy recently. She has always been very independent, so this is definitely different. I'm not sure if she truly understands that things are going to change soon or if this is just a typical stage. I love all of the hugs and cuddles, but I am a bit concerned about her world being turned upside down in about 9 weeks.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Do you have any tips or tricks to help DD with the transition? I plan to involve her as much as possible. I think she will be a big helper.
March 27th, 2013, 09:32 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is happening with my DD, too. Recently she's developed a terrible fear of bugs. Any and all bugs, not just larger ones. We have a ton of teeny tiny flies everywhere and suddenly they scare her so badly that she freezes and starts screaming bloody murder. I took her to the park today and she wouldn't do anything but bury her head in my belly and cry, "Mommy, I'm scared!" She's been just generally clingy with me lately, too. She's always been a mama's girl but it's really intensified in the past couple weeks. I don't have any pointers; I just try to give her as much love and attention as possible, talk about the baby a lot and how she'll be able to help when he's born (she seems really excited about that and I think she'll love him to death) and be patient with her new anxieties. I know it's normal for toddlers to develop sudden fears as they become more independent and aware of the world around them, so while I acknowledge her fears and reassure her, I don't dwell on it for fear of making it worse. I'm just trying to focus on the positive and I'm hoping she outgrows this as quickly as it's come on.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

March 27th, 2013, 10:48 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son is going through this too. I don't really have any advice on what to do about it, but just wanted to let you know that I am dealing with this too! He just gets sooooo upset over the silliest things and the only way he can cope is to sit in my lap and hug me. I have been a little worried about it, myself.

March 27th, 2013, 11:41 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar March 2015 DDC Co-Host
My son will be 3 in May and he only seems to get clingy when he realizes we are paying attention or doing stuff specifically for LO. For example, the other night I was going through the clothes my DH come home with from a surprise baby daddy shower he had when he visited back home a couple of weeks ago. Both DH and I were sorting clothes and such and Vaughn after some time just started getting in my face with HIS stuff and saying "look momma, Vaughn's *fill in teh blank*" And then she's said "oh cute, vaughn's ______"

With DS, he does really when you give him jobs to do and he feels included. So then I started telling him lil things while sorting making him feel apart of it and he got over the attention need. Plus, I want him to feel included, he's going to be a great big brother...he is actually pretty naturally nurturing already =)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search