Am I the only one...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2013, 10:35 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
who doesn't do regular kick counts??

At my appointment on Wednesday, my midwife was reminding that I'm at the point now where I should be checking kick counts twice a day: morning and evening. I honestly don't do it regularly unless I realize she has been a little quiet that day. At that point I will eat or drink something and count. But otherwise, I pretty much go off baby's overall activity. When I told my midwife that, she looked at me like I had told her I was doing drugs or something equally dangerous.

So am I the only one? Is this a BTDT mom thing or just my typical laid back personality at work?

March 29th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't. My doc has never mentioned it. I know he kicks a lot at diff times throughput the day, but I've never counted.
March 29th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2BMommy View Post
I don't. My doc has never mentioned it. I know he kicks a lot at diff times throughput the day, but I've never counted.

This. It would drive me bonkers and make me worry to kick-count so I just stay aware of movements in that particular day w/o actually counting.
March 29th, 2013, 11:16 AM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
Nope, not the only one. I pay attention to overall activity. If she's moving on a regular basis I don't count. I asked my OB about it and she agreed that a specific count is not needed unless I am concerned, and that paying attention to overall activity is just fine.

March 29th, 2013, 11:22 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's what I thought. See, the way my OB's office works is you see a team of 3 midwives up until about 30 weeks unless there are problems. Then you alternate between seeing the midwives and OB until 36 weeks, at which point you see the OB until delivery. I really like all the midwives and I LOVE my OB...this one midwife in particular just seems very "by the textbook" if that makes sense. She only has one child and a lot of times I feel like when I see her, I might as well tell her what to ask me because I know what I'm doing by #3.

March 29th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I remember doing them with dd but I don't now. These babies move so darn much! My new dr just asks if they move on a regular basis he has never mentioned kick counts.

March 29th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am anti-kick count unless/until needed!! Great way to stress myself out I think it is pretty easy to notice overall activity. My old OB with my first never even mentioned kick counts until I asked about her movement patterns changing/slowing down (in the late 3rd tri when she was running out of room!), and then it was basically as a tool for reassuring myself. My new OB has not mentioned it. But my Hypnobabies class discussed it last week and we were supposed to keep a chart this week but I asked if I could just not do it, because I know that sort of thing can just make me anxious. This baby does not have a regular sleep/wake cycle yet and it is sort of random when I feel him and when I don't, but I certainly get multiple active sessions a day so I am not worried.

March 29th, 2013, 04:18 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I don't do it either. I just pay attention to overall activity. Besides, I'm not sure i even remember the "correct" number of counts in a time period
March 29th, 2013, 04:36 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't count. I know when she's active and pay closer attention during those times to make sure she's moving around. My doc hasn't even mentioned kick counts.

March 29th, 2013, 06:16 PM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ive never done them with any of my kids! Dr always just wants to know if baby's moving a lot!

March 29th, 2013, 06:59 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I've never done kick counts, like others have said, I notice the constant movement throughout the day and if I feel like I haven't felt or noticed it for awhile then I'll be sure to concentrate on it. I'm not even sure how many kicks/movements are supposed to be counted!!

March 29th, 2013, 07:40 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto everyone. I don't count, doc has never mentioned it. Plus, I think it would make me worry. She has quiet days and super active days, but as long as I know I've felt her off and on during the day I don't worry.

March 29th, 2013, 08:09 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No one has mentioned it to me either. The nurse today asked me if I was feeling movement, but that's been it so far!
March 29th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Veteran
Ditto ditto ditto. Looks like you are actually in the majority lol

March 30th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep, you're definitely not alone there. They always just ask if the baby is active, and boy is he. He doesn't seem to have any kind of regular waking/sleeping pattern, it just seems like he's constantly moving throughout the day and night.

I wouldn't even know how to count kicks. Is it specifically counting the kicks only or do somersaults and wiggles and flip-flopping count?

March 30th, 2013, 06:45 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you feel 10 movements in an hour thats considered kick counts. With DD i did do kick counts because she would move and kick but there would be times id feel nothing.
Hell Ive felt more than ten movements from Tristan in the time i read this and everyones replies lol hes a very active baby.

March 30th, 2013, 07:42 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I don't do them. My midwives just ask about regular movement. It was the same at the naval hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search