Baby doll for boy toddler?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TeresaV

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I want to get a baby doll for Alex to help introduce him to the concept of taking care of a baby. I'd prefer the baby to be gender neutral (because we don't know what this one is yet) and I'd like it to come with some accessories like a stroller or a bottle or something (I'll be breastfeeding but Daddy will bottle feed sometimes, lol). The more functional accessories the better because my little guy likes to tinker, lol.

I'd also prefer the baby to have a snuggly body instead of a hard plastic one because I also plan on sewing a lil kid version of a sling ring or moby wrap. I want to provide him with lots of opportunities to imitate me.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 30th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD has one very similar to this. The head, legs and arms are semi-firm rubbery plastic, and the body is soft. It's bald, so if you take the pink clothes off it, it's gender neutral. It's quite realistic. You'll have a hard time finding a baby stroller or any other accessories that aren't pink though. They just don't market dolls to boys.

Amazon.com: Melissa & Doug Jenna - 12" Doll: Toys & Games

March 30th, 2013, 07:45 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
This was just talked about in Everett's PR. She posted 2 babies she got her son let me see if I can find them.

March 30th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Isn't it so sad that there just isn't much family stuff for little boys? My whole family is baffled about why I want to do this. I think it will be great to help prepare him (talking about it a lot and showing him stuff) and a wonderful distraction when I'm busy with his new sibling "Uh-oh! Your baby is crying! Go find him/her and feed them!" etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne Nicole View Post
DD has one very similar to this. The head, legs and arms are semi-firm rubbery plastic, and the body is soft. It's bald, so if you take the pink clothes off it, it's gender neutral. It's quite realistic. You'll have a hard time finding a baby stroller or any other accessories that aren't pink though. They just don't market dolls to boys.

Amazon.com: Melissa & Doug Jenna - 12" Doll: Toys & Games
This looks like a good option! I've been told to buy preemie baby clothing at the store to dress the doll in.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 30th, 2013, 11:58 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's a fantastic idea. Don't let anyone's narrow-minded perceptions of "social norms" dictate how you raise your child.
4hearts likes this.

March 30th, 2013, 02:06 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
What a fun idea! I'm totally okay with boys playing with dolls. Why not? I figure I have enough baby doll and dress up clothes around this house with the girls, that it will be no big deal for this little boy to play with that stuff too
March 30th, 2013, 02:22 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I played with G.I. Joes and I turned out okay.

March 30th, 2013, 03:29 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Here are those links
LEKKAMRAT Doll, blue - blue - IKEA
Playgro Bath Friends - Boy or Girl, Bath Supplies & Toys | Walmart Canada Online Shopping

March 30th, 2013, 03:59 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That doll from Ikea ^ freaks me the heck out Lyndsey. Reminds me of that old haunted Robert doll thats in a museum for supposedly being haunted lol

March 30th, 2013, 04:31 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think its a great idea...I've never told Vaughn he can't play with something cause its "girls only"...he has no concept of that. And he does have his own "baby", albeit its a teddy bear, but he calls it his baby and changes its clothes (it has several outfits) and feeds it and gives it hugs & affection like u would a real baby. I've been wondering about how to teach Vaughn about this LO...thanks for the inspiration!

March 30th, 2013, 04:55 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's a great idea. Of course, Kiefer has an older sister but he has been playing with dolls for ages. I'm afraid the stroller and carseat we have for our baby dolls are pink but he doesn't know the difference (plus it works out that our baby is a girl). I get crap from lots of people that see him playing with dolls or hear me talking about it but who cares? How else is he supposed to learn what daddies do? I think it's stupid to expect little girls to imitate "mommy duties" and boys to imitate "daddy duties". Everything goes both ways in our house.

March 30th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for all the support! When DH gets paid next week we'll decide on a doll and order one. I'm very excited because we're also starting to purchase "big brother" books and clothing and stuff.

March 31st, 2013, 02:33 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We got an American girl Bitty Baby for DD for Christmas in 2011. She LOVES it. Soft body, plastic head and limbs. It comes with girly clothes, but it is a 15" doll, so it shouldn't be hard to find clothes to fit it. It is super durable. She has played with that doll pretty much daily for well over a year and it is in awesome shape. I highly recommend them.

June 4th, 2013, 05:02 AM
It's great idea to buy this kind of gift for your baby. i would suggest you that don't waste time and get your baby gift from Amazon and Target.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search