Laundry Soap?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 04:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So a VERY nice coworker of DH gave us TONS of hand-me-down clothes for Arthur. I would really like to wash everything (not that I don't trust them, I'm OCD about cleanliness), but I was wondering if it's essential to buy special laundry detergent for baby, or if I can just use my Surf that I use on our laundry. Budget wise, just using what we have is more convenient, but I wasn't sure if that's a no-no.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 1st, 2013, 04:56 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I don't use anything different for baby. I used Dreft with DD and would usually wash her clothes in a seperate load but I've since gotten over that. Of course, if any of my kids were to have super sensitive skin or something I would switch back. Otherwise, they get the same ol' soap as the rest of us!

April 1st, 2013, 04:59 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We use the same stuff for everyone, haven't had an issue.

April 1st, 2013, 05:12 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I use free and clear stuff anyway for my own sensitivities, so I don't use anything different for baby laundry
April 1st, 2013, 06:26 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I plan on using the same. If baby developes any kind of skin irritation then we switch to dreft detergent. I didn't use anything different with my first but I know every baby isn't the same. So we will see.
April 1st, 2013, 06:26 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids always had seriously sensitive skin so I used All baby or Purex baby which are a ton cheaper than Dreft. After the first couple months we switched to All free and clear which I use for everyone and they never had a problem.

April 1st, 2013, 06:43 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH and B both have sensitive skin. We use free and clear for all our laundry and never had a problem.
April 1st, 2013, 07:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys!! I'll just use what we have and if I notice it not meshing well with baby, I'll switch it up

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 2nd, 2013, 04:59 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I use the same stuff as my regular laundry. I tried Dreft with my newborn clothes last time, but stopped buying it cuz it's 9 million dollars for a small container. Total rip off. If this baby has sensitive skin, I'll just get the free and clear detergent.

April 2nd, 2013, 06:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're going to use 7th generation so we can have the same for all baby stuff (clothes and diapers) but I probably would anyway because I have a sensitive skin and we use free and clear stuff anyway. I don't buy into the whole Dreft ads. It has a lot of fragrance in it and other things. I usually read the ingredients.
April 2nd, 2013, 07:00 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've used Draft for DDs clothes since she was a newborn Cuz she has sensitive skin. I don't have problem washing her stuff separate either. I do recommend getting a delicates bag for babies socks tho. Otherwise they have a tendency to get eaten by the washer since they are sooooo small.

April 2nd, 2013, 07:30 AM
Rochelle
We make our own laundry soap now and haven't had any issues so I plan to wash baby's diapers and clothing in the same stuff.
April 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
We also use a free & clear for the whole family, DH (and apparently Connor as well) have skin sensitivities. I've always heard that dreft is just an over-priced detergent made to lure in new mommies with the smell! LOL If you don't have skin sensitivities in the family, then you could probably just use your regular 'ole detergent for baby as well, but a lot of people chose a free & clear detergent since babies skin is so new.

April 2nd, 2013, 03:04 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought a couple bottles of All Free & Clear and a box of Bounce Free and Clear dryer sheets. I'll use those to wash everything the first time and see how baby does with our normal detergent once I go through what I bought. I don't buy into Dreft either. It's ridiculously expensive and not even fragrance free.

April 3rd, 2013, 07:09 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
My oldest has sensitive skin so I use any Free and Clear detergent on all the clothes. I still use fabric softener but I also use dryer balls. Seems to work fine here. I would never waste the money on over priced Dreft.

April 3rd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We always used Free & Clear detergent. You can get gigantic tubs of the stuff for $5 at Big Lots. I was told by my pediatrician and others that Dreft, because of the perfume, can actually make skin conditions worse if you have a very sensitive baby.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search