Birthday parties

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By edgeofelise
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By cheerfulsunrise
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2013, 08:42 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
What kind of birthday parties did you have growing up? Do you plan on doing things similar with your children?

April 2nd, 2013, 09:47 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Um, we definitely didn't get anything fancy and that was just fine. A cake from box mix, a couple balloons and some friends and family in the backyard. We don't do huge themes or any real decorations for DD's birthdays. I think this is probably the first year she'll even have any clue what's going on (turning 3) and so far she's had a blast every year just hanging at the park with family. We'll be doing the same this year since I'll either be huge and miserable or in labor, lol. We might cave and put a little more effort in once she's old enough to make requests, but you'll never see me scouring Pinterest for coordinated decoration ideas or anything like that.
ashleykathleen likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

April 3rd, 2013, 04:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
As a child it was a cake with about 5 friends playing games in the living room. For our kids - oohh. I probably have gone to excess. Animal party, party at a local conservation center, carnival theme in yard, Bounce U, a huge Halloween themed party, Thomas the Tank, Pokemon,and . . . I usually create games, etc. Painted Twister on the grass for one of the parties..
bribugg13 likes this.

April 3rd, 2013, 05:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good ol' cake and icecream at home with the family and grandparents maybe a friend or two at times nothing big at all.
Because of it I try to make Birthdays really cool for dd and bc her bday is the day after Christmas. I dont go all out and spend a ton of $ but I make a really cool cake 1st was a 2 layer heart shaped smash cake as her mamaw made her a make already, 2nd was an elmo cake, 3rd was a babie cake, 4th was a sweet princess cake...by far the best so far. I invite as many people as I can that will come even if I plan last minute which usually happens. We had her 1st &2nd at my inlaws house her 3rd at chuck e cheese and 4th at our new house. Next year she wants a pool party. Oh and the most important all presents must be in bday paper no exceptions!

April 3rd, 2013, 06:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was a kid we had a mixture of big parties and ho-hum celebrations (cake after dinner). It all depended on whether my parents were experiencing a financial boom or bust situation.

In all honesty, I don't understand why people turn their children's parties into a circus event. I keep reading articles about the "perfect party" complete with 3 ring "entertainment stations" party gift bags, art stuff, etc. It looks beautiful and I'm sure the kids have a blast but boy that must be EXHAUSTING for the parents (let alone expensive).

My kids' parties will most likely follow along the lines of "Pick a perfect park and grill out". In future years I'll probably spring for renting space at kid zone things like Entertrainment Junction or Jump n Jacks.
edgeofelise likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 3rd, 2013, 06:15 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
As a child we did parties with friends and family, a lot of pool parties since we lived in S. Florida. As we got older, we didn't do parties as much, instead we went out to a nice/fancy or favorite restaurant for dinner. The in-laws still do big celebrations for everyone, including the adults! It's cake, and presents, etc for everyone (we don't do gifts as adults in my family, my Mom may get us one item or something but not a big deal of opening gifts and such).

For Connor, I threw big, elaborate parties for both his first and second. For his first birthday we took friends and family to a minor league baseball game the night before and then had a big party at my parents house the following day (sports themed, that's what his theme was since the day he was born). I made a football cake for his smash cake, and a #1 cake decorated like a football field for everyone else. I love baking!

And for his 2nd birthday, it was an Elmo party, again with friends and family and Elmo everything! I took a lot of ideas from pinterest, made Elmo cake pops, cupcakes, cookies etc. It was a big deal, I even had my toes painted to look like Elmo!! LOL Here's my blog post on it with pics!

Momma Needs Coffee!: The Elmo Birthday Party

Momma Needs Coffee!: My Baby's Turning "DO"!!!!

I'm super depressed for his 3rd birthday this year, though. Since we're living at the in laws, and I don't have any friends or family in this area, we won't be doing any big party. I was going to do a Cars or Toy Story theme for his 3rd, but now I'm sure we'll just do cake and small gifts and that's about it. I'm super upset over it

April 3rd, 2013, 06:16 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I honestly can't remember anything huge growing up. I realize now that my parents didn't have a lot of money fm while I was younger yet I still grew up without a need.

I love birthdays!!!! When my daughter was younger, I'd just have family over with a homemade cake and a small celebration. However, when she hit school age and developed friends, I started to do bigger parties with friends such as ice skating parties. Her bday is actually this month so she will be having an indoor waterpark bday party for her friends at school and church.

The younger girls are just now getting to that age where bigger parties are in order! The middle girl's bday is 5 days before my due date. Most likely we will have a pool party with family and friends or maybe the party will be moved into the waiting room of a labor and delivery floor because Her aunt, Karen78, is due on her bday!

I LOVE LOVE birthdays!
April 3rd, 2013, 09:25 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only got birthday parties up to the age of 5 and those were with family. It was rather depressing as a kid to know that my parents just didn't care to throw a party for me.
I haven't gone crazy overboard yet since DD is only 2 but her 1st and second we had friends and family come to our place. We had themes and tons of decorations and cakes. Last year we even got her another smash cake even tho she wasn't one. She's daddys little princess so he will always go more overboard than I will. (DH says "loving isn't spoiling" and that he's just making sure she gets used to being treated good so that someday when she's picking a husband to be she will expect her man to treat her as good as her daddy did) LOL. So I'm sure as she gets older the parties will get more elaborate.

April 3rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We always had a birthday party with both sides of the family. My dad would barbeque carne asada, so we could have tacos and rice and beans and all the mexican fixings. And then a cake. When we were little we would have a themed cake, but as we got older, it became costco cake

With Arthur, since we don't live by any family, and we're planning to move...not by family if we move, it'll probably be a small affair, maybe with a couple close friends and possibly my parents.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 3rd, 2013, 10:09 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
when I was young, mostly b-day parties were just with my parents and sisters. When I got to middle school years, I sometimes had a few friends over. For my own kids, b-days are mostly a small, family thing (special dinner, cake, presents, etc) We don't live near any family, so we don't have extended family b-day parties. we do try to do something special, like let our child take some friends to the movies to celebrate, etc but no big "parties" in recent years. I am kind of a home body and the idea of a big party and lots of people kind of freaks me out a little
edgeofelise likes this.

April 3rd, 2013, 10:49 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always had my birthday party at home with family and several friends. Since my birthday is 4 days before Halloween, I usually had a costume party and my friends would sleep over. My mom never had tons of money but she was always very creative with the food and decorations and tried to do the best she could with what we had. Me and my friends always had tons of fun.

I plan to be the same way with my kids. Jaleigh usually wants a swim party since her bday is in July so that's always very easy. I want my kids to have a very special day but you will never catch me spending tons of money on renting a place out or scouring Pinterest for food or decoration ideas.

April 3rd, 2013, 10:03 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We had family parties and when we got to school age a few friends at the house. We did the same with our kids and now that David is in school he wants parties with his friends. We invited his whole class this year, now before you call me crazy we booked pump it up for under 300 dollars for 30 kids. They all won't probably come and we won't do the same next year but its kindergarten and they don't go to recess without playing with the whole class. And in the words of my wise 6 year old, "I just don't want anyone to feel left out, even the kid who gets in trouble." He said maybe the kid who gets in trouble just needs a friend. I'm excited for his party. No clean up, no food just cake Ice cream and jumping. Costco cake for the win!
bribugg13 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search