Baby wearing?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2013, 08:03 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Who is going to babywear? I spent a good bit of time looking into it yesterday and it appears that I can make my own wrap. Is anyone else going this route? What about any advice for a first time babywearer?

#1, 4, 5, 7
April 3rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to baby wear too. My mom bought us a Moby, and then DH's coworker handed us down a Moby. We're going to start out with that, and hope that it works for us. My friend used her moby like CRAZY with her 3rd, since that baby did not want to be put down. I'm hoping that with the move right after he's born and possibly Disney trip when he's 8 weeks, mine'll like the Moby too.

I looked into the possibility of making my own wrap, but since I was given too, I've decided to give up on that. LOL

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 3rd, 2013, 10:30 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be baby wearing. I didn't with my first but I did with my son and I loved it! So convenient when you have another little one to chase after. I have a Moby wrap to start out with but I've been shopping around and researching some other options so I may end up with another carrier or two of some sort.

April 3rd, 2013, 11:04 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Baby wearing was a necessity with Abri. I made my own Moby style wrap and ring sling last time. I found out that I really preferred the Moby style in those first few weeks. I'll make my own again, because my other one is hot pink. Not really what I want to use for this boy. Once Abri got bigger, I used my Ergo. I loved that thing! I used it daily up until she started walking and didn't want to be worn anymore. I wore her to the park with Lily, I wore her during Lily's dance class, I wore her to the grocery store, I even wore her to a Civil War battle re-enactment.
April 3rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I still have my ergo sport from when I would wear Connor. I really, really want a ring sling for this baby, but I went through like 3 different carriers with Connor because either I wasn't comfortable/didn't like it, or he didn't like it. So I'm concerned about spending the money on yet another carrier that I may or may not end up using and loving!!

I've always admired the wraps and those who wear them, I just didn't feel like battling the learning curve for them! lol

My other carriers that we tried were the moby (we both hated it, was WAY too hot for summer and he would get so overheated in it) and a mei tei (I loved it, but he wasn't comfortable and would cry every time).

April 3rd, 2013, 12:58 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I didn't use one with my oldest but got into them with my youngest. I started out with a moby and loved it once I got the wrap down. Then I got a Mai Tai and that is my favorite now!!!! I can't wait to wear him and it will be perfect with a toddler to chase around at the same time

April 3rd, 2013, 03:30 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wore DD like crazy, but I didn't really get the hang of it until she was about 3 months old. We had an ergo right away, but I couldn't wear it because it sat on my c-section incision. DH, however, took her for almost-nightly walks in it during the "witching hour." I got a moby later on and I was kicking myself for not having it earlier. I had a ring sling but it was handmade with padding, which didn't allow me to wear it over my right shoulder. It always felt awkward. Later on I got a pocket sling that ended up being my favorite because it was so easy to get her in and out when she was learning to walk.

This time, I'm dying for a woven wrap. I am NOT a crafty person and have zero inclination to make one for myself, and since I already have so many other carriers I probably won't spend the money on one. A friend of mine did make a mesh sling for us to use this summer. Hopefully it's comfortable and nice and cool. I never used the moby in the summer but I overheat easily so I don't know if it'll work for us. I've also got a seven sling which we can use once he's a tiny bit bigger. I don't know what we'd do without babywearing since we live in the city and walk everywhere!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

April 3rd, 2013, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You don't even want to know how many babycarriers I own. *I* don't want to count them! LOL! I love love LOVE woven wraps. They're soooo worth the price, and you can buy them used for under $100. If you want to make your own, I've heard really good things about osnaburg fabric at Joanns. It's cheap and supposedly makes a nice wrap. I sew a lot, but I have absolutely no interest in hemming 4+ meters of fabric! Ring slings are nice and manageable to make. Get your rings from slingrings.com. I prefer a pleated style shoulder as opposed to a gathered shoulder. I've even made my own soft structured carriers and they're not as hard as you would think. The only thing I never used was a mei tai, because if I was going to deal with long tails, I just used a wrap, and when I wanted quick up and downs, I used an SSC or a ring sling (depending on how long I'd be wearing and how big baby was).
April 3rd, 2013, 07:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I *strongly* recommend baby carrying. We bought a sleepy wrap within weeks of Alex's birth and have ranked it as a higher necessity than the pack n' play. And we love the pack n' play (it was his crib for the first 2 months).

I have sewn my own ring sling and plan on sewing more for myself. The sleepy wrap is awesome but it is thick which means sweaty. I want something more cool this time around

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search