hospital visitors

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2013, 01:32 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Will you welcome visitors before baby is born or do you want them to wait until after you deliver?

What about the day you take baby home? Do you want visitors at home that day? If not, how do you make it known?
April 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will welcome visitors after delivery, but only after I have had a couple hours to recover and meet my baby with just DH and my children.

I don't like to have visitors unless its just like my mom on the day I bring the baby home.. thankfully it seems like most of my friends and family are really good about asking me to text or call them when I feel up to visitors so I haven't really had to turn people away.
Hopeful2BMommy likes this.

April 3rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll probably have my friend come in at least once before the baby is born, if it looks like we're going to have a long labor, just to give DH a minute to step out and get food. Or to have her come in and bring DH food.

After the baby is born, I would probably have my friend and her DF and their kids come and visit, and I guess I'll probably have to suck it up and let my pastor come and visit. But other than that, once we get home, I plan on becoming a hermit with DH and the baby until my parents come out on the 14th
Hopeful2BMommy likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 3rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
visitors will wait in waiting room and my mom will probably be with the baby before I get out of recovery. My sister should also be here from Connecticut. They will be the only ones allowed to visit for the first couple hours.

Ill probably be in the hospital for a couple days. I suspect friends and family will visit throughout the stay.

My grandmother is planning on coming down for a week to help out with the baby, i asked her nicely if she would be willing to wait until after hubby goes back to work, otherwise its really too many chefs in the kitchen.

Its not that I need help as much as it is her wanting to bond. She had a hard time with us moving away is afraid my kids will forget her.

Thats about it.

April 3rd, 2013, 02:24 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
My friends and family always call to make a date so I'm not too worried about visitors at home once we are released. In the hospital...I'm hoping maybe a couple hours of just our immediate family at first. Then welcome friends. Not too sure how to make it known.
April 3rd, 2013, 02:34 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our parents (Father-in-law and his wife, MIL, My Mom) plus DH's sisters were all in the waiting room. We didn't let them back to recovery and had them wait until we were transferred to a room. I will be in a couple of days, also so if my staff wants to come visit, then I am fine with that. I prefer them visit in the hospital than my home.

Once we come home, I prefer that nobody stay over night. They can come for a couple of hours if they check first.

You are not going to be up to entertaining and hosting the first couple of weeks, especially if you are breastfeeding. Pretty much your entire waking hours are spent feeding baby or trying to sleep between feedings.
April 3rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Close family after she arrives My parents will bring the kids over to meet their sister.

On the day we come home, I would like the same.

April 3rd, 2013, 03:14 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm really hoping people stay away for a few days at least. I want to get used to BFing and have time to bond with baby before people start bombarding me. Plus, DH will only have a couple days off from work so I want to make sure he has time to bond, too.

April 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DD, my mom, dad, and MIL were all in the room the first night I was in labor. I almost killed my dad and actually threatened MIL (her fault for not turning off her phone ringer the first 5 times I asked her to). My mom was the only one who was helpful to me and DH. She will be the only one permitted in at all this time while I am in labor. After the baby is born, DH and I will have time to bond with the baby just us. We will call my parents to bring DD to the hospital. Once there is time for just baby, me, and DH, we will bring DD in to have some family time together for a while. After that, my parents can come in. I don't think MIL will make it this time to the hospital unless it's right before I am leaving since she will be driving and not flying from GA this time. (I am pretty relieved by that.)

When we get home, I am totally fine with family and friends coming by for an hour or so at a time in small groups. MIL has been told that she can't stay at our house those first few days. I feel kinda mean about that, but there is no way I can handle a newborn baby and her in my house full time. She is majorly high maintenance. (This wasn't a problem with DD b/c we lived in a 2 bedroom condo and had no room for her.) My family all lives nearby and will probably stop by intermittently bringing food and what not.

April 3rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
No one until after baby is born. No one will even be called until we are ready for visitors, except for whoever is watching my older kiddos (and even then my older kids will be first to meet the new baby). I've had people just barge in during both of my last deliveries and I HATED it.

As for at home, I will want AT LEAST a few days to settle in and let everyone start getting adjusted. And anyone who just drops by will not be entertained.
April 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've decided I'm not allowing any visitors in the hospital unless they are mediate blood relatives. My mom will bring DD and she'll wait in the waiting room while we spend time the 4 of us. After DD starts to get bored, my mom and SO's mom can come in. After that, we'll allow the rest of the immediate family (so's bros and dad/step mom and so's youngest bro's gf who is definitely the closest thing I have to a sister here).

Once we get home, my mom (who lives with us) will be going to stay with a friend of hers for the first few days, maybe a week. During that time, only family will be allowed to visit, for maybe an hour at a time. Absolutely no one will be allowed the stay overnight while SO is home from work. Once he goes back, I'll have some family coming down to visit, though none will be staying at our house. It's very important to me that we have this time to bond as a family.

#1, 4, 5, 7
April 3rd, 2013, 06:33 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
No one until after baby is born, and even then we will call them to come. I had a good experience with family and a good friend in the waiting room the first time, but I had other people barge in the day after without asking. I was struggling with breastfeeding and in pain and I was not happy about having to entertain. The second time was so quick and in the middle of the night that we didn't have time to call anyone other than my mom who kept Lily. It was kind of nice just me, DH, and our new baby until the next day. Then we called my mom to bring Lily. We also had my MIL, SIL with her girls, and my sister come but one at a time. It was much more laid back.

As for visitors at home, we probably won't have too many other than family. I'm totally okay with camping out on the couch nursing with them around. They know I won't go above and beyond to entertain them and they won't expect that. Besides, DH probably won't take any time off work so hopefully my mom and MIL will come help with laundry and dishes
April 3rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No visitors will be allowed at the hospital with the exception of my Mom as she will be watching DD. Except for my aunt that is as she will likely be there working the labor and delivery ward anyway so she will probably be my nurse and if she's not I will raise Cain til she gets there lol.

After lil man is born at the hospital and home no one will be allowed for the first few weeks unless they call first and I OK it. And no one will be allowed to stay more than a few hours.

April 3rd, 2013, 09:18 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We'll probably have most of the family in the waiting room like they did last time. We had several visitors over the course of the 3 days we were in the hospital - most repeat offenders My family is super close so they just come. All called except for DH's old bestfriend from growing up. I was super annoyed when his wife and him came but apparently Dh texted them what hospital we were at so he kind of invited them when they texted for details.

When we came home no one stopped by unannounced but we were living in a third floor walk up apartment then. I don't know what to expect this time but my MIL kindly informed me she took off the first week of June to help. (over my dead body and I mean it...I will have to be dead) hahah So we'll see what happens then.

They can come as long as its not more than 2-3 people at a time and if they bring food.
sunnydaze likes this.

April 3rd, 2013, 09:22 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
We will be at home, No visitors for a few days.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

April 3rd, 2013, 09:27 PM
Rochelle
Will you welcome visitors before baby is born or do you want them to wait until after you deliver? MUCH after!

What about the day you take baby home? Do you want visitors at home that day? If not, how do you make it known? No, I'll be recovering from a c/s and it will be hard enough adjusting with that and the 3 kids. My parents and IL's will spread the word. We're having a "meet the baby/ 2 youngest kids bday party" on Aug 17th. They can visit then after baby is 6-8 weeks old or so. As far as my two local friends go if they REALLY want to visit me in hossy, they can after the first day but I won't exactly encourage it. They can visit me at home after DH returns to work after a week. My parents will probably come to hossy right away and i hope the ILs stay right where they are for a looong time. I'm going to encourage them to wait to come until next year when the baby will be more interesting since they have such a long trip here. My ILs are hugely inconsiderate when visiting and i cannot take care of their lazy a$$es and recover and take care of 3 kids too. Screw that!
April 3rd, 2013, 09:35 PM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
You are not going to be up to entertaining and hosting the first couple of weeks, especially if you are breastfeeding. Pretty much your entire waking hours are spent feeding baby or trying to sleep between feedings.
yup
April 3rd, 2013, 10:14 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I have no idea I had a falling out with my mom on Easter, I haven't talked to her since so I'm not sure what we will do.

April 3rd, 2013, 11:25 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think we probably won't have any visitors before he is born, except for maybe my Mom if she happened to make it here before he was born. (She's 3 hours away.) After he's here, I'm sure some of our friends will come visit and my family that's in Alabama probably. Not sure about the rest of my family or my husbands. When we get home, I'd like to have a few days with just us, but who knows with all our family being out of state.

A girl I know recently had her baby & on Facebook she posted that they were at th hospital & she was in labor & that they were going to hold off on visitors until they got home, but they would make sure to update everyone with plenty of info & photos. I thought that was a good way to say "please don't come to the hospital" without actually having to say it straight out!
April 4th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
During labour and delivery, only DH and possibly my step-mum (we're very close) will be there. But then afterwards, since we're delivering with a midwife we get discharged 2-4 hours after delivery...so there's really no point in having anyone come visit us at the hospital.

Once we get home, we pretty much live with anyone who would come visit anyways. We live with my dad and step-mum, and my older brother and his wife live in the basement apartment. So I'm sure they'll all come in my room and say hi and then probably leave us alone. Other than that, we don't really have anyone that would come visit. We've got a few other family members, but they'll probably just wait until the next family get-together to meet the baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search