Breastfeeding class... Recommend?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By beatlechicksteph
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BTDT moms, would you recommend attending a breastfeeding class to a ftm?
April 4th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Super Mommy
i would. i breastfed my first for 6 months but it was a bumpy road...i was very naive and thought it would just come perfectly naturally. i was always embarrassed to ask for help and now looking back i really wish i had done my research, ie. take a class, read more books, etc. i think if i had done those things i would have been able to bf a lot longer. and although it is natural for mothers to nurse so many problems/issues can arise that can be easily taken care IF you know what to do.
April 4th, 2013, 09:03 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Most definitely! It can give you the basics and what to expect, but more importantly is hands on once the baby is born and getting a lactation consultant in there with you! If a hospital doesn't provide one, or they suck lol, I would do some research and find one in your area.

I also HIGHLY HIGHLY SUPER DUPER recommend attending LLL (la leche league) meetings, I started going a few months before Connor was born and then attended regularly for awhile afterwards as well. They are a WEALTH of information and support, it was AMAZING!!!! I learned more from them than anywhere else and it's FREE!!

http://www.llli.org/webus.html

April 4th, 2013, 09:08 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes. Most Lactation consultants make themselves available to students that have been through their classes. It also will give you a frame of reference for when baby is actually here.
April 4th, 2013, 09:57 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I would recommend it. I think it helps a lot.

April 4th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
^^ This all makes me feel so much better about my decision to take one. I'm going next Saturday. DH is going with me. We think if we both hear the information, he'll know what to say if I get frustrated those first few weeks.
bribugg13 and KellBell2621 like this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 4th, 2013, 10:57 AM
PurpleStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine was super basic and the info was generic you could find anywhere on the internet. Totally didn't help me. I learned WAY more from the lactation consultant I saw.

April 4th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes. The hospital I had DD at routinely sent lactation consultants to every mom who just gave birth. The one I had DS at didn't do that. Even with my second kid, I thought it was helpful to have a LC available to make sure everything was going smoothly. A class before birth will be good to get information as to what you can expect and what common problems can arise so that you're more equipped to deal with them if they should come up. Definitely see a LC if you can after baby is born just to make sure things go smoothly!
April 4th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Definitely take a class if it will a) cover a lot of material OR b) it will connect you with resources like your hospital lactation consultants or lactation center or whatever. I had read through Nursing Mother's Companion and a bunch of online stuff before mine, but I still learned a few things, and more importantly learned about how to ensure that the hospital knew I was EBFing and get the support for that, and how to take advantage of their LCs.

I did not have a local LLL chapter that was at all active or having meetings or anything like that, (Mississippi ) but I think it is well worth finding one if you do have one near you. Just seeing other moms nursing tiny babies is really eye opening, there is sort of a trick to getting most babies to latch on (tickle their cheek with your nipple or something to get them to open their mouth wide and then right when it is WIDE open, shove the boob far in, quick, lol... easier to see in person than explain!!!) In our culture we don't see enough public, open nursing, especially of tiny newborns, so you really do need to seek out some examples and learn how to do it, it is not 100% instinct!
bribugg13 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search