Questions about contractions and pains (Some TMI!)

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By ~Traci~
  • 2 Post By edgeofelise
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By Mom2LillieAidan
  • 1 Post By KellBell2621
  • 1 Post By TeresaV

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 09:12 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, being a first timer, I'm so confused about braxton hicks, contractions, and different types of pain. I know that every woman is different with contractions and pains, but I really have no idea what I'm even trying to pay attention to.

1. I have a really tight feeling off and on in my lower abdomen, like where I'd probably get period cramps. Never painful, just very obvious. I assume these are braxton hicks.

2. I've also been having some very painful cramp-like pains any time I need to have a bowel movement (TMI, Sorry!!). Yesterday it stopped me in my tracks in the kitchen. I'm taking colace either 2 or 3 capsules every night because the constipation has been so horrible starting the beginning of my 2nd trimester. I had bad gas pains before I started the colace all those weeks ago, too. But this isn't anything to worry about, right? I guess it's just because everything so smooshed in there.

3. Some more TMI, just a warning. I've read this is completely normal, but my lady bits hurt like crazy. At first it was only when I sat in one position too long, now it's any time I've sat, stood, or walked. The only time I get relief is when I'm laying down and in a certain position. Anyone have any ideas on how to ease this? SO asks me all the time if I'm okay, and I finally said to him "Imagine your penis being sore all day and occasionally being severely sore for no apparent reason." Haha. Poor guy. He's super understanding though.

Anyway, any input from you ladies would be great.

April 5th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Super Mommy
It sounds to me like you are having BH contractions. I have just recently started getting more and more and it usually happens when I over do it. I definitely felt a few when I was cleaning the house last weekend. My lady bits have felt bruised and swollen for a couple of months now. I don't remember this with my first, but it is certainly not a fun feeling. It almost feels like someone kicked me really hard between the legs. Even the slightest touch hurts. I think this little girl is just sitting really low and putting a lot of pressure down there. I feel your pain. We have 8 weeks to go!!! We can do this! (man it feels so good to say that)
eshute likes this.
April 5th, 2013, 10:14 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get BH contractions ALL THE TIME. It started at 16 weeks with this one. It's never an acute pain, and it's very different from what labor contractions felt like for me. The BH are just an overall tightening. My belly gets rock-hard and sometimes it takes my breath away because it's squeezing so hard. Uncomfortable, but not necessarily painful unless I have to pee. Then I can't even stand upright and have to hobble as fast as I can to the bathroom.

Real labor contractions felt very much like period cramps, especially in the beginning. When I was in very very early labor I just felt like the BH were getting more intense; it still wasn't a cramp-like pain but they were getting really strong. It wasn't until that night that they changed from feeling like a boa constrictor to just very strong menstrual cramps, down low. That's how I knew it was the real deal.

The sharp pains you're getting just sound like really bad gas from the constipation. Something that helps me is to do a forward inversion. I get on my knees on the edge of the couch and lower the top half of my body to the floor, resting on my elbows. It's an exercise that's supposed to help the baby get into a good position for labor, but for some reason (total TMI here!) I always pass gas when I do it. Like, a lot. I'm really glad I don't try it when nobody else is around! Anyway, you can get instructions on spinningbabies.com

I don't have vaginal pain but sometimes when he's sitting really low he puts pressure on my cervix and it really, really hurts. It's a good thing, though, it means baby is doing some advance work in there.

Hang in there, we really are so close!
eshute and sunnydaze like this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

April 6th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Very good questions. I am not a newbie and I don't know the answers With our first, I never had a contraction until I went into labor. I first thought I had a back ache - finally figured out the ache came every 30 minutes and then 20, etc. Then I got the pain in front. With our second I had preterm. Did not even feel the contractions (only found out since I had some blood). With this one lots of BH. I questioned the doc as I was concerned about PT. Just kinda said I would know. I am seeing my favorite doc next time and cannot wait to ask him these questions.

There are times when I have to strain to go to the bathroom that I get contractions as well.

As for lady parts. Here is a warning. I feel at time large down there. I am also really dry. I've tried wearing a pantyliner for when you sneeze and need a little protection. However,anything like that irritates the area. I think it is all normal.
eshute likes this.

April 6th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I too, have severe pubic pain. I remember this when I was closer to my due date with sebastian, but I'm still 10weeks away this time around.

I thought maybe I pulled a groin muscle, but it isn't lessening or healing. It hurts the more I move. Like when I walk for too long, going up and down stairs and climbing in and out of low to the ground cars.

It is really really limiting my ability to do anything. Sebastian has his first soccer practice today and I'm worried about crossing the parking lot

As for the rest, it seems like BH and upset belly from constipation. Is colace a stool softener or a laxative? I can't remember. But laxatives can induce contractions. If colace is a laxative, maybe try switching to a stool softener instead.

April 6th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the severe pubic pain also. It started weeks ago. The doc will tell you that it's likely just your pelvis spreading to let baby out. I had it super early with DD too. You can ease the pain a little with a heating pad (don't overdo the heat tho, baby is super close) or a warm bath.
eshute likes this.

#1, 4, 5, 7
April 6th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Super Mommy
definitely sounds like braxton hicks.

as far as constipation..i go from being super constipated to having diarrhea (sorry tmi!) so when im having trouble i try to up the fiber and eat more fruit. i'll take a stool softener if it's really bad. i've noticed not eating too close to bedtime helps too. since i get really bad stomach cramps in the morning.

if you are experiencing a lot of pelvic pain/pressure...towards the end of my last pregnancy it got really bad so i would put a heating pad down there (make sure it's not too hot!) or take a warm bath. both of those helped a lot
eshute likes this.
April 6th, 2013, 06:51 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaze View Post
I too, have severe pubic pain. I remember this when I was closer to my due date with sebastian, but I'm still 10weeks away this time around.

I thought maybe I pulled a groin muscle, but it isn't lessening or healing. It hurts the more I move. Like when I walk for too long, going up and down stairs and climbing in and out of low to the ground cars.

It is really really limiting my ability to do anything. Sebastian has his first soccer practice today and I'm worried about crossing the parking lot

As for the rest, it seems like BH and upset belly from constipation. Is colace a stool softener or a laxative? I can't remember. But laxatives can induce contractions. If colace is a laxative, maybe try switching to a stool softener instead.
Colace is a stool softener. I've heard it's the best for pregnancy and totally safe up to 3 caps a day. Sorry that you're having so much pain. believe me, between the lady parts pain and my sciatic nerve acting up now, I wobble and HATE going anywhere that I have to walk more than a few feet. It sucks!

Thanks ladies!! Being a first timer, things still freak me out even if I know it's normal. It's always nice to hear it from real people! It sucks that we're all uncomfortable, but at least we're not alone It's totally worth it in the end and I keep telling baby that as uncomfortable as I am, she can wait a little longer to come meet the world.

I'm sure I won't stop freaking out til she gets here, though. Haha.

April 6th, 2013, 06:59 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I'm a first-timer too, but I can tell you that I am experiencing a lot of the same issues. I have been having BH for a couple of weeks, even more than the 4 an hour that "they" say is few enough to not worry.

My lady parts hurt like crazy. Not sore to the touch per say, but definitely more like I got kicked there. My doc said that is normal as well. There are times where I feel like my insides are going to fall out.

I get the pain on occasion, and I think it's gas or constipation. I am definitely not regular like I used to be. It is definitely different than menstrual cramps, so I don't worry about those, either.

Hang in there! We're getting close!
eshute likes this.

April 7th, 2013, 06:27 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I agree that it sounds like BH contractions that you are having. Try upping your water intake. That should help with the BH and a little with the constipation too.

I'm totally swollen down below too. That's normal at this point.

As for distinguishing between BH and real contractions, my real ones feel like the cramping before having a bad case of diarrhea. Sorry, TMI! I don't get cramps with AF so it's the only thing I can relate it to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search