Upset!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By LisaS
  • 7 Post By MerinSun
  • 2 Post By LisaS
  • 1 Post By Gen88

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2013, 07:45 AM
First time mommy :)
So, I got a letter from my college yesterday. It states that, upon reviewing my grades I am being considered for admission into the Surgical Tech program this fall. Yay, right? It also says there is a MANDATORY orientation for all Surg Tech candidates on Saturday, April 27th from 9-1, and if you do not attend you will NOT be considered for the program. My BABY SHOWER is that day! I have to be at the restaurant at 11, and I have an appointment to get my hair done at 8, plus I want to spend the whole morning with my mom and get the cake and help decorate :-( My invitations have been out for a month, I have 30 RSVPs already, people are buying my gifts, I have family flying in from Virginia and an Aunt going through chemo who is a saint and actually driving up from Southern IL for this shower! So nice of my school to give us 2 weeks notice on this! And to have it on a day that the college isn't even open! I really hope they make an exception for me :-( They can't expect me to cancel my shower or change the date! I can't miss my own baby shower! The only way I could do it is if I canceled my hair appt (which I don't want to do my own hair because I actually want to look nice) and left the orientation early. But I really don't want to do that because I have had my whole day planned out for months! I have been working my butt off to get straight A's to make it into this program and to know there's a possibility I'll be denied admission because of this is devastating. Sigh....sorry for the rant!

Last edited by Rissa6213; April 7th, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
April 7th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I would skip the hair and get to the baby shower late/leave the orientation early. It would be nice if school would make an exception for you, but I don't know that telling them you need to be at a party would be enough reason for them to do that. You worked hard to get into that program and it will be soooo good for your future that I think it should be the priority.
hilachu, Gen88, MamaSkunk and 2 others like this.
April 7th, 2013, 09:04 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Oh no! Huge hugs Hun! I hope you can figure something out.

April 7th, 2013, 09:35 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Would there be any way to bump the shower to the next day? Then you could still do everything you wanted to to do the day of the shower and still get to the orientation. Schools generally don't care what your plans are, unfortunately, and I know that majorly sucks. DH had a terrible time getting an exception at his school when his grandfather died and the funeral was that day out of state. They told him no at first and it was horrible getting them to change their mind. But if you could have the shower the next day, you could still be with all of the people who came in from out of town, still spend time with your mom and get your hair done before the shower, but most importantly, still be able to make it to the orientation to take this step that will better your future and your baby's future. I would totally be upset, too, and the short notice really does suck. I hope you can work out a way to do and enjoy both. Good luck!

April 7th, 2013, 10:55 AM
First time mommy :)
I can't bump the shower because the room isn't available :-( if they don't make an exception then hopefully they at least will be understanding about leaving early. And its not "a party", it's my only baby shower I'll have that I have had plans for for 2 months.
April 7th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Knowing colleges and their orientation policies I highly doubt that they would allow you to skip it or to leave early. If you leave early you may end up forfeiting your spot.

As much as it sucks it is more important to guarantee your spot in school for your career's (and ultimately your baby's) sake.

Skip the hair appointment and show up to the shower late. I'm sure your friends and family will be understanding.
LisaS, ~Traci~, hilachu and 4 others like this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 7th, 2013, 11:50 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
Knowing colleges and their orientation policies I highly doubt that they would allow you to skip it or to leave early. If you leave early you may end up forfeiting your spot.

As much as it sucks it is more important to guarantee your spot in school for your career's (and ultimately your baby's) sake.

Skip the hair appointment and show up to the shower late. I'm sure your friends and family will be understanding.
Agreed. I'm assuming that there are countless other people waiting to get into the program, so it's no skin off their backs if you can't make the orientation. They'll just pick the next person on the list. It sucks. I would be beyond frustrated, too. Sorry that you are put in a difficult spot. I hope you can work something out.

April 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know the shower is very important to you and a huge thing, especially with all your family coming to town. But the school won't see it that way...that's just what I was trying to say...I wasn't trying to downplay it.
Gen88 and pamela.burke611 like this.
April 7th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you're going thru this, but do you wanna get in the program or have nice hair? I say skip the hair appointment.
pamela.burke611 likes this.

April 7th, 2013, 02:39 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto the other ladies...I would skip the hair...not worth losing out on something you worked so hard for.

April 7th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That does stink and puts you in a tough spot I think your family would totally understand you being late to your shower if thats what it takes to get it to the program that sounds like you have been trying fora really long time and busting your butt for. Maybe you can get a quick do and haul butt to orientation thn pray they let you out early and haul butt to your shower It will all work out!

Last edited by crawmommy; April 7th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
April 7th, 2013, 03:16 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also agree with Merin. Skip the hair appointment and show up late to the shower. I'm sure your family will understand especially if you explain the situation to them. And yes the shower is important and all but in the grand scheme of things the shower is only important in a short term kind of way. This class thing is much more important in a long term grand scheme of things kind of way.

April 7th, 2013, 03:32 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
I'm not sure what your hair is like, but sometimes you can get it styled the day before (like getting pincurls or something) and wear something over your hair to bed to preserve the style. Maybe you could see about getting it blown out or set the day before and do a touch-up the day of?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search