CD absorption question

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By edgeofelise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2013, 07:26 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I posted this on the CD board also, but thought since we have so many CD experts in this DDC, I would post here, as well. So I prepped my inserts, both the microfiber and the bamboo. I wanted to compare them to see which was more absorbent to decide whether or not it was worth it to spend the extra money on the bamboo when I really stock up. I prepped them both in exactly the same way (but separately b/c I understand that natural and synthetic fibers have to be prepped separately), put one insert of each type onto paper towels (to be able to see any soaking through), and poured one tablespoon of water onto each one. The water leaked straight through both. Did I do something wrong? It seemed like nothing absorbed. I'm wondering if I screwed up in prepping somehow, but even without being prepped at all, I feel like one tablespoon of water is not a lot to hold. I am concerned and wondering if I made a mistake... Does anyone know what is going on?

April 8th, 2013, 07:51 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did it go *through* the insert, or repel off the sides? You'd only need to worry about them not working properly if it's repelling. If it's just wicking through to the other side really quickly that's okay, because you'll have a water-repellant (PUL, fleece, wool, whatever kind of cover you're using) layer overtop and it'll keep it from leaking. The whole insert will end up soaked, not just the area where the wetness first hits it.

How many times did you wash the bamboo? Natural fibers often need about 5-6 washings before they're fully prepped, and they'll still continue to be more absorbent the more times you wash them. They do typically absorb more than man-made fibers, but they can also hold on to stink and be harder to care for. Microfiber also tends to absorb more quickly, so a layer of MF closest to baby's bottom (but not touching; it can really dry out skin) with a layer or bamboo or hemp underneath is a great combo.

I hope that made sense, lol.
navywifey2003 likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

April 8th, 2013, 07:55 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
^^ this exactly. The insert works by pulling the moisture in away from babies body. The shell of the diaper is what keeps the moisture from escaping once its inside the insert.

April 9th, 2013, 03:51 AM
lalap's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeofelise View Post
Did it go *through* the insert, or repel off the sides? You'd only need to worry about them not working properly if it's repelling. If it's just wicking through to the other side really quickly that's okay, because you'll have a water-repellant (PUL, fleece, wool, whatever kind of cover you're using) layer overtop and it'll keep it from leaking. The whole insert will end up soaked, not just the area where the wetness first hits it.

How many times did you wash the bamboo? Natural fibers often need about 5-6 washings before they're fully prepped, and they'll still continue to be more absorbent the more times you wash them. They do typically absorb more than man-made fibers, but they can also hold on to stink and be harder to care for. Microfiber also tends to absorb more quickly, so a layer of MF closest to baby's bottom (but not touching; it can really dry out skin) with a layer or bamboo or hemp underneath is a great combo.

I hope that made sense, lol.
I'm confused. How do you get the microfiber closest to the baby without it touching? Use a liner? We also have both natural and synthetic options in our new stash.
April 9th, 2013, 06:28 AM
The water soaked straight through. No repelling at all. I washed the bamboo ones 5x. I am confused. If everything soaks straight through to the cover, how is anything considered absorbent? It goes through to the cover and then get picked up by the rest of the insert from the cover? I was really disturbed to find that not even one tablespoon of water was absorbed. That doesn't seem like a large amount. I don't understand how everything doesn't leak this way. I feel like kind of an idiot bc I know tons of moms CD and don't have leaking problems, but I don't get it. I'm trying to approach this scientifically (just how I am) to make the best choices and now I'm wondering if I'm going to have constant leaking. I just don't want to shell out a ton of money on this, have them not contain anything, and then end up with disposables anyway. I was getting really excited about this and I feel a bit deflated.

April 9th, 2013, 06:51 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
what type of diapers are using? a fitted? pocket? what?

a fitted well be wet faster then a pocket, because the pocket has the inside , insert, outside..

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

April 9th, 2013, 07:09 AM
AI2 and I also got one pocket to try. Not sure that I'm going to like the pocket. I tried putting them both on DD for practice and I already didn't like stuffing the pocket and it was a lot puffier looking. But the inserts are supposed to go with both b/c they are part of the same system.

April 9th, 2013, 07:36 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
AI2. need a lot of prep.. they have a lot of layers and require a lot of dry time..

I love our pockets, that is all we use. Stuffing them takes as long, as drying AI2 haha

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search