Baby medicene

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopeful2BMommy
  • 1 Post By SassySami
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By wildchihuahua
  • 1 Post By rcjh12
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By bobbiejo1982

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2013, 10:01 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
What should I get to have on hand for baby medicine?

What kind of fever reducer should I use for neborn/infant?
April 9th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good question for us ftm!
bobbiejo1982 likes this.
April 9th, 2013, 10:20 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
hmmm I'm very anti meds for babies..

Fevers are around to fight off whatever the baby has.

http://www.motherearthliving.com/hea...or-babies.aspx

Do not get me wrong, we will use western meds when have tried all eastern meds.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

April 9th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love Tylenol - the red one with the little dropper. Advil - the purple one also works.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 10:58 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tylenol is the only one that is recommended for babies under the age of 6 months. Ibuprofen can be too hard on their little kidneys before 6 months.

Also, make sure you have nasal saline drops (such as BabyAyr) and a nasal suction bulb, since a little congestion can really clog up the tiny nose. Newborns are obligate nose breathers, meaning they cannot breath through their mouth if congested. This can interfere with feeding and sleeping, so suctioning makes a big difference. Do not use any cold medicines without the advise of your physician.

Other than that, have some diaper cream. I personally like Boudreaux's the best - smells nice and doesn't stain.

Hope that helps!
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 11:06 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I would recommend some gripe water and/or Mylicon drops, but that's coming from my MONTHS of a colicky/gassy/fussy baby with my youngest.

Although he's still kinda whiny at 6 so maybe it wasn't ever gas
bobbiejo1982 likes this.
April 9th, 2013, 11:27 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I don't use much medicine on newborns or infants. I try warm baths and steamy showers before giving any type of meds.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 12:06 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the others, if you can avoid meds on little ones, it is best. If your little one runs a fever, then your Pedi office can recommend dosage based on weight.

For colds and congestion - boogie wipes, saline spray and nose suction

For gas/etc - Mylicon, gripe water or little tummies. I also would fill a sock with rice and get gently warm and hold to his tummy.

Teething pain - I swear by the amber necklace
bobbiejo1982 likes this.
April 9th, 2013, 12:14 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also was told by the many nurses in my family that you should avoid any medicines for newborns. Use a suction bulb for nasal decongestion (BTW you shouldn't use decongestants on any child under 6) also steam...so crank up that shower high as it goes and sit in there with your baby. Also like soothing vapor johnson n johnson bubble bath for congestion.The only time you will want to use a med is on a temp. A high grade temp is anything over 102. And that's when your gonna wanna use a fever reducer (never attempt to sweat it out on any child) I used Infant Motrin for a fever reducer as that's what the doctor and pharmacist reccomended to me. However...before buying any thing talk to your pediatrician and the pharmacist for good measure beforehand as things are always changing. But decongestants and cough medicines don't even bother with as they aren't for baby's much less a young child.

Also if your newborn gets a fever your gonna wanna go to the Dr more than self treat as fevers in infants can spike quickly.
As your baby gets older tho...a tepid bath(not cool) will help lower fevers. Or strip them down.

Oh and plain pedialyte is always good to have on hand.

Last edited by MamaSkunk; April 9th, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
April 10th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
Tempra, Tylenol, Advil. I never used advil until DD was much older and I never gave her any medication before 6 months that I can remember. She did get a fever when she was 3 months old but the doctor wanted us to come in and they gave her something in the office but I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing that at home with such a young baby.

I second the gas drops and gripe water to have on hand as well (not that they worked for DD but other people swear by it)

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
April 10th, 2013, 12:59 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for all the info. I wasn't planning to give him to much that little. My main concern was what to do for a fever. Sounds like calling the doc is the first step.
Thanks
zkat likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search