Mirrors/feeling baby

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopeful2BMommy
  • 1 Post By beatlechicksteph

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2013, 02:08 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Will you use a mirror to see your baby being born or would you prefer not to see? What about reaching down and touching your babies head?

April 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No to both
Disruptivebubbles likes this.
April 10th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm with Amy, definite no to both.
Hopeful2BMommy likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 10th, 2013, 02:57 PM
lalap's Avatar Super Mommy
I literally made a face just now. Haha. Nope.
April 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am thinking I could. With our last child, the doc asked me as I was about to deliver if I wanted to. I did not know of this option and just said no. This time could be different.

April 10th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I said no when the doctor asked when I had DD, but someone (my mom I think) commented on how much hair she had so I ended up screaming for a mirror so I could see. I will just start out with saying yes this time. But I probably won't wanna feel lol

#1, 4, 5, 7
April 10th, 2013, 03:53 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No and no

April 10th, 2013, 04:23 PM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I could never watch. I would feel the head and I think I might have with DS2 but I have no desire to or anything.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
April 10th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Super Mommy
No thank you to both.
April 10th, 2013, 05:31 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I used a mirror with my first. It was actually cool to see and helped a lot. My epidural was so strong that I couldn't feel what I was doing, but seeing the progress in a mirror when I pushed correctly was great. There wasn't time for mirrors the second time, and I was afraid of feeling for a head when I was in labor. I kinda knew she was crowning before we got to the hospital and I wanted to stay in denial.
April 10th, 2013, 05:32 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Im kinda disappointed I wasnt facing our mirrored closet when Everett was born. I have pictures of both David and Everett coming out though non of Katelynn because my friend wasnt ready for her to be born I want to pull her up for sure with Kyle not sure if I will feel or have a mirror though it just depends.

April 10th, 2013, 06:35 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No mirror, but if it's an option, I might want to feel the head. Who knows.

April 10th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL! When I was expecting Alex I was dead set against the mirror because EEEEW. But when it came time to push I remember feeling like a cloud settled over me (it also kept me from kicking out my WHOLE FAMILY who all decided they wanted to stay and watch. I just wanted my Mom and DH to stay originally, lol).

I was definitely out of it. Anyway, after a few pushes my Mom started screaming that the head was almost out and I was feeling tired and I spontaneously announced that I wanted to see. They wheeled in the mirror and during a push I looked and saw that you could see the tip of my son's head but nothing else. I definitely had a bit go before the head was actually out. I remember feeling so discouraged that I just sat back during an entire contraction and tried telling people that I was just too tired and could they come back later? LOL It's just so insane going through all of that and feeling like "You know, I just really don't want to do this right now."

Lately I've been giving serious thought to asking if i could pull this one out once the shoulders were out. I keep going back and forth. On the one hand I keep imagining it and getting all teary eyed and on the other I have no idea what I will be feeling/going through and I wouldn't want to drop the baby or panic or be too out of it. I'll discuss it with my midwife but I probably won't know until I'm actually there, lol.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 10th, 2013, 07:51 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No thank you to both. I have been asked with both kids and have pleasantly declined both times. I'm completely supportive of people who are into that but neither of those things do anything for me.

April 10th, 2013, 09:44 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No way. Eww to both.

April 10th, 2013, 10:21 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Well considering we are doing a unassisted homebirth, yes

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

April 11th, 2013, 05:18 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
Absolutely 100% HELL NO
i do not want to see what's going on down there
i know whats happening
do not
need to see it in all its glory

April 11th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No to the mirror, I don't really want to see that.

With DD I had a water birth at home with midwives, and no one said anything about mirrors or touching, but I reached my hand down anyways to feel because it kind of seemed like the natural thing to do. Then I got freaked out and I was convinced she was going back in - I was reeaaaaalllly out of it by that time, I hadn't slept in nearly 3 days. Now, obviously I realized after the fact that she was not going back in, but I was convinced of it at the time, and I kept crying hysterically that she was going back in and she was never going to come out...and everyone laughed! I remember being really upset about that. I even slapped at the midwife's hand several times when she tried to help out.

So even if someone offers to let me touch this time, I probably won't. It just freaks me out.

April 11th, 2013, 07:18 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I tried to use a mirror with #2 but there were people standing there and it kind of blocked the view and I couldn't really see anything except the midwife! I have never tried touching. I am not sure if I will do that, but I am open to the idea.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search