How long do you plan to breastfeed?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2013, 06:56 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Being a FTM, I have no idea. I've gone back and forth about exclusively pumping, but at the same time, I'll have to be home for a certain number of weeks before going back to work anyway, so I might try bf-ing until I go back to work, then exclusively pumping. If it all works out, I'll probably try for a year. We'll see though. All the women in my family have had issues with breast feeding, including pumping so I don't really have a lot of support or experience to draw from.

April 12th, 2013, 07:16 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
The last five kids were bf'ed until 2 1/2 to 3 years old.. generally until the next pregnancy made nursing too uncomfortable! This one will probably nurse about as long as well.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 12th, 2013, 07:32 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At least a year, but I will have to pump when I go back to work. I made it 10 months with Bourne and totally stressed myself out over breastfeeding, supply etc. I was traveling a lot with my job at the time and it just got to be too much with the pump, storage, airports etc. so I weaned at 10 months.

In hindsight, I wish I had supplemented when I needed to with formula and continued to breastfeed, but I didn't. It was an all or nothing mentality for me.
April 12th, 2013, 07:33 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I am planning on 1-2 yrs. I bf'd my other 2 kids for about 2 yrs, and it seemed like a natural time for us to stop at that point. I didn't work, so I didn't use bottles or pumping then, but I am considering it this time since I will have to take my kids places, school events, etc. and I am pretty sure they would be embarrassed if I was bf'ing at their schools! (They are in middle and high school)

April 12th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Before I was pregnant I said 6 months because I honestly wasn't thinking it through at all, lol.

Then I got pregnant and actually read something about it and decided a year. Then at a year I fell asleep while nursing (not the first time, lol), woke up, and saw i was nursing a 17 month old...and was pregnant lol.

I plan on nursing until 2. I would have nursed Alex until 2 but pregnancy hormones killed my supply and made his latching very painful.

I am very much looking forward to doing this without having to pump. I will pump to help supply and to have a small stash for when I need a break but it won't be anywhere near the amount that I did it with Alex.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 12th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I plan to go off his lead. I was bummed when Hailey weaned at 13 months but it was mostly because of the pg. I hope to go at least a year. I 99% boob feed but do pump too.

April 12th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Veteran
omg! I feel I am definitely the minority here. I don't personally know anyone around me who has breastfed like that so I wanna applaud all of you! I only breastfed my daughter for the first 6 weeks, before I had to go back to work. I did some pumping but ended up supplementing with formula and fully switching over because of how busy I was. I also went back to finish university and it was just all a lot. I will also be going back to work after my son Logan gets here so... I don't really know. I also want to get back to university for a third degree, so I guess I will play it by ear.
April 14th, 2013, 08:27 AM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
I plan on BFing for at least a year. Madison was 19 months when she weaned so we'll see.

April 14th, 2013, 10:11 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will pump exclusively and feed him my breast milk until 18 months if my body let's me go that long. Thanks to biology breast feeding just doesn't happen for me. I managed to give DD my breast milk for 8 weeks and had to supplement but was using a cheap pump. I am hopeful it goes better this time.
As it was DD was weaned off the bottle at 15/16 months. So I can't imagine going much further past that for lil man even if its my breast milk. I have always been weirded out by my SIL who breast feeds til they are like 3 and 4.

April 14th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Rochelle
Somewhere in the 18-24 month range depending on the child's personality and development.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search