Must have baby care items

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama
  • 1 Post By cheerfulsunrise
  • 2 Post By ashleykathleen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2013, 08:57 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
What are some of the less obvious items that are good to have on hand for our newborns?
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

April 12th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Come on, I need answers!!
April 12th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hard to say! I'm trying to think of non-traditional things that were useful to me for caring for an infant/newborn. I think most of my ingenuity revolved around making or adapting already on hand things to serve a similar purpose to things I could buy. For instance, I sewed a long towel in half and left the top open to fit over my pack n' play mattress as a baby vomit barrier that wouldn't bunch up around the baby's head.

I used a sturdy laundry basket with a firm tempur pedic pillow stuffed at the bottom as a DIY moses basket. Once he could start wiggling around I discontinued its use but it sure was handy during the first month or two when I wanted to eat or just needed a space break, lol.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 12th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My fav toy that I would have never though of are these Target.com : Furniture, Baby, Electronics, Toys
They are a must have...multi purpose...teething...secure toys to about anything.

A change of clothes or 3 for the baby is usually a given but an extra outfit for yourself is a MUST and something I never thought of!!
Kim3 likes this.

April 12th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I said it in the diaper bag thread awhile ago, but I'll say it again. Hand sanitizer!

April 12th, 2013, 11:20 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since I exclusively pumped, the one thing we wouldn't have survived without was the Tommee Tippee travel bottle warmer. DD would not take a cold bottle... ever. So the warmer holds boiling water and kept it that hot for many hours. You pour the water into the giant lid and sit the bottle in until it's warm. We don't know what we would have done without it.
MamaSkunk likes this.

April 12th, 2013, 12:48 PM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
One thing that suprised me when I had my first baby was how often he spit up on or pooped on things and I needed to change his clothes and/or bib, so I would say having more onesies or outfits and bibs than you think you may need is a very good idea, b/c baby may go through 6 outfits in one day!
zkat likes this.

April 12th, 2013, 10:07 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
An awesome booger sucker! Nothing is more frustrating that trying to help a little baby breath better at 3 in the morning and it not working

I really liked this one

Amazon.com: Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator: Baby

April 13th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Vasoline for a boy.

April 13th, 2013, 09:03 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
For Everett swaddlemes and a wombie were a must. I can't swaddle to save my life, and he loved being swaddled so these saved my life.

April 13th, 2013, 09:27 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I learned with Kiefer that the "cloth diapers" they sell at Walmart make excellent burp rags. He had reflux and would projectile vomit instead of just a normal amount of spit up. Those things absorb soooooo much more than regular burp rags.
rcjh12 and zombiemommy like this.

April 13th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.June2013 View Post
An awesome booger sucker! Nothing is more frustrating that trying to help a little baby breath better at 3 in the morning and it not working

I really liked this one

Amazon.com: Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator: Baby
Oooh yes! We didn't do this aspirator, we preferred using the blue bulb you get from the hospital. HOWEVER, if you use the blue bulb I HIGHLY recommend that you purchase the saline misting spray things you can find at your grocery store in the infant aisle. You put the whole nozzle in the baby's nose and spray for a few seconds before sucking it all back out. Once we started doing this suck outs went much more smoothly and less traumatically than squeezing saline water in (heeeelllo waterboarding!).

And getting multiple packs of the connecting plastic rings is also nice. I got several packages of these and figured I'd never use even half of them. I was very wrong. We use them to keep lamps upright, attach all sorts of toys, create drying lines, etc.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 13th, 2013, 12:07 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim3 View Post
Vaseline for a boy.
this but make sure its in a squeezy tube, makes it much easier (this is only if you're getting him circumcised)

we used the gerber cloth diapers sold at target as burp clothes
absorbed so much better than the crappy ones they sell as burp clothes (the puke just rolled off)

April 13th, 2013, 02:30 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
For Everett swaddlemes and a wombie were a must. I can't swaddle to save my life, and he loved being swaddled so these saved my life.
Yes! Swaddle blankets are awesome. I also agree that a change of clothes for you is a necessity with a reflux baby. I also learned a good technique for nursing on the go- I'd nurse in the car before going into a store and then quickly get out of the car to burp her. She'd projectile puke in the parking lot, saving the burp cloths I had in the diaper bag for just a little extra dribbles that came later. Oh the things you learn...
April 14th, 2013, 10:43 AM
lalap's Avatar Super Teacher
Great question. I need the answers too!
April 14th, 2013, 06:10 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We loved the lightweight long sleeve onsies with the mitten cuffs on them!
April 15th, 2013, 10:33 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Gowns! for boys and for girls! quick changes in the middle of the night!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search