Parenting Dilemma!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 2 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, we are celebrating Alex's birthday May 11th with friends and family. His actual birthday is May 17th but I want to play it safe considering my due date is May 30th. On May 17th we planned on doing a small family thing like go to Chuck E Cheese or something similar. HOWEVER May 17th is also parent's night out at his day care (630pm until midnight and the last one before this new baby's arrival) AAAND May 17th is when the new Star Trek movie is coming out. :| How absolutely awful would it be to do our small family thing on May 18th and put Alex in with a babysitter on his actual birthday? Are there are pizza slices, ice cream scoops, and ball pits enough in the world to make up for doing that to him?

I feel so conflicted because it would also be nice to have one last "date" with DH before our lives go completely crazy again. My maternity leave (and technically my "resignation", lol) begins May 17th, too. So, I won't be working anymore before the new baby arrives.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 13th, 2013, 11:25 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think it's bad! He won't technically "know" really and you can have the next day be all about him!

My daughter had a big family party, a big friend party too. On her actual birthday we ended up dragging her around doing errands because it was the only day we had to get a few things done. We did take her out to lunch and she got to spend a gift card, I felt guilty but she had two awesome parties just not on the actual day.

April 13th, 2013, 02:25 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
It's not that bad. My DH went out of town on a guys weekend trip on our oldest DD's birthday this year. We did her party a week later because of it.
April 13th, 2013, 03:26 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I could live with myself if I had DD be with a sitter on her bday to go see a movie. I'd feel too guilty and I'd feel completely awful so I wouldn't enjoy myself but that's me. We usually do DDs party on the nearest weekend but always spend the day with her just her, me and DH. If it was me I'd skip the movie and go a different day.

April 13th, 2013, 05:22 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
I don't think I could live with myself if I had DD be with a sitter on her bday to go see a movie. I'd feel too guilty and I'd feel completely awful so I wouldn't enjoy myself but that's me. We usually do DDs party on the nearest weekend but always spend the day with her just her, me and DH. If it was me I'd skip the movie and go a different day.
This, for me. I love birthdays (which is funny bc mine almost always suck) and I have to make a huge deal out of them. We do DD's bday on the closest weekend and then do something special for her just our family on the actual day. I think a lot about what I want my kids to remember about me when they're all grown up and parents themselves and one thing I always want them to say is that mom always made their birthdays special. That's just how I am.

April 13th, 2013, 07:21 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If he were old enough to get the whole birthday thing I would say don't do it...but in all honesty, he's 2. He has no idea the difference between the 17th and the 18th. Not only that, he has no idea why he's getting all this attention and presents anyway. I say go for it. Birthdays are a big deal to me but just because its not on the actual day doesn't make it any less of a big deal...it's probably one of the last times you could ever get away with it anyway!

April 13th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I could do it however everyone is different. Go with your gut...

April 14th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
A 2 year old would not know the difference if you just told him Sunday was his day. That said I personally would not go. I once had to travel the day before my son's birthday for work. I pulled every trick to get a late flight hime the same day (yes, flew to a deposition and returned the same day). I had to fly into a different airport. DH had to drive nearly 2 hours one way to get me late at night. That said I was there in the morning when when eyes opened. Not sure he appreciated all the work. I did though.

April 14th, 2013, 05:42 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We probably wouldn't do it in our house. Occasionally our local 1/2 - full marathon falls on B's birthday and I couldn't leave him to run it.
April 14th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I personally would not send him to the daycare on his birthday. I would want to make his day extra special since its the last big event before baby arrives. We were invited to a Halloween party the same night as my daughters 1st birthday party and I was so torn about going since I didn't want her to feel like her day wasn't special enough for mom and dad to stay around but we went and didn't stay long at all. It wasn't on her actual birthday though or else I would have not gone at all. That is just me though. I understand wanting a night out just you and the hubby before baby comes but can you do that a different night and just get a sitter so you can take him out to celebrate his birthday on the actual day?

April 14th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've thought about it a lot and I've decided that we're going to go to the movies. I already work part-time and will have spent over half the day with him already (Alex only goes to daycare 1 day out of the week). DH watches Alex when I go to work so will have 5 hours of together time under his belt with him. I won't get home from work that night until 7 (only 2 hours before his bedtime). That day is also my last day of work so those 2 weeks before my due date are going to be all about him anyway.

Alex will have a big birthday bash the weekend before, at day care (the day he goes normally), and then on the 18th with just us. So that's 3 parties. Doing it on Saturday instead of Friday means we can go to the Zoo, parks, and other fun places instead of just rushing to eat dinner and maybe playing for a bit before he crashes.

This kid is going to have loads of special moments and birthday insanity the weekend before, during the week at school, and then the weekend following. Skipping 2 hours of fun time on his actual birthday in favor of spending a whole day doing birthday things the next day sounds better.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search