anyone not getting a baby shower?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2013, 03:37 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't want to feel like the only one. My mom doesnt believe in having a shower if you have the same gender child. My church is doing a diaper drive and then giving me whatever diapers they get in the next couple weeks. On top of that no one else planning a shower. Dh and I planning on hosting our own and doing a couples shower.

April 14th, 2013, 03:51 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I'm not either. Although we're having a girl this time, we literally need nothing except the nursery bedding and decor. I might have had a "sprinkle" but with moving out of state and I don't really have anyone to invite here, it's not gonna happen. My Mom said some women she works with want to get me something, so I may get some gift cards from friends or family, but that's about it!

April 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Super Mommy
nope. i thought my mom was going to plan a diaper party at least but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen :-\
April 14th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not having one. I could definitely use one since I'm having a child of a different gender, and in the 5 years since DD was born we've moved and sold every single thing. But no one has offered or even asked me if I'm having one, so I guess not.

April 14th, 2013, 04:39 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I dont think I am having being #4 and all but who knows.

April 14th, 2013, 05:02 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not having one either. We have a lot of the stuff we need and we've bought a lot of the rest. My parents bought us a crib and my aunt, uncle, & grandpa bought our crib bedding, and some family have bought a few new outfits. Other than that, it's all us. I'm ok with it. I was really uncomfortable at both of the bridal showers I had and at my baby shower. I appreciated it, but I am not someone who is comfortable being the center of attention and it is awkward for me to sit with a group of people opening gifts. I am actually kind of glad no one is throwing us one this time.
edgeofelise likes this.

April 14th, 2013, 05:39 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Nope not us..

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

April 14th, 2013, 05:44 PM
All we have are clothes, baby tub, monitor, carrier and bath products. Nothing else.....and because my son is going on 7 and my ex husband's new gf threw out all the baby stuff I kept I can't get those back so I'm stressing out.

April 14th, 2013, 06:14 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
my mother in law was going to throw one because they do that on their side of the family (mine for the second and so forth dont throw one)
she even sent out invites but then bailed
sucks
i was really looking forward to it

April 14th, 2013, 06:28 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilachu View Post
my mother in law was going to throw one because they do that on their side of the family (mine for the second and so forth dont throw one)
she even sent out invites but then bailed
sucks
i was really looking forward to it
Wow that is rude!

April 14th, 2013, 06:53 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope. I don't really want one and I told my mom and sister I didn't. I would like a "sprinkle" to celebrate just with immediate family but not a shower. We thought we had a lot of stuff saved up from my dd (she is 5) but after looking through stuff that has been stored in the basement, some of it is just ruined from sitting down there.

April 14th, 2013, 08:33 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope. I thought I was going to have one thrown for me but not unless I planned everything and did it myself. And if one was thrown it'd have to be at my house due to the weather. And if it was at my home I would feel obligated to play the hostess not the guest of honor. I'm pretty bummed about it actually cuz I was away from my friends and family living states away when preg with DD. So I had no shower then either. We have most of the big stuff but we still need like diapers and alot of the little odds and ends. We have had to buy everything again cuz we bought pink and girly everything with DD and that wont do for a boy.

April 14th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope. At this point I would be happy to exchange the idea of a shower for family announcing how they plan on helping with after the birth. Right now the different factions of our family are bickering over who will take care of Alex while I'm in the hospital. All of them assume that they'll be the ones to do it. I'd rather he not bounce between homes. I also would like to know who would be coming over to help with him when I'll still be recovering and unable to move out of bed much. But no one has said anything. If it doesn't directly involve holding/playing with a baby nobody thinks to offer anything :\

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 15th, 2013, 06:42 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Nope, nada. I had a Very small one with my first and no one here throws a second shower. We need everything since this was a surprise and I literally got rid of everything. We are waiting until she can come home and we'll know what size she needs.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
April 15th, 2013, 06:58 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope =( Where we are from it's really frowned upon to have another shower. BUT in your situation you totally would get one. They do not give showers for parents that have already had a child but your DH is different for this one so that totally qualifies you for a child regardless of sex of previous baby. Is this his first child as well? I'm surprised his side hasn't stepped up to try and do it. I'd be annoyed.

Everything is all about weird traditions and etiquettes that vary so much from region to region. It's a pain in the butt and most times people never know what is okay or when to offer things.

April 15th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
We aren't having one either. This is #3 and even though its a boy this time we don't really need much and I feel like no one would really show up since its #3.

April 15th, 2013, 07:29 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I am not having a shower either. My work friends asked me if I wanted one and I said no, b/c I'm not really a party person and also don't know a lot of people here (no family here, etc) and I would feel dumb inviting the very few people I know! My work friends felt very compelled to throw me a party though, so I think we are actually going to have a get together, but it will be more of a going away (I am quitting after baby comes) and families/spouses will be invited, so it won't be a real "baby shower".

April 15th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not having one again. I did with both my boys. We don't need much, I did a lot of bargain shopping off craigslist since day one. I'm sure the family will have picked up a few clothing items, but other than that, im not expecting anything.

I wouldn't want a fancy video monitor though LOL

April 15th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomsgrl11 View Post
Nope =( Where we are from it's really frowned upon to have another shower. BUT in your situation you totally would get one. They do not give showers for parents that have already had a child but your DH is different for this one so that totally qualifies you for a child regardless of sex of previous baby. Is this his first child as well? I'm surprised his side hasn't stepped up to try and do it. I'd be annoyed.

Everything is all about weird traditions and etiquettes that vary so much from region to region. It's a pain in the butt and most times people never know what is okay or when to offer things.
Well I found out his mom is putting together one at work because we work together. My mother said something about throwing one at my house for church, family and friends since the church opted not to throw one but she's making a big deal over who's doing food, Decor, Etc...at this rate we may do one ourselves because we need everything. Yes this is dh's fist baby.

April 15th, 2013, 07:47 PM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
Nope and I'm truthfully kind of pissed. We threw one for a friend last year for her second ( 8 years apart like me) I feel like I'm always planning or attending stuff for people. Anyway, no shower for me and I have nothing

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search