Need advice!!!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By AKlobnak
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By eshute
  • 1 Post By AKlobnak

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Expecting #1 July 2013 <3
Hey Ladies!
So kind of a long story but my husband and i just bought our first home about a month ago in a small town in Iowa.... my job is about a 45-50 min drive away in the city in a busy psychiatry office that does not pay hardly anything and with the drive and my hours I leave at 645 am and dont get home until about 6pm :/ so after some thinking I thought what the heck and I applied for a job here in town about 5min from my house making about the same an hour.... Well, when I went in to turn in my application I actually got a chance to talk to the doctor I would be working for buuuut I dont think he realized I' am pregnant because there was a counter in between us. So this afternoon I got a call from him wanting to set up an interview, I go in tomorrow morning and I' am SO NERVOUS it' s not like I can really hide it anymore.... This job would be PERFECT the hours are amazing and like I said it' s only about 5 min from my house. What I' am worried about is the fact that i' am so far along now and they are a small clinic they wont hire me because of maternity leave and I wont qualify for FMLA or short term disability however, Iowa does offer a pregnancy leave law that requires employers to give employees 6-8 weeks of job protected leave but it does not mean it will be paid.

http://www.iowaworkforce.org/faq/afm...q.asp?faqid=57

What would you ladies do? is it even worth going in for the interview? Go in and be honest and see what they say?

April 16th, 2013, 11:35 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would go and just be honest. Maybe they want to wait to hire you in the fall. The worst thing is they say no, right? Good luck!

April 16th, 2013, 11:50 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would go in and be honest. The worst they can say is no...but I would definitely want to switch and get rid of such a long commute.

April 16th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I say go in for the interview. You never know how it will turn out. It's worth the shot, and if you don't go, you'll always wonder "what if..."

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would go and just be completely forthright. I think you have the option when you already have a job. I would tell him that I am "x" weeks pregnant. I would then state that I would love to work for the location and would it be possible to start post leave. Reality is that you will be full term in 8 weeks. It would be hard to give your other job 2 weeks notice. You would then work for 6 weeks (or longer) and then be out again.

JMO - The law protects you. You want a good long term relationship though. Place yourself in your employer's shoes. Would you want to train someone for them to be out for 6-8 weeks. If you show sensitivity to the employer they are likely to appreciate it. Working at 38 weeks pg is not your most productive. You want to give a great first start. Therefore I would try to start after giving birth to your child.

April 16th, 2013, 03:48 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
i would go
its illegal for them to discriminate against you because you are pregnant
just make sure you are up front with them

April 16th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Go for it!! The worst they can say is no. What part of Iowa are u in? I also live in a small town in Iowa 1/2 way between iowa city and quad cities

April 16th, 2013, 06:57 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would go and be totally up front. Like others said, the worst they can do it say no. I agree it may be better all around to start after your maternity leave tho. It would probably be easier for everyone. Your current employer will already be expecting you to be gone on leave when your baby is born and it will probably be easier for you and a new employer to not have what amounts to 2 getting to know you periods. I hope it works out! Sounds like it would be much better for you, especially when you have a little one at home.

April 18th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks everybody for all the tips and advice!

I ended up going to the interview which went REALLY good and..... I GOT THE JOB!!!! I start on May 6th, it will be interesting starting a new job at 32 weeks pregnant lol but it is about a 2 min drive from my house, I' am SO EXCITED!
mommyandwife08 and MamaSkunk like this.

April 18th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations. What a good employer. At 30 weeks I am sure your pg is noticable to the naked eye. The employer must really want you for this position. Good luck.
AKlobnak likes this.

April 18th, 2013, 01:26 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Congrats! I hope it's a smooth transition!
AKlobnak likes this.

April 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!
AKlobnak likes this.

April 18th, 2013, 04:10 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! So I am curious, did you talk about the pregnancy and how that would work for your maternity leave? They must not have been bothered by it! Yay!

April 19th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!!!

April 19th, 2013, 08:07 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!

April 19th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy220 View Post
Congrats! So I am curious, did you talk about the pregnancy and how that would work for your maternity leave? They must not have been bothered by it! Yay!
One of my interview questions he had written on his sheet was "So, when are you due?" Lol The doctor is AWESOME and did not have a problem with me taking time off at all, he said he would just have his wife cover for me and to take as long as I need
crawmommy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search