Labor positions

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By PurpleStar
  • 1 Post By edgeofelise
  • 1 Post By SassySami
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By cheerfulsunrise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 11:35 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For our BTDT mamas...what positions did you labor in? What position did you find that worked best?
With DD I was pretty much stuck in the hospital bed on my back due to being on pit and monitors. I plan on laboring as much at home as I can this time so I'd like to move around and try different laboring positions.

April 17th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I tried to walk around for a bit and sit on my ball, get in the tub but was stuck in the bed most of the time on my back with an internal monitor bc the regular monitor would not stay on and bc they gave me Pitocin. This time I do not want Pitocin and I want to hang out in the awesome whirlpool baths as much as possible
MamaSkunk likes this.

April 17th, 2013, 12:36 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Each of my hospital births I was confined to bed. At home, I move around a lot. This last one I walked a lot, stopping to lean forward over counters or furniture during cx. Birthed her kneeling on the floor and leaning over the foot of our bed. Baby before that, I mostly labored on the toilet... was so darn comfy there, only got up because DH finally convinced me not to have the baby on the toilet! Moved to bedroom and half-squatted, half-kneeled on the floor for delivery. Baby before that, first birth at home, I was all over the place; tried the tub, the shower, the bed, the yard... knelt on the floor to push him out.
MamaSkunk likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 17th, 2013, 01:36 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
With David and Katelynn I was in the bed for the most part. Katelynn was born shortly after arriving so that doesn't count. Everett I spent most of my labor on my hands and knees in the shower. I ended up delivering him on the floor on my back. My body just kinda went that way.
MamaSkunk likes this.

April 17th, 2013, 01:58 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar March 2015 DDC Co-Host
With DS, ditto with stuck on my back in bed. I tried getting into other positions but they always shut me down. I do remember though squatting and sitting on the toilet relieved so much pressure and made things feel a million times better.

If I go to Oahu, the hospital I would go to is very mother/labor friendly and has shower/tubs to labor in, a bed that changes into various positions, and other tools to help labor along.
MamaSkunk likes this.

April 17th, 2013, 02:57 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For my attempted homebirth I was most comfortable kneeling over the birth ball or lying on my left side because it was so long and I was exhausted. We tried the birth stool, squats, laboring in the tub, rocking chair, leaning over furniture, you name it. I spent the majority of the second day in bed on my side because it gave me a break between ctx and I desperately needed the rest. This time I hope to spend as much of early labor nas I can just napping, lounging in the tub, etc instead of jumping the gun and burning out too quickly. I hope to conserve my energy and actually make it to active labor before going to the hospital. I'm also hoping to keep it as intervention-free as possible to I can move around more. By the time I transferred to the hospital last time I was just completely spent and asked for an epidural, so I spent the entire time in bed and didn't get past 6cm.
MamaSkunk likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

April 17th, 2013, 07:19 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I was in a tub on my butt, when I delivered Nolan.
MamaSkunk likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

April 18th, 2013, 04:25 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
With Lily I had an epidural and monitors so I was confined to the bed. With Abri I spent a lot of the labor on the toilet. It sounds weird but it just felt better. The rest of the time I was in the shower before heading to the hospital. Once I was there I just laid in the bed in my back to push her out, but I insisted on keeping my legs straight instead of the usual knees up to chin. It was the most comfy for me
MamaSkunk likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 08:45 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
My first labor was induced with lots of monitors, etc so I had no choice of position.. but my 2nd labor was better. i stayed home for as long as I thought possible. At home I took a shower and bath, and sat on my exercise ball. Once at the hospital I took a shower and sat in a chair, can't remember anything else I do remember when I first got there, and the staff had to go through triage with me to see if I was actually in labor, I was lying in the triage bed, with monitors, etc and I started thinking "I can't do this!!" but once they confirmed that I was actually in labor and I could get up again, things were so much better. For me, laying down is the worst and made the pain so much worse.
MamaSkunk likes this.
DS: '98, DD: '00, DD: '13, & TTC #4

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search