CD stash- enough?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 07:04 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I ordered everything I think we're going to need, but I wanted to check with some of you seasoned CD moms. We are going with an AI2 system. I have or have ordered:

13 shells
6 microfiber inserts
18 bamboo inserts
6 microfiber minis (doublers)
24 bamboo minis (doublers)

The minis are supposed to be all that goes in at first bc the full sized inserts are too big when the diaper is tiny for the first couple of months. Then they work as doublers for extra absorption along with the full sized inserts. I'm thinking that I may need to get some more full sized inserts later on, depending on how often I want to do laundry. Thoughts?

April 17th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Rochelle
I wish I could help but I've only ever done prefolds. But YAY for adding to your stash!
April 18th, 2013, 03:57 AM
lalap's Avatar Super Teacher
What brands? By shells do you mean like pocket diapers or just plain covers? I only have about 20 diapers total. thats a pretty small stash by most people's standards, but I'm taking a "wait and see" approach for the time being. If I find I need more, I'll just order more and supplement with disposables until they come in. Or just wash daily until they come in. I have mostly alva baby newborns (pocket diapers) for daytime and some converted prefold fitteds with covers for nighttime.
April 18th, 2013, 05:34 PM
By shell, I suppose I mean cover. They are AI2s-Softbums- so the insert snaps in so you can use the shell more than once a day. A lot of the reviews I read said that people could often use only 2-4 shells per day and just change the inserts each time. The big inserts cover the inside of the diaper when it is at a larger size. The minis cover it when the diaper is tiny. But since the shells can be reused during the day, I thought 13 might last at least a couple of days. I just don't know.

April 19th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm no expert but from what you said if the shells you can reused like a prefold she'll then 13 shells and 30 inserts sounds good. if you wash every 2 days that is 6ish shells daily...and 15 inserts. One question would be do most mamas just use 1 insert at a time or does it require more inserts per change? If so you may need a few more but I would wait and see I guess if your baby is a peeing machine first.

April 19th, 2013, 08:42 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
That should be a good starting point. I am more in the camp of a ton because I cant stop buying them

April 19th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawmommy View Post
I'm no expert but from what you said if the shells you can reused like a prefold she'll then 13 shells and 30 inserts sounds good. if you wash every 2 days that is 6ish shells daily...and 15 inserts. One question would be do most mamas just use 1 insert at a time or does it require more inserts per change? If so you may need a few more but I would wait and see I guess if your baby is a peeing machine first.
From what it looks like, people use one big insert per change and use the minis in addition, if needed. Everything I ordered just arrived and the big bamboo inserts are HUGE. I can't imagine trying to fit more than one in a diaper. They fold over themselves so you can fold up extra absorption underneath for girls or in front for boys. I though that was kind of cool. I do only have 18 in the bamboo and 6 in the microfiber. I think I like the bamboo better. They are trimmer, but reportedly hold more liquid. I just checked out a new local baby store that has all kinds of CD stuff nearby. Maybe I will go there and buy more of the larger bamboo inserts when the baby gets that size if you think I need 30. I know you know a lot more about this than I do. Since they are too big for using with a newborn baby, I will wait on that for the moment, but keep it in mind. Thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search