OT: My poor cat

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My poor Molly got sick this week, and is so often the case with cats, by the time we took her to the vet today, there was nothing that could be done. My family is devastated at the loss of our sweet little companion. She was there with me when I moved out on my own for the first time, she was a caring mama-cat that Fiona grew up with, she was quirky and silly and so full of personality. I'm so, so sad that she's gone. We can take comfort in the fact that she was well loved and lived a happy life, and I know that she loved us in return.

April 19th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Super Mommy
Aw i'm sorry i know how difficult it is to lose a pet :-/
April 19th, 2013, 04:05 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm tearing up right now. I'm so sorry! The cat that had been in my family for 14 years had to be put to sleep a couple months ago. She also became suddenly ill. I cried for days and days even though she hadn't lived with me since I went to college. She was still MY baby. Being pregnant on top of it surely does not help. I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like she had a wonderful life with you.

April 19th, 2013, 05:10 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm really sorry to hear about this . One of the survival instincts cats retain from the wild is hiding the fact that they are injured or ill. All too often in my line of work, we have sick kitties come in and it is already too late to do anything. Always breaks my heart.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

April 19th, 2013, 07:07 PM
lalap's Avatar Super Teacher
I'm a cat lover through and through. So sorry to hear about your loss. It's always a struggle to lose one of our fur babies. However, we can take comfort knowing that we gave them the best life we could. Their lives are so short, but they bring us so much love and joy.
April 19th, 2013, 11:34 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Oh Hun I am so sorry. Something similar happened to my childhood cat. She stopped eating and the side of her face got huge. We took her to the vet and she had jaw cancer. I was heartbroken but couldn't put her down that day, I just wasn't ready. We took her home with some meds to make her comfortable she ran away and passed away a few days later. Huge hugs Hun!

April 20th, 2013, 04:51 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry for your loss.

April 20th, 2013, 06:14 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww I'm sorry to hear about your kitty

April 20th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm having such a hard time with this. Other than my parents and my siblings, my cat was the longest relationship of my life. I loved her like family. Her death was so sudden, and I was so unprepared. I'm completely devastated, and all these pregnancy hormones aren't helping. If I wasn't so hormonal, I'd probably be able to suck it up and put on a happy face even though I'm grieving. I have no appetite, I have no desire to do anything but lay in bed. Even so, I've managed to do laundry, make a giant pot of chicken stock, do an art project for the nursery, and cleaned up and organized the nursery. I think I've managed quite a lot today, all things considered. Between all that I've been laying in bed crying.

We're currently having our weekly family night - dinner, card games, etc. I wandered downstairs about half an hour before dinner. I've been avoiding everyone all day, so of course the first thing my step-mother did was start talking to me about how nice a cat Molly was, and how heart disease is so common in cats, and on and on. It was exactly what I've been trying to avoid all day. I'm having a hard enough time without having to talk about it. So, I was really trying not to get upset. My grandmother (who I've mentioned before is just an awful person) comes over to me and tells me to get it together and stop acting so **** mopey. She told me I'm setting a terrible example for my daughter and I'm acting pathetic. Awkward silence while I choke back tears. My step mum tries to laugh it off and tells me to keep my chin up, and my brother changed the subject. I excused myself and managed to make it to my room before bursting into tears. But of course you can hear every thing in this crappy house, so everyone knew I was upstairs sobbing about the cat AGAIN. To his credit, my husband stood up for me and told my Grandmum to leave me alone and not to talk to me anymore since she never has anything nice to say to me. He brought a plate of food upstairs for me, but I'm not hungry.

I'm sad and I'm hurting, and my grandmother is so mean. We put Molly to sleep last night. Give me a couple of days, for crying out loud.

April 20th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was pregnant with Alex we rescued/adopted an elderly cat. This cat was actually one that I rescued off the street when it was a young kitten. We gave her to a family friend. Well, as time went on the kids who were taking care of the cat and its playmate moved away and weren't interested in taking the cats with them. The owner of the cats never played with them or maintained their health or anything. One of the cats died and the owner kept saying how she looked forward to coming home to find the other one dead as well.

It was horrifying to hear. I kept offering to adopt the cat but her pride prevented her from giving me the cat. I sorta strong armed her over the course of a few weeks and guilt tripped her pretty hard. All said and done this cat was severely neglected. Horrible tangles (she was a long hair) she had teeth falling out of her mouth from unchecked periodontal issues, liver issues, etc. Stuff that if she had been taken care of properly before would have been cleared up but because they went unchecked for so long they all took their toll on her.

Eventually after a few months she couldn't walk on her hind legs anymore and she began to poop blood. It was time to put her down.

It was absolutely horrible driving her to the vet in the middle of the night to have her put down. I insisted on being with her because I thought I owed it to her to have a friendly face looking at her and telling her how much she was loved.

It took weeks for me to stop sobbing. I'm even crying now just thinking about it. Every day I came home and cried. Pregnancy heightens your emotions (you wear your heart on your sleeve, honestly) but that doesn't make your feelings less valid or intense. You loved your cat and you are honoring her memory by grieving for what you miss; her companionship.

It is actually beneficial for your daughter to see how to grieve and mourn. It's awful to think about it but someday your daughter will need to know how to do it as well and it will be good for her to know that it's okay to cry or to make some alone time during your day.

And just in case you are worrying about it: Your crying will NOT affect your unborn baby. He/she has noooo clue what is going on. Just make sure to eat and drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search