Cloth diaper drama....

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2013, 05:36 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
So my husband tells me the other day that my mom looked at him with her hands on her hips and asked him "how long is this really going to last?" in a very sarcastic tone. And when he asked her what she was talking about she said "the cloth diapers!"

I am a little frustrated by this! I guess my family thinks i am crazy for cloth diapering and my mom has lots to say about when i should begin (like she says i am not going to cloth diaper for the first few weeks after the baby is born because they go through too many diapers...)

I am aggravated because it seems that everyone always has an opinion on what i should do...ugh.

Anyone else meet any resistance when they first started cloth diapering?!

April 20th, 2013, 06:02 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
My mom kinda joked that I won't stick with it, and my DH grumbles about how he won't be changing diapers but no one is overly serious in their teasing. And even if they were? Psh, I'll be changing 99.999999% of the diapers, I'm sure, so oh well if they don't like it
overlinmommy17 likes this.
April 20th, 2013, 06:06 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Yes! My mom said I was being silly. And made fun of me. Almost 3 CD kids later she is still making fun of me, its really starting to get old.

April 20th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Everyone in my family stared at me and said "I never thought that YOU'D be the type to cloth diaper" whatever that means. My brother keeps calling me "hippie" in an insulting way.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 20th, 2013, 07:02 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
screw them?? your baby not theirs, I'm on my 4th cloth diapered!
overlinmommy17 and Steph625 like this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

April 20th, 2013, 07:40 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
My DF's brother's co-worker was giving us un-solicited advice on stocking up on disposables, and I mentioned that we were CDing. He laughed in our faces and said "yeah, good luck with that..."

April 20th, 2013, 07:46 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I got it too and then when we said we spent only $400 in diapers from birth to potty training they stopped making fun of me. My own DH calls me a hippie and he's all for the cloth diapers. I'm just used to doing things differently
April 20th, 2013, 09:37 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is soooo messed up that you all get flack for cloth diapering. Its not for me due to a few reasons...mostly cuz I know I couldn't handle attempting to wash out poo(especially after a few poo accidents DD had in her panties during the whole potty training process) and few other personal things like the startup cost mainly (as if I did them I'd want the one size AIOs.) But I totally have respect for you mamas that CD for your dedication and for it being a greener choice. Some people need to shut it and not be rude.

April 20th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm with Karry, I totally respect you gals who are CDing. I would never be able to do it, mostly because I HATE laundry (seriously hate it) and I'm already sad the baby is adding to my laundry just with his clothes and stuff. I would never voluntarily add MORE laundry LOL But if I didn't have a mortal weakness to laundry I would totally CD. I bow down to you ladies for doing it LOL People who give you a hard time are RUDE.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 20th, 2013, 11:16 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have met resistance to the idea, for sure! Alot of eye rolls and "yeah, good luck with that. You have no idea what you are getting yourself into." Ummm.. this is my 3rd kid. I think I know how much poo to expect from this little guy, thank ya very much!

I think the best approach is just setting your mind to prove them wrong. Go for it and be determined to be successful. I personally can't wait to make them eat their words

April 21st, 2013, 04:57 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I got a lot of resistance from my mother...who CD'd me. But the more I talk about it and show her all the cute diapers...I think she is coming around. But I agree with the other...who cares what they think!
April 21st, 2013, 08:06 AM
Rochelle
Mostly friends, not family so much. They think everything we do is weird though. We don't even own a microwave for instance. We strive to be very old fashioned bc that's who we are, screw em!
Steph625 likes this.
April 21st, 2013, 09:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I get A LoT of resistance dh says he is going to throw them away and he is using disposibles...which will not happen. Bc if he throws them in the trash I will start throwing his deer/fish mounts and hunting stuff in trash...it will be WAR! My close friends think it makes sense and MIL seems supportive she even has asked me how to wash ect so she can help and my mom is making me some diapers However most people are like yuck! And 2 girls from my office gave me a baby shower and 1 of them even though she knew I am dead set on cd still insisted on making it a diaper party until my other friend stepped in. A bunch of ladies at work make comments all the time like oh my gosh you are gping to clean the poop? And other snarky things but I don't care they aren't paying my bills!
rcjh12 likes this.

April 21st, 2013, 10:12 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nothing really to add, just wanted to say - tell them to screw off. Let them know how much money you're saving and how easy it is for you. People just aren't informed about it and think of their grandmothers and all the old cloth diapers you see in old movies and stuff. People are always afraid of what they don't know or understand.

April 21st, 2013, 10:41 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawmommy View Post
I get A LoT of resistance dh says he is going to throw them away and he is using disposibles...which will not happen. Bc if he throws them in the trash I will start throwing his deer/fish mounts and hunting stuff in trash...it will be WAR! ...
This was my DH until I got a few of the cute little AOIs in (just for him, I might add) and showed him how they are just like a disposable, and the only difference was instead of throwing it in the trash when he's done, he'd throw it in the hamper/wet bag. He's begrudgingly getting on board with the whole idea.
April 21st, 2013, 11:28 AM
lalap's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a coworker say that my house was going to stink because I would be keeping poop around between washings. I told her I'm already used to keeping boxes of sh*t around the house (4 cats), so I don't see the big deal. This solicited a confused look and bewildered silence. Win.

I also had someone ask if we didn't use toilet paper. Lol!
April 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was honestly surprised to find out that my wet bag hamper does NOT stink at all. I just hang reusable grocery bags (cloth) on a wire laundry hamper and leave them open. The BM diapers we try to get to ASAP but then they also go into a wet hamper in the laundry room to wait the 2-3 days for washing. We also use a disposable liner for each change so most of the BM does get thrown away or put in the toilet pretty fast. I highly recommend using an open top hamper to let the air get at your stash.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 21st, 2013, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You know, I am not a CD mama, it is simply too much for me. BUT if i wanted to be one, I would be one and screw anyone who says otherwise.

A couple of my gfs did it and their houses didn't stink or anything. One had quite the system worked out.

They were a little confusing for anyone else to change, but other than that. What was the big deal?

What does she think people did before disposable diapers existed?

Stand up for yourself. People usually back down when you call them out on their rudeness.

April 21st, 2013, 07:03 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my second baby and the first time we will be attempting to CD. We thought it was nuts b/c we didn't know anything about it and DH was totally against it at first. Now, he is completely on board. My mom, aunt, uncle, and grandpa gave me funny looks at first, but it didn't take them long to get over it, especially when they saw what we got. Pretty much everyone else thinks we're insane and they aren't exactly silent. I tell them they can do what they want with their kids and I will do what I want with mine. My sister informed me today that she won't be babysitting if there are CDs involved. Fine. She has actually only babysat DD four times in more than 2.5 years. They also gave me a lot of guff for choosing to pump breast milk for DD when nursing didn't work out well, for choosing to feed her organic and make all of her baby food, and for using all organic/natural baby care products. They call me a hippy all the time. Whatever. My babies.

Tell them all to shove it. You are the mom and how you choose to raise your kids is up to you.
MamaSkunk likes this.

April 21st, 2013, 11:33 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjh12 View Post
My mom kinda joked that I won't stick with it, and my DH grumbles about how he won't be changing diapers but no one is overly serious in their teasing. And even if they were? Psh, I'll be changing 99.999999% of the diapers, I'm sure, so oh well if they don't like it
Nicole, where are you at in Kansas? Found any great local CD stores or do you shop online? I'm going to a store in KC tomorrow (super excited!). I think our chances for CD success will be greatly improved if there is someone I can contact for advice when I run into problems.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search