lots of questions

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopeful2BMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2013, 12:44 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lots of questions...

How many packs of newborn diapers should I have?

What about newborn clothes? I have lots of 0-3m, but hardly anything in newborn.

What bottles do you prefer? When I worked in daycare, most used Avent.

I plan to breastfeed, but will pump too. How many bottles should I have?

Do you like to store milk in bags or cups?

What type of thermometer?
bobbiejo1982 likes this.
April 21st, 2013, 03:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't bother purchasing any newborns diapers. I tend to give give to 8lbers. I did inherit a couple packs from a girlfriend who had a baby a couple months ago that her daughter outgrew within weeks. Do let that be your guide. I would say only purchase sizes 1 and 2 for now.

My favorite all time bottles were Dr Browns. But I picked up a bunch of Advent because they were cheaper and I got a bunch for free.

I start off with about 8 4oz and 12 8oz for later on. I have way more than that now because of people passing me stuff. Don't forget about nipple sizes/flow.

I never really stored milk for extended periods of time. I can't help you here.

And as for the thermometer....I guess I'm old school and use the wrist test that Ive seen every woman in my family ever do. I've never burnt a baby, and I've cared for plenty.

April 21st, 2013, 03:57 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only got one 100 diaper package of newborn diapers as they are good up to 10 pounds and from their go to Size one.

Newborn clothes I would say maybe a handful...like say 3 or 4. Normally the 0-3 size works good enough on them unless you have a small baby. DD was 7Lbs 14 oz. And she was able to wear some of her newborn outfits the whole 3 months.

Bottles I use are the Playtex Vent Aire Wide Nipple not standard as they are meant for those that both breast feed and bottle feed. I exclusively bottle fed DD and made due the whole time with only 6 bottles but I just made a point to make sure to wash them every night. I swear by these bottles as they help prevent gas and colic. And they are supposed to help prevent ear infections. They are also BPA free etc. Amazing bottles.

Storing milk in bags is better for a space issue and easier to freeze.

I always have two digital thermometers...one for checking rectally and one for orally. All my nurses and Pediatricians have said rectally is better when they are little and its more accurate.

April 21st, 2013, 04:27 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
we dont do the newborn diapers, just the ones we lifted from the hospital =)
newborn clothes, it really depends on the size of your baby.
DS was 7 lbs 6oz when born and wore them for a few weeks
bottles we use are playtex ventaire though i didn't make it past two weeks of breastfeeding
we did just a cheap digital thermometer, found it worked best. we had the scan one for the forehead and the ear one but neither i felt were that accurate

April 21st, 2013, 05:25 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually get 1 box of newborn diapers. It usually last about 10 days then we switch to size 1's. The nice thing about unopened boxes of diapers is that Walmart and Target both will exchange sizes without a receipt.

I usually only get a few things in newborn sizes. I ended up having to go out and buy more when DS was born because he was tiny and all his 0-3month clothes swallowed him for weeks.

I prefer storing breastmilk in bags. It saves space and freezes better.

Bottles, I feel are really a trial and error as to what works best for your baby. I used the Playtex Dropins with DD and loved them. DS hated them do we ended up using Tommee Tippee. This time I plan to just get a few of the dropins to start (they are sooooo much easier to clean up) and if baby doesn't like them we will try something else.

I have a digital rectal thermometer that I prefer to use when they are very little as it is more accurate.

April 21st, 2013, 07:11 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar March 2015 DDC Co-Host
How many packs of newborn diapers should I have? I think we only went through one. DS was born at 10.8 but by his first newborn check was down to 9.2 so we used what we had and then went up to size 1.

What about newborn clothes? I have lots of 0-3m, but hardly anything in newborn. I had newborn and used none of it d/t DS's size. 0-3 was great though...although big in the beginning, it worked just fine.

What bottles do you prefer? When I worked in daycare, most used Avent. Ditto on the Playtex Advanced Ventair bottles w/ wide nipples. I rec'd 2 boxes of those and used ONLY those until he gave up the bottle at 1yr. Totally agree, best bottles! DS never drank more than 5 ounces all the way to 1yr (his eating habit) and we stayed with the "slow flow" nipple. DS never had a problem with burping up or tummy troubles. Seriously, he only used bibs cause he was drool monster once his teeth started coming in but his clothes were never ruined by spit up or vomit.

I plan to breastfeed, but will pump too. How many bottles should I have? I was not a producer so I'm not helpful on this one. Seriously, it would take one day of pumping to make ONE 4ounce breastmilk bottle and I would supplement that one bottle per day. But I'll be trying again.

Do you like to store milk in bags or cups? At one point I got up to 3 or so days in advance so for me I just kept those bottles in the fridge.

What type of thermometer? I have a regular digital thermometer just for DS and we use it rectally.

April 21st, 2013, 09:52 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Lots of questions...

How many packs of newborn diapers should I have? I would say one to start. It's all going to depend on babies size at birth. And you don't want a lot of a diaper brand you end up hating.

What about newborn clothes? I have lots of 0-3m, but hardly anything in newborn. I'd say pick up a few things but not too many again you never know how big baby will be. With David and Katelynn I needed a few things in preemie. Sizes vary from brand to brand too so that makes it difficult.

What bottles do you prefer? When I worked in daycare, most used Avent. When I used bottles we used dr. Browns.

I plan to breastfeed, but will pump too. How many bottles should I have? I'd say a few to start no need to have a million.

Do you like to store milk in bags or cups? I used bags.

What type of thermometer? I had two, one for rectal and one for oral. Just the cheap ones.

April 21st, 2013, 11:10 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How many packs of newborn diapers should I have?

I always had just one pack on hand, then started size one.

What about newborn clothes?

I have about 7 onesies and a few pairs of pants. 4 NB sleepers. The rest are 0-3 months. It is okay if they are a little big in the beginning, babies grow so fast you won't believe it!

What bottles do you prefer?I like the playtex ventaire bottles and avent.

I plan to breastfeed, but will pump too. How many bottles should I have?
I don't breastfeed but I do know that I wash bottles on a daily basis, so I make sure to have enough bottles to last one day

Do you like to store milk in bags or cups?When I pumped for my DD, I liked the bags because you could fit more in the freezer, just make sure you get good quality ones

What type of thermometer?Get a digital, rectal thermometer. My Pediatrician always asks what baby's rectal temperature is, not ear or forehead so I don't waste the money on those kind for a while

April 21st, 2013, 11:26 PM
Veteran
I've read small mason jars are an option for storing milk too. They take up more space but you don't have the chemicals from the plastic bags.
April 22nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I make big babies too, so newborn diapers pretty much only lasted us for a week or two. Same with small onesies. Now that I cloth diaper, I need to use bigger onesies anyway because the diapers are so big!

For a while I just used the Medela bottles. My DD took them really well and it was convenient to just pump into the bottle and add a nipple to it when I was ready to use it. I had a freezer stash, but I preferred that she get fresh milk, so I would pump at work into the bottles, then drop those off at daycare when I picked her up in the afternoon and take the empty bottles home, wash them, and use them the next day. I had around 10 bottles to be able to do this. As my DD got bigger, my daycare provider preferred the Playtex Drop Ins. She was drinking so fast that it was creating a vacuum in the bottle and the nipple would get sucked in. The Drop Ins prevented this (and made for less cleaning for me!).

For freezer storage, I used bags. You can lay them flat to freeze so that they take up less space and I had an Excel spreadsheet listing the dates and amounts of milk in each bag that was on the side of the fridge. That way I could make sure that none was wasted. I'd cross off the bag as I used it and printed out a new list once a month or so to keep it updated.

We just use a temporal thermometer. I know it's not as accurate as other methods, but we will take temps when baby is healthy too, just to get a baseline temp with that thermometer. Then we will at least have an idea of when there's a fever, even if we don't know the exact temp.
April 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Diapers, I forget. I know DD was in newborn for a while. She was 7lbs 3oz at birth.

For newborn clothes, I had one outfit in newborn for DD, thinking that newborn sizes were a waste. But when she got here, she was just swimming in the 0-3 mos. DH had to go out and buy some newborn stuff. She was in those for about a month and a half.

Bottles: We loved Tommee Tippee. We had problems with Medela. Even their slow flow nipples were too fast and made DD spit up every time. We never had a problem after we switched. I exclusively pumped and we used about 8-10 bottles a day. We cleaned and sterilized daily b/c we were doing the pump stuff anyway. A word on bottles tho. I don't recommend stocking up on one brand until you find what your baby likes. You may stock up and find that your baby hates that kind. We had stocked up on Medela bc of the pump, but we couldn't use them. I gave a ton away. And they were not cheap. Get a few to try with features you like and see what your baby likes, then stock up.

Breast milk storage: We used bags, but I strongly recommend against the Lanisoh kind. Almost every bag leaked when it was thawed. We had to get creative to not lose the milk, but we probably lost 80 oz of milk before we figured out a system that worked to thaw them. The Medela bags were pricier, but good. Tommee Tippee now makes them (we love all of their products!), so we are going to give them a shot, but we will freeze and thaw within a couple of days to check for leaking issues.

Thermometer: I use the Target Up & Up ear thermometer. I know there is the whole thing about rectal for babies, but I don't think I could do it. We never had a fever scare when she was super tiny. I tried all kinds of thermometers, including a temporal scanner that was $50 and never gave an actual temp read- it said we were all dead with fevers over 106. Other ear thermometers I bought were super unreliable. The Target one gives a consistent read. When DD is healthy, it reads 97.1, I am 98.3, and DH hangs around a standard 98.6. Since the reads are so consistent, I know that it's for real when it reads an elevated temp.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search