Pumping

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2013, 11:31 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I want to start storing breastmilk, should I start that right away or is it best to wait a few weeks?
April 22nd, 2013, 11:35 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Wait. You don't want to introduce the bottle to early. There could be nipple confusion. Some babies don't get confused but some babies do. And some babies start to prefer the bottle because they don't have to work for the milk to come out of the bottle like they do straight from the breast. I would wait to adjust to being a new mommy before adding in pumping.

April 22nd, 2013, 11:44 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
My midwife suggested waiting 2 weeks. not sure about the other input... good question thou
April 22nd, 2013, 12:00 PM
Super Mommy
i would recommend waiting at least a few weeks. let your baby, and your body, get used to breastfeeding. i ended up pumping about 1-2 weeks after giving birth just to have a little extra (didnt store it, fed it to ds right away to make sure he was getting enough) but now realize i should have just let him bf as much as he wanted. of course there are many different reasons for pumping, but i'd wait a little bit for that if you can
April 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
In the breastfeeding class we took a couple weeks ago, the lactation consultant said wait at least 3 weeks before pumping. That'll give your milk a chance to come in and baby to get used to breastfeeding. Then you can start pumping and introducing the bottle.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 22nd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I'd probably wait 4-6 weeks if you have no real rush to have a supply stored up. That gives your body time to build up your milk supply and for you and baby to get the hang of breastfeeding

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
April 22nd, 2013, 12:31 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the answers!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search