Ftms who will be pumping a disclaimer!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 8 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By MerinSun

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2013, 12:25 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Do not I repeat do not let the pump indicate how much milk you are making or how much baby is getting! Pumps do not get out as much as your baby. This can be a huge booby trap for new breastfeeding mothers who are also pumping but not having much success pumping. It is no indication of supply. Instead look to your baby, how many wet diapers is he/she having, what kind of stool (yellow seedy oatmeal is what you want), how is your baby acting, are they gaining weight? Breastfed babies also gain weight lower than ff babies so make sure your ped is using a bf babies growth chart. I know I fell into this with my daughter and I would hate to see it happen to others!

April 22nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The lactation consultant emphasized this several times in the BFing class we took. I'm so glad we went, and I took DH with me, because now I know what to expect, and can start off a little more confidant than if I hadn't.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 22nd, 2013, 12:46 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also to tack on tho this, when I was having trouble with BF and trying to build supply pumping, the hospital's lactation consultant told me that the pump actually can operate on different milk ducts than your baby directly nursing, so if you aren't getting much pumping, it may just be those milk ducts building supply, but the ducts your baby gets at could be making a ton. (I ended up exclusively pumping for reasons not related to supply at all, but when I was trying, I practically had the LC on speed dial.)

April 22nd, 2013, 12:57 PM
Super Mommy
yes!! i started thinking ds wasnt getting enough milk while pumping/breastfeeding and ended up supplementing w/ formula which eventually killed my supply. he wasnt gaining 'fast enough' either according the peds office so they recommended i supplement. but looking back i know i was producing enough- he was having the right amount of wet diapers and was content after feeds. this time i am DETERMINED to exclusively breastfeed!!
April 22nd, 2013, 02:18 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is so funny you bring this up, because over the weekend a friend of mine on Facebook tore this company called Milkscreen a new one for this product that tells Moms how much milk they are producing. I posted a comment and then it just snowballed into a big bash fest.

http://www.milkscreen.com/calculator

April 22nd, 2013, 02:29 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All great things to know! I plan on probably mostly pumping, and exclusively pumping after going back to work.

April 22nd, 2013, 02:32 PM
I saw those posted on fb over the weekend too! A ridiculous product.
TeresaV likes this.

April 22nd, 2013, 06:02 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
This is so true, unless you are exclusively pumping, ha ha.
If you are exclusively pumping and not finding you are getting much, try to occasionally shift the flanges while pumping. Like someone else said, pumps use different ducts and moving the pump around will make it work on different ducts too. Just a trick I learned when trying to pump for a NICU baby and thinking I wasn't making enough.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
April 22nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Also, you won't see as many dirty or wet diapers in the first few days as you do with FF babies. Your BF baby can blow through all their meconium in a day and then not produce another dirty diaper for 7-10 days. The first day you may only get 1 wet diaper. This is totally normal.
navywifey2003 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 22nd, 2013, 09:39 PM
Breastmilk is easily absorbed which is why there is not as much output in the beginning.

April 23rd, 2013, 03:31 AM
lalap's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow! I didn't know ANY of this. Thanks guys!
April 23rd, 2013, 04:29 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
good ol' pump trap..good advice ladies

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

April 23rd, 2013, 06:33 AM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
Also, you won't see as many dirty or wet diapers in the first few days as you do with FF babies. Your BF baby can blow through all their meconium in a day and then not produce another dirty diaper for 7-10 days. The first day you may only get 1 wet diaper. This is totally normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navywifey2003
Breastmilk is easily absorbed which is why there is not as much output in the beginning.

Wow! I didn't even know this! You would think I would have by now after exclusively BFing 3 kids, LOL. Good thread.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search