Natural pain relief in labor (breathing, etc).

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BTDT moms - what do you know works for you? SO and I aren't able to take any childbirth classes and I'm sort of feeling WAY under prepared! I want to get a book for us - one that is for me to read up on good techniques and one that has info for him to help me through it all. Any book suggestions would be great, or links to great videos. I'm looking things up, but a lot of the videos are just weird. Haha. I'm starting to get really nervous!

April 22nd, 2013, 02:51 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a FTM too, but I just want to say that we aren't doing childbirth classes either. You are definitely not the only one feeling underprepared. I just keep telling myself that women have done this for thousands of years. We got this!

April 22nd, 2013, 03:02 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I would read positive birth stories there are some really amazing ones on birth without fear. My labors are very intense so nothing really works. But movement is helpful not laboring flat on your back walking, warm water, going with the contractions and not fighting them ect. I'm going to try having uplifting music playing this time.
eshute likes this.

April 22nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaV View Post
I am a FTM too, but I just want to say that we aren't doing childbirth classes either. You are definitely not the only one feeling underprepared. I just keep telling myself that women have done this for thousands of years. We got this!
Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one! I keep telling myself that too - that if women 10,000 years ago could give birth without any of the technology or knowledge that we have today, I'm pretty sure I can push one kid out! Haha.
TeresaV likes this.

April 22nd, 2013, 03:47 PM
I didn't take any classes with my first either.

April 22nd, 2013, 04:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband is reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Birth-Part...+birth+partner And he says that it's REALLY helping him. He tells me every day, "My book says...." and he's already feeling really prepared to coach me and make me comfortable.

I'm reading: http://www.amazon.com/Ina-Mays-Guide...ref=pd_sim_b_2 And it's making me feel a lot more zen and relaxed about everything.

I'm a ftm, so that's all I have to go on. I hope this helps!
navywifey2003 and eshute like this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 22nd, 2013, 04:10 PM
Ina May is an amazing women!

April 22nd, 2013, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Ina May is an amazing women!
She is! Reading her book makes me feel all "I am woman, grrrr. I can do this!!" It's just what I need, since I'm very nervous about labor.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 22nd, 2013, 04:30 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cannot imagine my DH reading a book about anything, much less about being an effective childbirth support person. Consider yourself lucky
eshute likes this.

April 22nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaV View Post
I cannot imagine my DH reading a book about anything, much less about being an effective childbirth support person. Consider yourself lucky
I think my husband took such an active roll with our 3rd because he missed it completely the first two times. Just remind him these moments can't be replaced.
TeresaV likes this.

April 23rd, 2013, 10:02 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
With my second baby, I read The Bradley Method childbirth book. The main idea that I took away from it was breathing slowly and relax, do not fight the pain, and focus on allowing your muscles to relax/expand, etc. This book really helped me and I did have a natural birth with her (I was at a hospital). This time around, i have read Mindful Birthing and am reading now Birthing From Within. But bottom line for me, like the books say, is moving around and chaning positions helps alot. There are so many books out there, and I am a book person, so it is hard to choose!
eshute likes this.

April 23rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The one thing I would say about warm water is that while it's great for managing pain, do NOT get in the tub too early. It can slow down labour if you get in too soon. I have a very low tolerance for pain, and had a water birth at home with DD. I probably could have cut out a full day of labour if I hadn't spent so much time in the tub.
eshute likes this.

April 23rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Great advice from everyone! Thank you!!

April 23rd, 2013, 05:41 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never ended up using any of the techniques we learned in class, anyway. It was lamaze-style breathing with different levels for different stages of labor, and it ended up stressing me out trying to remember what I was "supposed" to be doing. I ended up just listening to my body and finding my own groove. If you find yourself needing to vocalize through the contractions, keeping your voice low and your face relaxed does help quite a bit.

I'm obsessed with reading natural birth stories right now. Check out the NCB board, they're full of good stuff!
eshute likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

April 23rd, 2013, 08:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
All the crap they teach you in those classes went out the window once I was in pain however I do think dh benefited from the class so he knew what to expect. Your body will take over and you will become super women!!
eshute likes this.

April 24th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My chiropractor showed me some acupressure points that helped with the pain. I only used them until the anesthesiologist came and gave me my epidural, but they did seem to help.
eshute likes this.
April 24th, 2013, 09:24 AM
What about your DH's and SO's? Mine doesn't seem all that concerned about learning what to do when I'm in labor. I'm not sure if he understands what I'm going to need from him other than for him to be an advocate for what I want and don't want to happen. While that's great, I don't know if he understands yet that I'm going to need him to be actively involved and that I WANT that from him. I want him to be ready to rub my back and help me walk or move during contractions or be there if I get in the tub. I know I just need to talk to him, but he's been super stressed lately with the new jobs and everything.

Any ideas on how to approach this subject?

April 24th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
Classes didn't help me either (and neither did any of the books I read). I really just had to do whatever worked in the moment for me. You figure out pretty quickly what helps and whats uncomfortable. All I have to say about breathing is to just try to make sure your not inadvertently making yourself hyperventilate. I want to bring a paper bag this time haha I think if I hadn't started to hyperventilate (which made my hands and feet go numb) then I *may* have been able to deal better with the pitocin contractions.

As far as your SO maybe just bring up the conversation in terms of what your hoping for during delivery and labor and how you really think for you it would be helpful if he was really hands on, and that you would feel better about the whole process if you felt he wasn't going in blindly. I know that personally I didn't want to talk to DH or have him near me, touching me, talking to me at ALL. But that was just the way *I* dealt with the pain (in silence).
eshute likes this.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
April 24th, 2013, 11:35 AM
My husband was a third time dad and because he had never been there was completely clueless. I actually only wanted or needed his support when pushing. I screamed at him a lot to stop touching me. But Everett's labor was extremely intense and the whole thing was transition. But once I got to the pushing stage I needed him to hold me up. He was a great support during that time. I would talk to him but you never know in the moment what really will work best for you.
eshute likes this.

April 24th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine didn't really know what to do the first time around either. He ended up doing the technical stuff like timing my contractions until we decided it was time to go to the hospital. He would have done anything I asked, but I pretty much want to suffer alone and untouched. LOL! Then I felt bad that I got an epidural and slept for 12 hours straight while he was bored out of his mind in the hospital. He was a huge help when it came to pushing, supporting my legs and helping me count and stuff. With our second, I showed him the acupressure points and since they were just on my hands and feet, he was able to press on them without pissing me off too much. I think even if you don't prepare them ahead of time, husbands will step up and do whatever you need them to do when the time comes...it can't be easy to see someone you love in that much pain!
eshute likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search