Hospital birth? Goodies for nurses?!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By lalap
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By TeresaV
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2013, 05:42 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
So, with my daughter... I went to my 39 week appointment and was sent directly to the hospital to start induction (omg its the day before xmas eve, theres nothing wrong with you, lets get this baby out under the ruse that your blood pressure is high... it wasn't! My dr this time around actually said after viewing my records that there was no reason for the induction or the subsequent c-section)... the last thing on my mind was my plans to bring in treats and goodies for the nurses.

Are you planning on taking anything? If so, what are you going to take? Are you going to make goodie bags or take bake goods?

I'm a little worried about taking certain stuff, because of the chance that one or more of the nurses might have some kind of allergy or special diet so I feel like I need to take EVERYTHING EVER so there's absolutely no chance of anyone being left out... something vegan, something nut free, something healthy, something indulgent, something gluten free etc. It's making my brain crazy!
April 23rd, 2013, 06:10 AM
lalap's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes! I'm def planning on this! I'll prob just have hubs make some chocolate chip cookies. He's the baker in our house. Lol.
April 23rd, 2013, 06:16 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I had a private nurse, we gave her a starbucks gift card

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

April 23rd, 2013, 06:44 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do u do something for the doc too?
April 23rd, 2013, 07:06 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
We haven't done anything in the past, and afterwards I felt bad I didn't. I plan on doing SOMETHING this time around, but so far clueless as to what. For my doctor, who I just found out is leaving the practice soon after my delivery =\, I plan to put together a card with a picture of the baby and ... I dunno. For the nurses I may just have DH run out to the bakery for something to leave at the nurses' station and put a card with it. My pregnancy brain is making being creative so hard lately!
April 23rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
I hadn't even thought about doing anything for the Dr! Whoa...
April 23rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
lalap's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm giving the doc several thousand dollars. We can call it even.
April 23rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I had never thought about doing this until you just posted this! Ah! Something else for my brain to rack over..

April 23rd, 2013, 02:40 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I have no idea! I just hope I end up with good nurses
zombiemommy likes this.
April 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never heard of anyone doing this. It's a sweet idea and I'm sure they appreciate it. I don't think I'll be doing anything for the doctor, but possibly a box of cookies or donuts for the nurses. I don't know yet.

April 23rd, 2013, 03:43 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalap View Post
I'm giving the doc several thousand dollars. We can call it even.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eshute likes this.

April 23rd, 2013, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't care for any of the nurses who treated me at my last hospital. It honestly never crossed my mind.

For the doctors I brought in a nice (professional) picture of Alex inside a thank you card.

This time around I really love my midwife but I think a special gift might embarrass her. I might do a really nice picture of all of us in a frame or something. For the nurses, I'm not planning on anything because I don't know them and I have no idea who will actually be there the majority of the time. I might get an awesome nurse at the beginning who is on her last hour. I might get a large host of crappy nurses. If I'm super impressed with my care by the nurses maybe I'll plan on leaving a gift card or something. I don't know. We live in a tip crazy culture so I try not to feel too pressured to give anything extra unless it was really deserved. After all, when was the last time you got tipped in a non-service job?

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 24th, 2013, 04:26 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It never crossed my mind to do this when DD was born, but we have done a lot for nurses when my grandparents have been in the hospital. My mom is a hospital administrator and has been in nursing for 40 years. Her recommendation is always to do a basket with a variety of both salty and sweet packaged snacks. She says that homemade goods often go uneaten bc people don't know how clean your house/kitchen is and they also tend to go stale more quickly. The packaged ones are great b/c people can tell right off the bat what they are and can grab something as they run down the hall in a hurry. They tend to snack on the fly and these kinds of gifts, I am told, are an all around favorite bc there is usually something for everyone. I think we will do something this time around. I just have to get to Sam's Club or something and put something together.
zombiemommy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search