For those a little older

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MerinSun

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2013, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Due to the age of 39 I am considered a little older. I have to go for a NST starting at 36 week and then frequently after. In trying to understand why I learned that due to age I am at an increased risk of stillbirth after the 36 week (and especially after 39 week). However, with an induction at 39 week the risk is the same as with a 25-29 year old. Early on one doc discussed the possibility of induction of Ellianna does not arrive by 39 weeks. I plan to discuss this with the doc this Friday. I want to fully understand the risk of induction versus waiting. Anyone else have this chat with their doc?

April 23rd, 2013, 03:22 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have not had cause to have this discussion but I applaud you for doing so. I am 29 but will be having a c-section at 39 weeks already.
But I do have a little side story :

My coworkers son is 41 years old and his wife who is 37 just suffered a stillborn loss at 40 weeks 3 days pregnant in late Feb. She had an ultrasound done at 36 weeks and everything was perfect, 40 weeks they did an ultrasound because she wasn't feeling as much movement and within those few weeks there was almost no amniotic fluid left and the baby had passed away. I am all for being as proactive as possible not just based on age. She wanted to go the most hands off approach she could - she was using a midwive and a birthing center. She wanted an all natural tub birth for her child. The ONLY reason she had an ultrasound at 36 weeks was because the midwife thought she was breech and they were checking babys position.

Edited to add : this was the first child for both

April 23rd, 2013, 04:26 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am 38 and started NST this week but I have a perfect storm of issues that make still orthodox after 38 weeks a big risk for me, including the clotting issues.
April 23rd, 2013, 09:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomsgrl11 View Post
I have not had cause to have this discussion but I applaud you for doing so. I am 29 but will be having a c-section at 39 weeks already.
But I do have a little side story :

My coworkers son is 41 years old and his wife who is 37 just suffered a stillborn loss at 40 weeks 3 days pregnant in late Feb. She had an ultrasound done at 36 weeks and everything was perfect, 40 weeks they did an ultrasound because she wasn't feeling as much movement and within those few weeks there was almost no amniotic fluid left and the baby had passed away. I am all for being as proactive as possible not just based on age. She wanted to go the most hands off approach she could - she was using a midwive and a birthing center. She wanted an all natural tub birth for her child. The ONLY reason she had an ultrasound at 36 weeks was because the midwife thought she was breech and they were checking babys position.

Edited to add : this was the first child for both
This story took my breath away. That is absolutely horrific. My midwife wants to do non-stress testing starting at 36 weeks and then do another ultrasound at around 38 weeks. I was thinking that was a bit much but now I'm thinking that's conservative :\ What in the world caused the amniotic deficiency?

I had a failed induction about a week before the second induction that resulted in the successful birth of my son. It wasn't until 2 days after the failed induction that I got a bio-scan of Alex to look at amniotic levels and other markers. He scored perfectly and we were allowed to wait a few more days before attempting another induction. I would ask your doctor if you could have a bio-scan at 38.5 weeks or close enough to check for signs of distress or deterioration. They'll check the health of the placenta, umbilical cord, etc. If your baby scores perfectly and the baby is moving well you might be able to convince your doctor to wait a few more days to let her show up on her own. But if any of the markers look off you probably won't get that option.
zkat likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 24th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
At this point, I just want her out healthy. I can wait until DD if all indications are great. To date I have kinda ignored age. None of the risks have happened. Great prenatal test, great glucose, no protein, etc. As the DD is approaching, this one has hit me in heart. I just hate not having control. There is nothing I can eat or do to create great placental function. Here is praying for health for everyone.

April 24th, 2013, 06:37 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She had been leaking fluid but was told that it was not amniotic fluid based on a test they did in the office? I don't know anything about that type of thing. We know that because we work in a restaurant and she happened to mention it a few days before the baby was born when talking about how uncomfortable late pregnancy was.

My coworker is a 78 year old woman so she doesn't ask too much from her kids just lets them tell her things because she doesn't like to see it "hard" for him. I know they did an autopsy but we haven't heard anything about what the results of it were.

April 24th, 2013, 07:12 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
I would ask your doctor if you could have a bio-scan at 38.5 weeks or close enough to check for signs of distress or deterioration. They'll check the health of the placenta, umbilical cord, etc. If your baby scores perfectly and the baby is moving well you might be able to convince your doctor to wait a few more days to let her show up on her own. But if any of the markers look off you probably won't get that option.
This is precisely why I am having Bio physical profiles done each week. She told me last pregnancy that if she felt that his growth was slowing, he showed any signs of distress or my placenta and fluid look the slightest bit off, she will not hesitate to take him early. At that point, he chances outside the womb are much better inside.

I have come to terms with the fact that my children will not be able to come without medical intervention. I can't live without medical intervention - pregnant or not. I think sometimes we get so caught up in villianizing the medical community, we forget that they went to school for over a decade and really do know better than we do, most of the time. There is a reason why stillbirths are lower and general life expectancy is longer than in the 1900's.

It sounds like you have a conservative, very good Dr. and he/she will guide you to what is best for you guys.

Kat.
April 24th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone. I hope that I have not upset anyone with a post on this general topic. Reality is that for nearly everyone on here the chance of a healthy baby is now 99.2%. Everyone would play the loto with that odd I am just a person that tend to worry. I have trouble letting go of total control

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search