Crappy appointment today :(

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By cheerfulsunrise
  • 1 Post By Hopeful2BMommy
  • 1 Post By sunnydaze
  • 1 Post By eshute
  • 1 Post By Kim3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2013, 09:19 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I decided to switch hospitals which means I had to switch docs. This was my last appointment here in town and I had to sign a release and all that. So the NP walks in all huffy and in a crappy mood to begin with. I tell her about the issues I've been having - the boil I have, my asthma acting up, and my severe sciatic pain. Also, my BP was up in the 130's/80's when it's normally under 120/80. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but with my family history of pre-e, I pay close attention. Basically she tells me that because I have an appointment in a week with my new doc, that there's nothing she can do. She told me to leave the boil alone, didn't even touch on my asthma acting up (I could really use an inhaler), and at first didn't seem to care about my BP until I stressed it. She finally checked my ankles and told me that she didn't want me doing much other than staying home and laying on my left side for a few days. She doesn't want me shopping or doing much housework. She said I *could* be developing preg induced hypertension without pre-e, but it might just be a fluke. I mentioned that it could be because of my back pain as well. I haven't been doing much anyway due to my back pain, but the fact that I'm being TOLD to take it easy kind of weirded me out. Haha. Oh and I lost a pound. I'm 6lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight now. Crazy stuff. Anyway, I can't wait til my appointment with my new midwife and doctor.

Last edited by eshute; April 26th, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
April 26th, 2013, 10:09 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. Glad your switching docs and have another appt in a week.
eshute likes this.

April 26th, 2013, 10:22 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I hope things go better with your new doctor!!
eshute likes this.

April 26th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hoping you have a better experience with your new doc.
eshute likes this.
April 26th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I notice as we progress into the 3rd trimester and we develop more aches and pains like back aches and sciatic nerve pain....

the docs kind of just blow it off. They aren't going to do anything, they can't really.

I pulled a groin muscle and it was killing me. All the doc did was shrug his shoulders because I'm sure he has heard it all before.

I hate these docs and I can't wait to be done with them.
eshute likes this.

April 26th, 2013, 12:50 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I hope you are much happier with your care at the new doctors office!

April 26th, 2013, 01:06 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaze View Post
I notice as we progress into the 3rd trimester and we develop more aches and pains like back aches and sciatic nerve pain....

the docs kind of just blow it off. They aren't going to do anything, they can't really.

I pulled a groin muscle and it was killing me. All the doc did was shrug his shoulders because I'm sure he has heard it all before.

I hate these docs and I can't wait to be done with them.
I think some docs are this way too. My previous OB with DD(wish he wasn't in a different state) was NOT this way. At every later appointment he always asked me how I was feeling. Was very sympathetic and would tell me little tricks and tips to help ease my third tri pains. I complained one day to him my feet were sore from swelling at my 38 week appointment and he massaged my feet while we discussed my birth plans (It wasn't at all creepy cause he was the kindly grandfather type) and as I left my appointment he gave DH orders to rub my feet and help out more so I could keep them elevated all very chastisingly. So there are good docs out there and even if they can't do much about the aches and pains they should at least be sympathetic and able to tell you what things to try and ease your pain.

April 26th, 2013, 02:21 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I hope the new ones will be more sympathetic. I'm sorry she wasn't very caring about your concerns!
April 26th, 2013, 02:22 PM
That's all I'm looking for - someone to ask me how I'm doing and give me ideas on what to do to ease the discomfort. I know it's normal, I know it'll likely go away when baby gets here, but it certainly doesn't make it any better. The midwives at my old offices always looked at me like they were my best friend when they asked what was going on with me. THey asked about my mood, about how SO and I were doing, asked if I had any questions. The NP I've seen just doesn't seem to care. I mean, I know I'm transferring out but for the next week you're still my caregiver. There's no reason she couldn't give me an Rx for an inhaler, even if there weren't any refills, you know? Ugh.
MamaSkunk likes this.

April 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doc doesn't really blow me off, but he definitely doesn't say much other than "it's only going to get worse." I don't get offended by it because I know there's really nothing I can do with most of my aches and pains.

April 26th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it definitely depends on the specific doc. I has a regular appointment today (yes, just had one with the perinatologist yesterday). anyway, I love this guy. He knows I have bad back pain (collapsed discs). He discussed it with me and told me options for me orthopaedic. He explained why steriods are 100% safe for me (they really help when it gets bad). He explained the effects of other meds I used to take for it. He is wonderful. Unfortunately I have to treat with every doc in the practice. A couple of the other ones - ugggghhhhh. I hope you find one like I had today.
eshute likes this.

April 26th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks ladies. I have high hopes for the new practice I'll be going to. I've heard good things about the doctor and I'm super excited to be getting a midwife again. I know it'll be a little hectic because my records are scattered and whatnot, but so far when I've talked to the office they've all been really nice and perfectly sweet. I just hope that my blood pressure stays under control because I'm afraid that they might want me to stay with someone in my town instead of an hour away if I start developing PIH or pre-e. Fingers crossed!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search