Chores

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2013, 01:07 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Did you have chores growing up? Were you given an allowance if you did them? Will you do the same or something else with your children?

April 26th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes to chores, no to allowance. I plan on giving our kids an allowance though. I want to teach them that they have to earn their own money and things won't just be handed to them just because they want it.

#1, 4, 5, 7
April 26th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Loads of chores, never got an allowance. We were expected to do our share.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't give your kids money for doing chores that they're expected to do because it teaches them to expect payment for every little thing they do. It said that if you're going to give them an allowance, you should give it to them regardless of whether or not they do their expected chores. If they don't do their chores, they get a different type of punishment. If you ask them to do a job that's above and beyond their regular chores, then you can pay them for that.

April 26th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes to both, but I didn't get my allowance for doing the chores.
April 26th, 2013, 01:40 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well with my dad I was given an allowance and really never had to do any chores at all. I did pick up after myself and washed my own dishes from making myself lunch etc but I was never told I HAD to do anything. I was his princess tho and spoiled.

When I was with my mom... I didn't have chores per se I was just expected to do everything. I cooked dinner, did dishes, cleaned the house, took care of my brothers (bathing them, taking care of them, diaper changes, putting them to bed at night, as well as feeding them breakfast and
lunch(before they started school or on summer breaks). The only thing my mom did do was laundry and that was only the washing and folding part. I still had to put everyone's clothes away. And my mom never gave any of us an allowance.

And wow these GTKYs make me realize my parents sound like a what to do/what not to do with parenting P.S.A

April 26th, 2013, 02:05 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I had an allowance that I got regardless. I never had specific chores, but if my parents asked me to do something then I was expected to do it. When my mom cleaned house, my task was always the bathrooms. I had to make my bed and pick up my room. If I had dirty clothes, I had to take them to the laundry room. My clean and folded clothes were put in my room but I had to actually put them away. I did willingly help out with cooking but that's just because I liked doing it. Overall I had it pretty easy. I knew how to do dishes and clean the house, but my parents really did most of it.
April 26th, 2013, 02:14 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No to both. My mom's a neat freak, though, so even if I'd try to help out it wasn't good enough. I occasionally got money at report card time. A's were worth so much, B's were worth so much, but after it got to a C it wasn't worth anything. haha.

April 26th, 2013, 03:59 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We were supposed to clean our room once a week, and we occasionally helped with house or yard work. My allowance when I was little was a quarter a week.

All my kids have daily chores, even the 2yo (almost 3) helps clean her room most nights. We don't have a dishwasher, so dishes must be done three (sometimes four) times a day; everybody takes a turn after each meal. The older kids have animal chores to take care of. They do their own laundry and clean their own rooms. We also do a quick cleanup of the house every night. I also expect them to help with yard work, snow removal, firewood, seasonal cleaning projects, etc. It sounds like a lot, but I promise they still get lots of free time every day- more than I get!

We don't regularly give allowance. If it is a big job (like mucking out the chicken coop or goat pen) I will pay them, but I think it is important for them to know that their chores are nothing more than learning how to take care of themselves and helping their family.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Rochelle
Yea, I had chores. I had to walk the dogs after school and 6 days a week I had a different chore. I remember one day was vacuuming, one day dusting etc..

I have implemented a chore chart before but it didn't go over real well but I blame myself. I'm pretty unorganized so my lack of structure was interfering with their motivation and results.

However, they DO have certain things that are expected. They have to clean their rooms and the two oldest have to keep a third and fourth eye on the 2 yr old if I'm out of sight. They are pretty good about that stuff. Other than that they sometimes put their clothes away and they will tote their dirty clothes to the laundry room and sometimes bring the clean clothes in from the dryer.
They're also expected to clean up their crap from the livingroom about an hour before DH gets home so he doesn't have to work all day and come home to a disaster zone.

As a child I was paid a little like a dollar a week or something very small. Our kids don't get an allowance at this time but maybe later down the rd we may.

I actually saw this chore chart the other day that I may use..
Printable Chore Charts
April 27th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Never got an allowance. Was given what I needed. I then has summer jobs (grass cutting, working at local amusement park, waitress, etc.) where I earned for extras. Just had to keep my room and help with general things when Mom cleaned. Dishes after dinner were always our work - although I wasn't told it was a chose.

Now I just try to get my kiddos to place their clothes in the laundry room and place their dinner dish in the dishwasher. They work hard in school and activities though.

April 27th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I never really got a regular allowance. Sometimes my dad gave me money.

I also didn't really have too many chores. I was asked to help out and keep my room clean and put away my laundry when I got older but that was sort of it. Yes I was spoiled.

SS does chores now. He is in charge of his room, putting away his laundry, his bathroom. He also has to clear the table after dinner. He helps with other things too like unloading and loading the dishwasher.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search