Exercises that don't include walking??

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By KellBell2621
  • 2 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2013, 07:01 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone have any ideas? My sciatic is still killing me and so I've been taking it really easy for almost two weeks now. While I wasn't exactly exercising before this, I was definitely more active. What worries me is that it's not long now until LO is going to be here, and my stamina is completely shot. I was wondering if you ladies had any good ideas on exercises that don't include walking or standing for more than a few minutes? Also, swimming is out of the question - this is the first thing I thought of, but it's not an option here without having to pay and we just can't afford it right now.

April 27th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Super Mommy
sometimes i'll just sit on a stability ball..usually i'll use some light handweights and work out my arms a bit too. but i heard sitting on one, rocking on it, or even lightly bouncing can help ease back pain.
eshute likes this.
April 27th, 2013, 08:03 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I bet the ball would help you feel better too! I loved sitting on my ball with Everett.
eshute and KellBell2621 like this.

April 27th, 2013, 10:27 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you always have sciatica pain or just from the baby? I would work on getting the baby to move a bit. I had the worst shooting pain down my entire leg, my hip would even lock while trying to take a few steps. It was sooo painful and bad. Needless to say terrible for a waitress! So every time I found myself with even just 15 minutes to do nothing at home I'd lay on my left side or get on my hands and knees. After about 2 days the baby shifted a bit or something and bam my sciatica pain is gone! I had actual tears everytime I went to take a step.

April 28th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have several compressed disc (I was supposed to have surgery 2 years ago and did not). I did learn some exercises in PT that really help. They are like Yoga. There are some medication options while PG although I have managed to make it with the yoga. (Doctor doesn't really believe me - but it works really well). I am not sure how much endurance it will provide. It hurts at first. In the end it does control my pain.

April 28th, 2013, 06:40 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
I came here to say the ball and yoga! You can find a lot of good beginner video's online and even some pregnancy yoga videos for free. Don't over do it and I hope you start feeling better!
April 28th, 2013, 07:23 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I was going to suggest yoga as well. I have a pregnancy yoga DVD that has three different levels to follow- I usually follow the easiest girl who does modified poses because I suck at yoga anyway
Shiva Rea Prenatal Yoga Dvd - Gaiam
This is the one I have but I am sure you can find it cheaper than this website
April 28th, 2013, 10:20 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. I'll definitely look into the yoga thing. And Phantom - I've only rarely had problems with my sciatic in the past, but it went away very quickly. I assume this is to do with the baby, especially since I've had it on both sides now. Thing is, she's laying on my left side. The pain is in my right side now. I lay on my left side for long periods of time during the day and sleep on my left side at night for the most part. I've tried a few different exercises for the sciatica itself and it didn't really help. I think I'll look into yoga and see if I can do it.

Thanks again.

April 29th, 2013, 12:07 PM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I would say yoga too! That is the kind of exercise I like best Also, I have found that the yoga videos I have range from pretty easy (mostly like stretching, breathing, etc) to much harder. Also, some of the yoga dvds include a post partum routine too. Your library might have some or if you use netflix, they might have some too, and you can see what you like.
DS: '98, DD: '00, DD: '13, & TTC #4

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search