Little boys

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2013, 08:16 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So we have decided to have our little man circ'ed because DH is and I talked to quite a few guys we know close friends and family who quite a few were uncirc'ed and asked their opinions of to circ or not to circ. And surprisingly got a resounding reply from almost all (like 98%) that yes we should circ lil man. Odd I know since I'd say about 40% of the guys I asked were uncirc'ed and they all said I should.
Anyway being a new mama to boy parts who here has had their little guys circ'd? When was it done? How long did it take to heal? And what did you have to do as far as cleaning as I know it will probably need to be cleaned while it heals.
And who is with me on getting their boys circ'ed as I feel nowadays we are in the minority?

April 29th, 2013, 08:20 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
We are getting our little man circed. The hubby said absolutely. I think it is pretty common to have it done around here. great questions!!
April 29th, 2013, 08:29 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
For us it was done the next day after delivery, and we just kept it covered with Vaseline until it healed. I want to say about a week, but it has been 7 years so my memory isn't the greatest.
April 29th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Super Mommy
We've had both our boys cir'ced. It was always done in the hospital usually the day after they were born. In some cases, like my first DS, they would put a ring around the penis during (maybe after?) circing, and it would stay on until healed and fell off by itself. With my second they just circed him and it'd heal by itself. In both cases, though, you want to slather it in A&D ointment or vaseline or something to keep the scab from sticking to the diaper. You usually just rinse it with plain old water.
mommyandwife08 likes this.
April 29th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We did for your first two. I left DH make the decision. They will usually do it the day after birth (just because the ped comes in during the morning). It did not seem that traumatic. They seemed normal upon return. It was wrapped in gauze the first day. Then the nurse removed the gauze before we went home. Just put extra vasoline around it.

April 29th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I have really really strong feelings against doing it and after a 6 month long battle with DH....I've decided to give in and allow it to be done. I have to ask my OB when it's done. Hopefully in hospital. I'll be following this thread!

Oh on a sidenote how much did everyone pay for it to be done? I think it's somewhere between 350-400$ here, at least that is what a friend told me

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
April 29th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
We had my son done, and we will for this baby too. I let hubby decide. It was done in the hospital, and took about a week or so before the gauze bandage came off. Well, there's like a small wrap on it, and then gauze around that. So I guess I meant the small wrap came off after about a week. Just extra Vaseline so it doesn't stick to anything! Ouch!

I don't remember exactly how much it cost, but I do remember getting a separate bill for it. 300 bucks sounds about right though.

April 29th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have strong feelings about it either way, but DH does, so we'll be getting it done. My family is totally against it, but DH said it's none of their business and he wants it done.

The hospital website says they charge $100 for it, but that doesn't include the doctor's fee.

April 29th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're planning on getting it done. Our OB takes care of it sometime while he's in the hospital, and it'll cost $200 as long as we pay in advance, otherwise it ups to $400. You can bet we'll be paying in advance.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
April 29th, 2013, 09:49 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
With David since he was born in the hospital it was done the afternoon after he was born. Everett was done by his pedi a week after birth since he was born at home. My husband also has strong opinions on the subject because of what happened to his little brother. He ended up needed it done at 10/11 I can't remember exactly and it wasn't a cleaning issue, but again I don't remember details. Plus I don't have those parts so I feel while my opinion counts Kyles counts more.

April 29th, 2013, 09:52 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We didn't do it with Bourne and won't with Bodhi either, but our OB does it the day after delivery at the hospital and the cost was around $340.
April 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Both my boys had it done to "match" their Dad. It was much more common place to have it done (especially here in the US...in other countries it isn't as common believe it or not) back then.

I don't remember how much Alex's cost, but Sebastian it cost 110.00 and was the only bill not covered by insurance.

I remember because we had super duper insurance and never even had copays and all i paid for the entire labor/pregnancy/delivery process was the 110.00

April 29th, 2013, 10:13 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I don't have experience with it, but I have decided to not have it done with Henry. I've done some reading on the subject and decided that it just wasn't for me. DH didn't have any strong feelings on the subject and knows that I do. He's smart enough to let me have my way on certain subjects
April 29th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DH is circed, but decided against having DS done. Interestingly enough, the only one of our friends who has a strong opinion about what we did is an intact guy...and he says we should have done it. LOL! But after DH read the pros and cons of circ, he started to get resentful that he is circed. Go figure.
April 29th, 2013, 02:02 PM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
Easton is and this baby will be. Ditto all the ladies on day after and Vaseline, that's it. I don't recall getting a separate bill, I think it must have been covered

April 29th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We plan on getting our guy circ'ed. I let SO make the decision ultimately because, as someone else stated, I don't have those parts.

#1, 4, 5, 7
April 29th, 2013, 02:31 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
We are a intact family, if they are born with it they need it.

You may want to check your insurance, I know a lot state insurance refuse to pay for it anymore.
4hearts likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

April 29th, 2013, 02:31 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
During my nursing clinicals I was able to watch a baby get circ'd. SO and I had agreed to get the baby circ'd if it was a boy before we knew the gender. If you want full details on what I remember about it, feel free to PM me here or on FB.

April 29th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran
DS1 is circ'd as well our next son will be. Agreed with the lots of Vaseline, don't be afraid to glob it on there. I am packing my own tub of Vaseline actually, they provide it but its a small tube and I like to use gobs of it so I'll go through a lot. Our son's pediatrician did the procedure the day after birth, he comes and checks the baby out at the hospital within 24 hours of being born and does the circ if needed. Also, they put a numbing cream on it beforehand to help dull the sensation. It wasn't horrible and he was back in 15 or 20 minutes sleeping away. Took about a week to heal, pretty sure it was healed before the umbilical cord fell off.

Last edited by Brie289; April 29th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.
April 29th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
We plan to have little man Circ'd and I'm not sure I'll have to check on my insurance to see if they cover it or not.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search