Breast feeding question?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By edgeofelise
  • 4 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By wildchihuahua
  • 1 Post By edgeofelise
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By Kalynas_Mom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I formula fed my son but I plan on breast feeding this time around. I was wondering, what do you do when the baby starts sleeping thru the night? Do you wake up and pump? Do you start leaking if you don't pump in the middle of the night? How does that work?

April 30th, 2013, 01:09 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your body will make the right amount of milk for your baby if you feed on demand. DD didn't STTN until around a year or so, though most night nursing sessions were more for comfort rather than nutrition after about 6 months. Don't worry about pumping at night. When the baby is super little they'll probably wake up every 2-3 hours to eat. If not, you should wake baby for a feed every four hours. You'll probably leak a little at night until your body figures out how much milk baby needs, but it'll level off on its own. There will be random nights when your baby might sleep longer than usual because their patterns are really erratic at first, and in that case you might get a little engorged but it won't cause a problem unless it's a regular thing.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

April 30th, 2013, 01:22 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
^^ Great response!! I found that if I nursed on demand (day and night) my body kept up with what Abri needed as she grew. Just be prepared for cluster feeding where it seems like baby eats round the clock. It's temporary and is how baby signals your body to make more. Cluster feeding happens at growth spurts. So even when baby starts STTN, they may wake up at night to nurse during a growth spurt.
April 30th, 2013, 01:46 PM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agree with PPs. I always sleep in a soft bra with nursing pads in case I leak. Sometimes I add a towel on the bed too. lol. It can be a fun mess! But yes, your body will adjust. Good luck!
Gen88 likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 02:14 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, the cluster feeding. The first time that happened we were still in the hospital and I was totally freaked out because she got so frantic I couldn't get her to latch and had to get her calmed down first. We called one of the nurses and she explained a little about cluster feeding, but I had no idea how often it would happen or anything about growth spurts. Kellymom was an amazing resource to me in the beginning. But basically, if it ever seems like you're not making enough milk, just KEEP going. Don't think you need to supplement! Check with an LC to make sure you don't have latch issues, but pretty much assume your body and your baby will figure it out. It's a nerve-wracking little dance in the beginning but as long as you trust yourself it'll usually work out just fine.
Gen88 likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

Last edited by edgeofelise; April 30th, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
April 30th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you everyone, I'm really looking forward to the breast feeding experience

April 30th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you planning on pumping for work? I opted to sleep instead of getting up to pump. This meant I had to supplement sometimes with formula. I felt bad about that but the trade off was that I was a better rested and happier person for Alex. As long as you're feeding on demand during the day your supply shouldn't take a hit at all (as in wither up and go away. It will decrease some to adjust but if this is worrisome for you add a pump or two during the day).

Cluster feeding! *#$*#$*^@#*(@&#(*a#$8723497#$98@** Is what I have to say about that, lol! Thankfully it's not forever and when it becomes too much for you it's time to hand the baby over to your SO or another family member for them to wear (The sleepy wrap was great for this) or to be placed into a stroller and taken on a walk. If you feel like you're too stressed out then you probably are and need a bit of peace. Seriously, your breasts are amazing machines and they'll handle whatever you throw at them
Gen88 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 30th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
Are you planning on pumping for work? I opted to sleep instead of getting up to pump. This meant I had to supplement sometimes with formula. I felt bad about that but the trade off was that I was a better rested and happier person for Alex. As long as you're feeding on demand during the day your supply shouldn't take a hit at all (as in wither up and go away. It will decrease some to adjust but if this is worrisome for you add a pump or two during the day).

Cluster feeding! *#$*#$*^@#*(@&#(*a#$8723497#$98@** Is what I have to say about that, lol! Thankfully it's not forever and when it becomes too much for you it's time to hand the baby over to your SO or another family member for them to wear (The sleepy wrap was great for this) or to be placed into a stroller and taken on a walk. If you feel like you're too stressed out then you probably are and need a bit of peace. Seriously, your breasts are amazing machines and they'll handle whatever you throw at them
I'm not going back to work any time soon, but I would like to pump to have some stored just in case someone needs to watch her or in case of an emergency. I was just wondering what happens at night when baby starts sleeping thru the night and we don't have to feed them as much. I'm not looking forward to the cluster feelings lol

April 30th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I remember a few nights of waking up when I would expect Alex to wake up and feeling like I had bricks on my chest. Sometimes I'd wake up to wet bricks, lol.

I also distinctly remember peeling off my shirt and wadding it over my breasts and falling back to sleep, lol. After about 2-3 nights they stopped getting so full, but they were never empty. If Alex woke up wanting to be fed I could feed him no problem.
Gen88 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 1st, 2013, 07:03 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I think while many breastfed babies do STTN, I think its important to remember that breast milk digests in about 90 minutes so your BF baby will probably want to feed more often than a formula fed one. DD never slept so I never really had to deal with those kinds of issues but on the rare occasion she did sleep for say 4-5 hours I would just hand express to relieve some of the engorgement. If you pump in the middle of the night your telling your body to keep making milk at that time and your likely to become engorged if baby sleeps through that feed again and you don't want to pump. DD probably fed every 30 mins -2 hrs for about 6 months and from 6 months to 12 months probably between 1-4hrs (day or night)
Gen88 likes this.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search