Blood pressure

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 03:13 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, for my last 3 doctor appointments my BP has been slowly creeping upward. Normal for me is right around 118/75. Today it was 134/84, and the first time the bottom number has been over 80. The doctor didn't seem concerned about it, but I am freaking out. Of course I forgot to ask when they started getting concerned. Anyone have any experience in this area?

April 30th, 2013, 03:17 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Usually they start getting concerned at 90 or higher. If you have other symptoms as well, such as headaches, protein in your urine to name a few.

April 30th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Mine watches my bp and anything in the 140's/90's they start to get concerned. Ditto what Lynd's said. I have Pre-E so my OB watches my bp, protein in urine. I'm suppose to report any headaches and dizziness. I was sent to the hospital with my youngest to deliver when my bp hit 150/100 and I had protein in my urine.

April 30th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Ah, I forgot to mention....they have not found protein in my urine even once.

April 30th, 2013, 04:10 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine creeped up at today's appt., too. It is 124/80, which is pretty high for me and I had small amounts of protein in my urine so my OB said she will just watch me the next couple of weeks and I need to be vigiliant about any sudden changes.

Last time she got really concerned when the bottom number went to 90.
April 30th, 2013, 04:41 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto what the other ladies have said. My BP has been creeping up (I'm able to check it myself at home, too). Last appt it was like 134/86 and my norm stays under 120/80 so it was a definite jump. I've not had any other Pre-e symptoms, but she reminded me that you can have pregnancy induced hypertension without having pre-e and anything 140/90 and higher is cause for concern. They talked about sudden swelling and a recurring headaches, etc. Looks like we're in the same boat! Hopefully it's just from the extra swelling and stress.

April 30th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Sadly the stress of having high blood pressure is probably not helping me any. *sigh* At least I am to a point now where if it gets too high baby is pretty well developed.

April 30th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Super Mommy
Yeah, the stress of having it higher at an appointment definitely doesn't make it better. I've had pre-e twice now and it's psychosymatic for me whenever they take my BP, it automatically shoots up. I've tried telling my doctor this, but apparently anxiety can't possibly contribute to my BP being high (sarcasm). It's been perfectly normal at home, usually under 125/80 but usually it's even lower than that. Even so my doctor prescribed me labatelol and the first pill I took made me feel really awful, I checked my BP (I have a monitor here) and it was really low, almost too low. So I figured I'll just keep an eye on it and if it starts creeping up then I'll start taking it. At my appointment last Thursday they did a regular dip for protein which came up negative but she still wanted me to do a 24 hour urine catch which I turned into the lab this morning, the protein levels were within the normal range. So I'm not worried at this point. I've been a little less trusting in doctors, they seem to really like to push meds. What makes me really angry was that I tried explaining that I have an anxiety disorder and the fact that I've been induced twice and would really like to go into labor on my own this time makes me very nervous every time they put that stupid cuff on me. Obviously, she doesn't take me seriously. I really wish I could have a midwife and a home birth.
May 1st, 2013, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I've spent the last couple days constantly thinking about the increased risk of getting induced or having a c-section, both of which I would like to avoid. Ugh. It's a vicious cycle.

May 1st, 2013, 03:44 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I always close my eyes and try to breath in a relaxing manner while my midwives take mine because I too get nervous about it not sure why lol.

May 1st, 2013, 03:53 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Another thing that happens with me is that because I'm overweight and I have big upper arms, if they don't use a large sized cuff it is incredibly painful and uncomfortable. I'll usually suggest using a larger sized cuff if I see them pull out the normal one because I know the pain of having it done shoots it up. Sadly, taking it at home the last two days at the same time in the morning, it has been hovering around 140/90. And today I got a pretty bad BH just while sitting in bed and I think it shot up. Got all fuzzy headed an nauseous. UGH! The stress of it all certainly is no help!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search