Former smokers support

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 3 Post By eshute

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 08:24 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Any formers smokers out thee? Still struggling? I quit 2 weeks before I was pregnantback in October. Im still having a hard time with it. I still want to smoke....ugh I thought that feeling would be gone by now.
May 1st, 2013, 11:01 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to smoke. I smoked for 17 years from age 13 to 30. I quit while prg with DD then started a few months after she was born (I never smoked around her and only outside) And I quit last January because not only the expense of cigs but for my health and for my daughter. I realized I didn't want her to ever see me smoke and think it was OK or normal to smoke(kids of smokers are 80% MORE likely to smoke themselves than kids of nonsmokers) and I basically realized I wanted to live for her. I wanted to be there for her graduation her wedding her first child. I want to know my grand babies someday. I don't ever want my kids to loose a parent to cancer. My mom lost her dad to cancer at a young age and it pretty much has given her a whole bunch of emotional issues.
So when I get the urge to smoke then I look into my daughters eyes and I remember all these things and I ignore the craving. They do go away and get less with time. Don't start again!
Also an interesting few medical facts on smoking. The chemical reaction that happens in the brain with each drag you take is the exact same reaction caused by freebasing crack.
Cigarettes are more addictive than Meth and Heroin combined. Its far easier to detox from those drugs than it is to quit smoking.
Cigarettes contain many poisonous chemicals but one of the main ones is arsenic....uhhh arsenic can kill you.
The lines on a cigarette are actually gun powder.
And here's a very disturbing fact if you take one carton of cigarettes and take all the tobacco out and boil it in water down to a tarry substance...that tarry substance if you touch bit with your bare skin it will poison and kill you undetected within a matter of minutes. Its called Nicotine poisoning.
And even more disturbing...this same thing that can kill an adult can happen to a child if they get into a pack of cigarettes and eat the tobacco. And Drs actually see a few cases of this every year of a child ingesting tobacco and the child getting nicotine poisoning.
So if the whole black lungs thing doesn't deter you hopefully these facts will make you never wanna smoke again.
zombiemommy likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 11:01 PM
Oops!

Last edited by MamaSkunk; May 2nd, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
May 2nd, 2013, 09:26 AM
RubyRocks's Avatar Rockin' Momma
I've smoked for 13 years. Didn't quit completely with my now 9 year old, but did with my 17 month old and now this pregnancy. I was surprised I went back after my 17 month old, but I can already say I'll probably start up again after this one too. I think about how nice it will be with a margarita after a long day hahaha.

Sorry if that's not any help lol, but just keeping it real. Once you have ONE, you'll go back, so don't have that one if you really want to quit!

May 2nd, 2013, 10:41 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Im not but wanted to offer support and hugs!

May 2nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
I appreciate the support ladies.

Thanks for the post mamaSkunk. For all those reasons I really do not want to start again. I lost my mother to cancer.

I just do not Want to :want to smoke" if you know what I mean.
May 2nd, 2013, 11:45 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a child of smokers and have a family full of smokers. I hate it. I hated it when I was a kid, I hate it now. Thankfully, almost 6 years ago my mother quit after 30 years of smoking and I love her all the more for it. I don't cough and sneeze around her, I'm not embarrassed to be with her in public because she smells like smoke, and I don't have to wait for her to finish her cig before she comes in the house. Above everything else, I'm so proud of her for choosing a healthier life for herself, her kids, and especially her grandchildren. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about my child seeing her smoke or smelling it on her after my mom has been babysitting.

I'm lucky enough that I didn't pick up the habit, but take it from the child of a smoker - stay quit! You being healthy for your child and not introducing that to him is one of the best gifts you can give him!

May 2nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Thank you all the support and comments really help
May 2nd, 2013, 12:18 PM
You can do it. Just stay strong and get it thru your head that you are stronger than the addiction. It does get better and easier with time.

May 2nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I can't say from experience, but I know that my mom says that it got easier after the first year and just taking it day by day really helps. She's still really proud of herself and celebrates every year. My mom has trouble with addiction, so if my mom can quit, anyone can! You can do it for sure!

May 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I found out I was pregnant with my first DH and I went to a hypnotist to quit smoking. I thought it was a bunch of mumbo jumbo and didn't really think it would work but I left and haven't had a cigarette now in almost 5 years. I can'te ven stand the smell of the cigarette smoke anymore when I walk by it or on peoples clothes when they are around me.

The only thing I miss about smoking is these extra 20 lbs I carry around since quitting. I found I must've just lit a cigarette anytime I was hungry before. LOL

I don't know exactly how the hypnotist did it since I never went to sleep and she recorded the entire thing and all shes doing is talking about all the reasons to quit smoking and why smoking was bad and she'd interject every couple minutes with a loud STOP SMOKING. It was the strangest thing ever but it worked.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search