Natural Methods of Induction

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By SassySami
  • 1 Post By edgeofelise
  • 2 Post By bribugg13
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By bribugg13

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2013, 08:49 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So now that we are hitting the home stretch of our pregnancies I think this is a good topic.
Who here has tried in the past any natural methods of induction? (Walking, sex, nipple stimulation, evening primrose oil, black cohosh, red raspberry leaf tea, spicy foods etc) to jumpstart labor? Did they work for you? With DD I went overdue and was absolutely miserable. I've looked at a few of these and it seems to vary from person to person if they work. It is recommended that none are tried before 37/38 weeks though.

May 4th, 2013, 09:20 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I have used the herbs, did not work. Sex and walking worked the best for me. What got the baby in gets the baby out
MamaSkunk likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

May 4th, 2013, 11:09 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Natural induction methods can carry the same risks as artificial ones. Everybody should be aware of this and keep their midwife/OB informed as to what they are doing!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 4th, 2013, 01:55 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, I tried all kinds of stuff and none of it did a thing. This time I plan on just relaxing and letting him come when he pleases, since I'm pretty sure that's what'll happen anyway.
bribugg13 likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

May 4th, 2013, 02:07 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I also tried just about everything; tons of pineapple, spicy foods, the parmigiana with extra oregano & basil, EPO, RRL, bouncing on a ball, walking, sex/nip stim, had membranes stripped..... ummm did I miss anything? LOL The only things I didn't try were castor oil and black cohosh.

Connor was still past his due date when we tried to induce and after 48 hours of attempting inductions and labor, he still didn't want to come out and we ended in a c/s!

I don't plan on trying anything too much this time around as nothing worked with Connor, I truly believe that baby will come when baby is ready, regardless of what one does or doesn't do to "help" things along. I think it's coincidence if something actually works and baby comes shortly after. Hoping she wont' be as stubborn as he was!!
edgeofelise and MamaSkunk like this.

May 4th, 2013, 02:29 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I've taken EPO, but I was too afraid to do anything more than half the recommended dosage. I had sex, nipple stimulation, orgasm all rolled into one. An hour later I was in active labor. Of course I had been contracting for over a week and was already 4cm and 90% that same day. So maybe she was just ready. I don't think I would ever try castor oil or cohosh. The side effects scare me.
MamaSkunk likes this.
May 4th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Pineapple as a method of induction? Haven't heard of that one. Lol maybe that's why I've had all these crampy feelings lately as I've been chowing down on pineapple cause I have the worst craving for it lol.

May 4th, 2013, 03:11 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I've heard of pineapple- isn't it supposed to be fresh instead of canned?
May 4th, 2013, 03:15 PM
I've been eating both. I haven't ate much fruit since my first tri and now its one of the things I just wanna eat all the time. I better read up on this pineapple thing haha

May 4th, 2013, 05:17 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Yes, I remember reading about it - fresh pineapple - and have you ever seen the Costco sized containers of fresh pineapple? I ate the entire thing in 2 days.....and did not want to touch pineapple again for a long, long time! LOL I think it was the equivalent of 2-3 pineapples.
MamaSkunk likes this.

May 4th, 2013, 05:24 PM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used Castor oil ( and tried the normal stuff too) with my son....not again unless I am like way over due and desperate! I was miserable and desperate at 38 weeks with him...I think it did work though. I took it as recommended Friday afternoon. I had the expected bathroom experience all day Friday following with contractions that were steady but not painful and subsided. I had another bought of diarrhea on Saturday with contractions here and there. I was also walking a lot those days.

Anyway, my water broke Saturday night/ Sunday morning and I had him Sunday night. It was nice to be cleaned out after being constipated most of my pregnancy, but I think it was to soon because I had a very difficult labor and delivery.I I guess I might have gone into labor anyway that night but I think the castor oil did move contribute to my water breaking.

I also found that nipple stimulation caused contractions but they never stuck around when I stopped...not sure if that had anything to do with it either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search