Contacts/glasses in the OR ***FINAL update

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Rochelle
It occurred to me today that I would like to not be completely blind (I'm extremely near-sighted) in the OR so I can fully see our baby. Then it occurred to me that I can't remember if I wore glasses or contacts or nothing with the past three births. I was so dizzy headed from the harsh labors and the emergency c-section and then the pain meds that I really don't remember.

Is there anyone here that can tell me if contacts or glasses are allowed during the actual surgery?

update:
** OB appt. today. He said that as far as he knows contacts and glasses are ok. Also he was sure makeup is and thinks toenail polish is fine as well, just not fingernail. I am going to get up with the hospital in a few weeks to verify. He seemed a little iffy on the eyewear and polish and I want to be sure prior to arriving. I'll prob just wear contacts.

Final update Broke down and called the hospital and they said:
- YES to eyewear but bring glasses JIC they have an issue with the contacts.
- YES to makeup
- YES to toenail polish
- YES to photo's of the baby in OR but not the surgery itself

Last edited by 4hearts; May 30th, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
May 4th, 2013, 04:27 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good question. I'm near sighted also.

May 4th, 2013, 06:14 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Both, as far as I know, I was wearing my contacts during my non-emergency c-section with Connor.

May 4th, 2013, 08:54 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was wearing contacts during both my c-sections. I am not sure if they are actually allowed. But even if they weren't, I would probably lie and say I didn't have any in. There is NO WAY I am missing seeing my baby!

May 4th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Rochelle
Ok cool, thanks. I'm going to ask at my appointment on Monday to be sure and ask about nail polish and makeup.
May 5th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I would think contacts would be fine and I've had friends wear their glasses during theirs.

May 5th, 2013, 10:40 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would insist on wearing my glasses. My eyes are also pretty much useless without correction.

May 5th, 2013, 02:42 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the polish/makeup if I were you - I've never had a c-section so I might be wrong, but I've had about a dozen orthopedic surgeries with varying levels of anesthesia (general, conscious sedation, spinal, etc) and they ALWAYS tell me no polish or makeup in the OR. Maybe it's different for a c-section, though? I just know that polish can interfere with the pulse/ox monitor and their ability to monitor circulation/oxygenation by checking the color of your nail beds.

May 6th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Rochelle
May 6th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Super Mommy
Im not sure about make up or nail polish but I DO remember them telling me not to wear a single piece of jewelry..
May 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Rochelle
bump for final update in case it helps anyone else to know.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search