How many...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyla0709
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By TeresaV

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
burp clothes?

bibs?

sleepers?

socks?

If anyone has a list of suggested amounts, please feel free to share. I can't find one.
May 5th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Super Mommy
Burp rags I would probably plan on using 2-3 a day starting out, so maybe 9-12 depending on how often you want to do laundry.

Sleepers I would shoot for maybe 6-9? Enough for 3-4 days. But both of my previous kiddos were summer babies and almost never wore sleepers when they were newborns.

Socks, I'm not sure of, I never put socks on my boys until they were walking, newborns tend to lose them too fast, they slip off really easily. I would plan on 4 or 5 pairs at the most.
Hopeful2BMommy likes this.
May 5th, 2013, 06:15 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
burp clothes? They say you can never have enough, they are so versatile you can use them for just about anything! I, however, had MORE than enough ha ha baskets full of them, some were never even used!!!

bibs? We had quite a few (6-10 maybe? whenever we saw a cute one we'd buy it lol) and rarely, if ever, used them. Connor was just not a drool-y baby, he neve even got his first tooth until he was almost 15 months and it just popped out one day. I guess it's one of those things that depends on the baby? He was EBF'd and we didn't do solids for a long time (after 6 months), so he needed food bibs later on, but never wore them as an infant. And by the time he DID need to wear them for eating, the infant/baby ones were too small!!

sleepers?
I agree with the PP about a summer baby not needing too many. Although, I hate being hot so I have the AC kickin' during the summer months and it's pretty chilly at night in my house. For the most part with Connor (also a summer baby) he wore a onesie and sleep sack, or just a onesie with a light blanket over his legs. After 3-6 moths I started putting him in sleepers.

socks? Again, depends on your baby/preference. Being a summer baby, he never wore socks, and they don't need to wear shoes until they are walking. I don't remember how many we had, but Connor never wore them until the weather turned cooler and they were needed to keep his feet warm.

May 5th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really understand how the season effects if baby wears sleepers or not during the night. We keep our house at the same temperature during the whole year.
May 5th, 2013, 06:18 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Id say maybe a dozen burp cloths(but I use receiving blankets for this...dual purpose...just toss in the wash when ones dirty)

Bibs I rarely even used til DD was even older and I mostly used them when she started teething cause she drooled pretty bad then. So I would worry for a few months at least on those...But again I had about a dozen.

Sleepers I keep to about 7. One per day as I only used them for jammies.
Socks same there. About 7. Enough for one a day. Anything more is kinda outrageous. You have to remember you will do laundry at least once a week.

I always do DDs clothes by themselves so usually on day 6 I do laundry. Also they grow like weeds you will be buying a lot of sleepers and socks etc ALL the time for the next few years. No sense in buying a dozen sleepers if he outgrows them in a month and hes only worn everything twice.

Also I recommend you get a lingerie bag (its a mesh bag) that I use for kids socks. And DD has never lost a sock since then.

May 5th, 2013, 06:23 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2BMommy View Post
I don't really understand how the season effects if baby wears sleepers or not during the night. We keep our house at the same temperature during the whole year.
If you keep your house at the same temp, then I suppose it wouldn't. But I never/rarely ran my heat during the winter months, so it got pretty chilly in my house at night (extra blankets, heavy jammies) ...and during the summer, I have the AC on pretty low so it can sometimes get chilly at night as well. When the weather is nice, the windows are open - and the temps change. Living in FL this time around, I'm not sure how the temps will change in my house, but it's definitely never the same!

May 5th, 2013, 06:25 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Amy, I took the same thing into consideration when planning on sleepwear. We keep our A/C pretty high during the summer, so I have lots of long sleeved sleepers and a few sleep sacks to make sure baby is warm enough.

May 5th, 2013, 06:50 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We keep our house about the same temp year round and open window days are rare around here. It always one or the other (or both this past week)

We do light weight sleepers/sleep and plays for nap time/night time. Even now, Bourne sleeps in long sleeves and pants year round. A lot will depend on your baby. Just like grown os, some are super hot sleepers and others are not. Bourne went through a lot because he always spit up on them.

As far as burp clothes -again, depends on the baby. B1had reflux pretty bad and we would go through at least half a dozen a day, if not more. I use receiving blankets (better coverage for projectile spit up) or cloth diapers.

Bibs, we barely used them even after he started food. They always irritated his skin.
May 6th, 2013, 08:44 AM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a registry book from Babies R Us and it states the following:

2-4 fitted crib sheets
2 waterproof mattress pads
2-4 changing pad covers
4-8 swaddling/receiving blankets
2-4 sheet savers
8-12 bibs
6-12 burp cloths
6-8 pacifiers
10-12 wash cloths
4-6 hooded towels/towels
9-12 bodysuits
6-8 sleep n play (footie pjs)
4-6 side snap shirts
3 sleep gowns

May 6th, 2013, 09:38 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We kinda buy as we go. I dont think bibs are necessary at the newborn age and I dont even really use them for drool. I actually dont like them. I have one that the people who made Everett's bedding gave us and its my favorite bib but I only use it when I start solids. The bibs the come with outfits are useless IMO. They dont have any backing so if they are wet with drool so is the outfit.

Socks its going to be in the triple digits here sometimes 120 so we will mainly be doing onesies and no socks its just too hot.

Sleepers we have quite a few light weight ones and keep our house about 75 in the summer. But again we buy as we go because we never know how fast they will outgrow the sizes. And every brand has a completely different sizing system its so annoying.

Burp cloths- I use prefold diapers or an older receiving blanket. I didnt find burp cloths to hold anything if they were to spit up.

May 6th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am pretty old school when it comes to this. I know a lot of new moms want the brand new expensive count of everything, but let me share some tricks I picked up a long the way.

burp clothes?

Never really bothered with them because I always one of those cheapo gerber baby receiving blanket on hand and it was bigger and could catch a whole lot more mess and save my shirt so much better. Also, moms seem to develop the permanent small spit on stain usually on their left shoulders. Deal with it. When Sebastian came along, I took all of Alex's old, ragged well loved receiving blankets (and some yard sale finds), cut them in half and hemmed them. Worked out great. A few moms I know swear by using the cheapo cloth diapers you can get like 5 to a pack at walmart, they are plain white and easily decorated by yourself if youw ant. Obviously, more absorbent.

bibs?

Alex was a drool monster. Had to wear a bib around the clock. Sebastian wasn't so bad. I picked up a bunch at yard sales and will probably supplment it with a 12 pack from walmart. The cloth ones work well for infant droolers. When feeding time comes, you might want to pick up the bigger ones with the plastic backing so the food stains don't leak through...another 12 pack.

sleepers?

My boys lived in sleepers when they were super little. It was chilly when they arrived and I keep my house at an air conditioned 70 degrees during the summer months. I think it would depend on where you live and the weather. It might be wiser just to invest in more onsies than sleepers there? I don't know. I would say 15 of each size worked well for me. (not newborn) I mean 0-3/3-6/6-9. Babies puke and poop on themselves a lot....so its not uncommon for them to go through 2-3 changes of clothes a day.

socks?

If you live in a house like mine....stock up. There is no such thing as too many socks. The dryer eats em, the vaccuum eats em, little fricken trolls come out of the woodwork and steals em, the cat hides em. No one ever has socks. Plus they double as mittens in a pinch to protect his face from those razor sharp talons they call nails.

May 6th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You may not want to purchase anything else. If you live close to family or friend, they are likely to bring something when they make their initial visit. I have a feeling you will have plenty of each.

May 6th, 2013, 04:51 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As far as socks go, we always had tons. I made sure to buy the kind that have a good elastic at the top otherwise they just fall off. I always ended up losing a bunch in the dryer, to the dogs chewing, to DD stealing them for her dolls lol. So I always bought extras.

I only had a few, good quality bibs. Honestly, maybe 4? I just never used them that much and I am always doing laundry to keep up with my family so there were always clean ones. If for some reason I could find one, I would just throw on an old onesie I didn't care if it got stained for feeding time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search