Appointment gave me something to think about....

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 5 Post By edgeofelise
  • 2 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By Kyla0709
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 3 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 2 Post By overlinmommy17

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So I found out today that all that pelvic pressure I've been feeling? It's the baby's head. His head is crammed into my pelvis, which gave the u/s tech a lot of trouble when she was trying to get some measurements.

He is still measuring big. The measurement she gave me, which is REALLY rough, and she told me to take with a grain of salt, is 7lbs 1 oz. She said he's just a big baby.

When I met with the doctor, he said that a lot of doctors' school of thought is when they see a baby this size, they automatically decide C-Section. His school of thought, however, is "it doesn't hurt to try." So he told me of all the dangers of attempting a vaginal delivery, and cautioned me that even if we tried vaginal delivery, it may turn out we would have to have a c-section anyway. So he told me to think about everything, and not to necessarily make a decision, but get used to the idea that a c-section is a huge possibility. Especially after he tried to check my cervix after my Group B Strep test, and he noted that my pelvis is narrow.

So now I have a lot to think about. I never even gave c-section much thought. So now I have to get used to the idea that even if I do attempt a vaginal birth that I may have to end up having a c-section if the baby is just not coming out. So now, of course, I'm even more nervous about this baby coming.

The tech was able to get one REALLY good picture of his face, even though he was shoved WAY down in my pelvis:

Also? He has LOTS of hair :-D

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
May 8th, 2013, 08:36 AM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hoping you don't have to have a cs! At least Dr is willing to let you try for a vaginal birth though!!! Most would be ready to just do a cs and be done with it!

May 8th, 2013, 08:41 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's a lot to think about! At least he's giving you the choice and not just making it sound like you can't even try.

May 8th, 2013, 08:49 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is SO common for doctors to think babies are "too big." DO NOT let yourself stress about this! There just isn't any way to know what your body is capable of beforehand and predicting size really is just a guess. I'm glad your doctor is "willing" to let you try, but I also hope that more than that, you feel supported and that you trust your body to do what it was made to do. The fact that he's already engaged in your pelvis is definitely a good sign. You can do it!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

May 8th, 2013, 09:04 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's great that your doctor is open to you trying for a vaginal birth. Just remember how "rough" that 7 pound estimate is. They are notoriously off. It sounds like your doctor is at least being open-minded, while preparing you ahead of time for all possible scenarios.

May 8th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a 9lb baby at vaginally at 41 weeks I only pushed for 30 minutes...it can be done and is done by lots of women around the world everyday. Don't let the dr scare you Stephanie. You do what YOU want and feel comfortable with.

May 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the others. Especially since he is so crammed, accurate measurements are extremely hard to get, so take them with a grain of salt.

The choice is yours, but know that usually our bodies are fairly amazing at doing what they are supposed to do.

If it were me, I would want to try a vaginal birth because the recovery is much, much easier but prepare yourself that if things stall out, then you could have a c-section. Trust your doctor and be open for anything.
beatlechicksteph likes this.
May 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Super Mommy
I'm small, like 5'2 and my last baby was 9lb 3oz and he came sliding out very easily. My MIL gave birth to my SIL who was 12lbs (yes 12!) vaginally. If he's engaged already, I would say your chance of a vaginal birth are pretty darn good. This little guy was measuring at 4lb 4oz at my U/S at 31 weeks, so pretty big for his gestational age. You can do it!!
May 8th, 2013, 10:14 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I agree with everything that has been said. Barring from medical reasons for a large baby such as GD your body wont make a baby too large for you to birth. There are always different circumstances but you can do this, the fact that he is engaged is a great sign that he does and will fit through your pelvis!

May 8th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies!!! I knew that posting here would make me feel better! I am definitely planning on trying on giving birth vaginally. My mom gave birth to all three of us 9lb babies vaginally and with no meds. And my friend just pointed out the lady a few weeks ago who gave birth to a 15lb baby vaginally. I'm just going to relax and try and let my body do what it's meant to do. At least I'm aware of the possibility of a c-section now, so I guess there's that.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
May 8th, 2013, 10:48 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are ALMOST 36 weeks Steph on average babies only gain maybe half a pound a week. So given that ratio it is possible that Arthur may be 9 pounds. He could also slow down his weight gain between now and then and only be 8 pounds. Also at this stage Ultrasound is highly inaccurate for weight and is often off up to a pound either way. AND he is already engaged in your pelvis it is entirely possible he could run out of room and come early. (Ultimately its Arthur who decides when to come by running out of room and its his body that will release the hormones that start labor) You don't have Gestational Diabetes so there's no reason for a C Section. Do not let your Dr push you into one.

May 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Amen Karry!
MamaSkunk likes this.

May 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeofelise View Post
It is SO common for doctors to think babies are "too big." DO NOT let yourself stress about this! There just isn't any way to know what your body is capable of beforehand and predicting size really is just a guess. I'm glad your doctor is "willing" to let you try, but I also hope that more than that, you feel supported and that you trust your body to do what it was made to do. The fact that he's already engaged in your pelvis is definitely a good sign. You can do it!
I agree!! Do some research and really make an informed decision. At this point, u/s weight guesses can be off as much as a pound. Just know that most women's pelvis are made to handle a vaginal delivery unless there are extenuating circumstances like gestational diabetes or pelvic deformities. Even with large babies, there are positions that will help your hips open up more (on your hands and knees is an example). Lying flat on your back will close up your pelvis and work against you. Most importantly, make a decision that you are comfortable with, not one that you feel pressured into
May 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can do it! Give it all you got before you consent to a c-section. They are rough. I have every faith you can do it. And I agree with Karry, babies weights slow down these last few weeks so while he might be bigger, I certainly don't think he is going to be too big that an automatic c-section is required.

May 8th, 2013, 03:34 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my dr will not give me a weight via ultrasound because she said that is not a true weight...sometimes baby can weigh a pound less or a pound more so right now she is just telling me that i could deliver a baby a few ounces bigger than my last child or a pound bigger. hopefully your body will tell you what needs to be done and the safest option will be done!

May 8th, 2013, 05:18 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My friend was told her baby was going to be over 9 lbs (she was told this about a week before she was due), so the doctor talked her into a csection on her due date. Her baby ended up only being 7lbs something... So they were obviously off with their measurements! I'm glad you get to go ahead and plan on having a vaginal birth and like any of us, a csection is always a possibility if things just aren't going right. I am sure you can do it! And I bet he may not be as big as they are guessing!
May 8th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Halfway through my labor the doctor handling me at the time was checking the baby's position and I asked her to guess how big the baby was. She said "Definitely 7 or 8lbs" my kid was 9lbs 14oz.

So, that should tell you how difficult it is to judge size and weight. Also keep in mind that your baby may be a long and thin baby. Mine was! 22 1/2 inches
navywifey2003 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 8th, 2013, 09:34 PM
We were taking bets on Everett's weight everyone said 8lbs he was 7lbs 8oz but 22 inches. So he looked bigger because he was long.

May 9th, 2013, 06:01 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
My baby is already almost 8 lbs! I have 9 + lb babies... Trust your body!!!! It's an amazing thing and you will do just fine!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search